follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
deedz

Drives: Rocket Bunny FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question FRS vs 335i

So Im currently stuck between two cars right now and obviously you know the two from the title.

Im looking for a car thats light ( which the frs is) but also has power (which the 335i has) I can get a new FRS for about the same price as a 335i and maintenance wise I dont really worry about.

I want to track both cars but it will also be my daily. Now im looking to have big plans for this car whether its the 335i or the FRS as the 335i has just come out with a new single turbo kit that is fairly reliable on STOCK internals at 600+ hp to the wheels which to me...I like. But I also like the fact that the FRS can almost keep up with most high powered track cars in its stock form with simply minor tire mods. If i were to get one or the other...Id completley modify the suspension and eventually do weight reduction mods.

So the question is...which one? I like the fact that with the 335i, its already turboed and can bring 650+ hp on stock internals while the FRS with its high compression, will require engine builds to even get there. I want to have high power and amazing handling so which would be easier to get there with the least money in your opinion?
deedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The cost of maintenance on the beemer alone will change your mind....

335 is super nice but its the little things that will add up over time
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Wreakin

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Two totally different types of cars. 335i is the 'musclecar' of the euro world. It is even worse handling than the Mustang GT. It can be made fast in a straight line though, for relatively low cost.
Wreakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Razz

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Have you ever tracked before?
If so how many times?
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
deedz

Drives: Rocket Bunny FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I've never tracked before. Looking for a car capable since my 200k+ mileage lexus probably wont do the job.
deedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,909 Times in 2,039 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedzman View Post
But I also like the fact that the FRS can almost keep up with most high powered track cars in its stock form with simply minor tire mods.
Personally, I'd go with the FR-S, but if you think that with tires it's going to keep up with most higher-powered cars at the track, I believe you're in for a big disappointment. Power/weight is, like, important and stuff...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Mild2Wild

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Never tracked before and yet you desire 600+ at the wheels? Doesn't sound like the best place to begin...probably develop a lot of bad habits trying to muscle a handful of a car around a track.
Mild2Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
excited86

Drives: none
Quote:
So Im currently stuck between two cars right now and obviously you know the two from the title.

Im looking for a car thats light ( which the frs is) but also has power (which the 335i has) I can get a new FRS for about the same price as a 335i and maintenance wise I dont really worry about.

I want to track both cars but it will also be my daily. Now im looking to have big plans for this car whether its the 335i or the FRS as the 335i has just come out with a new single turbo kit that is fairly reliable on STOCK internals at 600+ hp to the wheels which to me...I like. But I also like the fact that the FRS can almost keep up with most high powered track cars in its stock form with simply minor tire mods. If i were to get one or the other...Id completley modify the suspension and eventually do weight reduction mods.

So the question is...which one? I like the fact that with the 335i, its already turboed and can bring 650+ hp on stock internals while the FRS with its high compression, will require engine builds to even get there. I want to have high power and amazing handling so which would be easier to get there with the least money in your opinion?
bimmer 4 door?

I was in the same boat as you, but I chose the FRS.

If you don't plant to keep both cars for more than 4 years, get the bimmer.

If you want go kart feeling, get the frs.

the list goes on.
excited86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Apples to oranges buddy, if you plan on tracking it and its a very high speed course take the 335i and make it loose weight because its a fat pig. If you have a technical course near by get the FR-S.

I honestly would take the fr-s why?

Lower maintenance cost, value for your money, warranty since i assume you will be buying the 335i used to be in the same ball park as the frs, since you have never tracked before i would recommend starting in a low power car. If i were you id actually start with a used miata so if you crash it you wont break the bank.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Upgrades for bmws are more expensive than japanese parts typically. I think it really comes down to the test drive. The bmw will have a softer ride stock and be more comfortable, whereas the FR-S/BRZ you feel a lot more of the road. You may want to factor in the maintenance if you are planning to keep it for a long time. BMW maintenance even avoiding the dealership is expensive compared to the FR-S/BRZ. If you are leasing it or only keeping it for the short term then its not AS big of an issue, but random stuff does happen. Since both are RWD cars, I would factor in a set of winter tires/rims as well.
hyper4mance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Max Schnell

Drives: Lexus GS350 F-sport
What is your budget? Without a realistic budget its all a pipe dream.
Max Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

i think you should take your lexus to an autocross event and go from there.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
If you've never been to the track but plan to, I would absolutely recommend the FR-S. It is simpler, lighter, more in tune with your driving inputs. It will teach you to be a better driver, much like a Miata would. A 335i will mask your shortcomings with lots of horsepower and grip; it's not a good place to start. You want to first learn to drive a slow car fast, not drive a fast car slow. If you wanted to get the FR-S and eventually switch to the Bimmer you could always do that.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i am a huge bmw superfan. i've also tracked and modded cars.

with no hesitation i'm recommending the frs/brz if you're going to do this.
sickmint79 is offline   Reply With Quote