follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
jaime3

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Battery problems

Has anyone needed to replace their battery already. I bought my frs almost 2 years ago and just last week my car wouldn't start so i jumped it. About a week later, my car battery had died again. Should my battery have died so soon. I have a civic with a full audio system in it for a couple years now and it hasn't once done anything like this. Any suggestions?
jaime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
OEM batteries are not the best and can die after 3 years. But, check and make sure there is enough distilled water in each of the cells (these batteries are not maintenance free and need distilled water at times).

Otherwise make sure you do not have a light on or something else that can kill the battery, and when you get a new one, have the place check the charging system (places like Sears do this for free when you buy a new battery) to be sure it is working correctly.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,867 Times in 16,441 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
In addition to BRZnut's post, you may consider checking it yourself with a simple volt meter. Here is a good guide:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_runs_down.htm

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
I believe you can see the battery (bus) voltage through the torque app.

You could check it before & after starting and under full load (stereo, rear defog, AC, seat heaters, etc) that way.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm having the same problem, I had toyota check it out and they said it was "discharged" but not "bad".

Yesterday the car started fine 3 times in the day, and when I left work to go pickup parts I left the car 5 minutes off and it wouldn't even crank when I came back...

I will call to get it changed if it ever happens again.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Auror_Elite

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GUYS I'm having trouble with a discharged battery right now..I have left the trunk open and I think thats causes the battery to run off for 5 days.I tried the start jumper from another car but no luck yet any idea what to do I needed to use it now pls help guys??
Auror_Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
It is probably dead. Try to charge it, if it doesn't hold a charge, it's dead. Auto parts stores usually test/charge for free.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
auto parts stores will check/charge for free. batteries are capable of lasting up to 10 years sometimes and othertimes they can last 10 days. sometimes you just get unlucky and get a bad cell in a battery or just get a bad battery in general. i work in an autoparts store and check batteries all day and i am here to tell you that every battery is different as to how long it will last, how long the reserve stays active and even how much cranking amperage they actually pump out. you can have a battery in a car with full stereo, subs etc and keep it for 10 years with no issues and you can buy a brand new car off the lot and have it die in a week through no fault of your own or the dealer. sometimes luck just isnt on your side. i warranty swap batteries all day sometimes and customers are furious and want to know what they are doing thats casuing these issues. (sometimes it really is their fault tho, leaving lights on, things plugged in that shouldnt be or my personal favorite, the 16 year old who attempted a full speaker/sub/double din install with no experience and a friend who owns a ricer civic who knows "everything")