follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #771
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmichelle View Post
So here is what my service adviser said the problem was after the recall:

"Flywheels damaged due to set pins" - this is what caused the noise when I was accelerating and braking after the recall. They are ordering parts.

What does this mean? I did an initial google and it seems like flywheels are only on MT vehicles. I definitely have an auto. Want to get a basic understanding of what could have occurred and where if someone here is interested in schooling me.
A flywheel attaches the clutch to the engine.

"Flywheels" may very well be something else entirely. Or could just be what they call the flex plate, lives in the same spot as a flywheel but on an automatic.

Clutches in automatic transmissions are not the equivalent of a clutch on a manual, that would be the torque converter. Unless you get in to fancier stuff with a wet start up clutch or DCT.

Flywheels and set pins... Maybe flex plate and the lock for breaking the crank bolt loose? No idea.

Also, repair orders are often worded strangely to point out a specific part in the parts catalog or labor guide. A specific part with a vague translation from some other language. The cubbies on the dash on a Mercedes are called pigeon holes. No one would reasonably call it that, but that's how it's called out. You never really know what they're talking about.

Last edited by maslin; 04-16-2019 at 11:24 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-16-2019), lynnmichelle (04-18-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #772
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I got my car back Friday. Yesterday, with 76 miles on it, the engine spun another bearing.
Well, DarkPira7e, that's a damn shame -

I do believe I would walk away from that car -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #773
Turfstuff

Drives: FRS, Miata,Jeep, K5Blazer
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I posted earlier about the recall and have heard back from Toyota Corporate. At this time the dealer said that this is a problem with the recall repair procedure so it is not their problem. Toyota Corp. is offering $2500 towards either a repair done by the dealer or in parts bought through the dealer only. Short block rebuild is $6800, used engine is $7200 at the dealership. With a used engine they said the recall would have to be done and to quote the Toyota rep directly, "you will probably end up with the same problem." Dealer has been very nice and I was told they have had this issue happen multiple times. So I brought the car home. Here are the next steps.
1. Contact state attorney general.
2. NHTSA complaint.
3. Consumer Protection Agency complaint.
4. Better Business Bureau Complaint.
5. Looking at a lawyer but that is looking slim unless I can find other people in Arkansas with this problem to join in.
5. Contact my insurance agent.

I am stuck with a 56k car that I have to pay for and insure for one more year but can't drive. Last Toyota and Subaru for me ever. This is a nightmare.

#ToyotakilledmyFRS
Turfstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turfstuff For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-16-2019), mswbrz (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #774
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfstuff View Post
I posted earlier about the recall and have heard back from Toyota Corporate. At this time the dealer said that this is a problem with the recall repair procedure so it is not their problem. Toyota Corp. is offering $2500 towards either a repair done by the dealer or in parts bought through the dealer only. Short block rebuild is $6800, used engine is $7200 at the dealership. With a used engine they said the recall would have to be done and to quote the Toyota rep directly, "you will probably end up with the same problem." Dealer has been very nice and I was told they have had this issue happen multiple times. So I brought the car home. Here are the next steps.
2. NHTSA complaint.
5. Looking at a lawyer but that is looking slim unless I can find other people in Arkansas with this problem to join in.

I am stuck with a 56k car that I have to pay for and insure for one more year but can't drive. Last Toyota and Subaru for me ever. This is a nightmare.

#ToyotakilledmyFRS
Now THAT is just too damn bad -

I would be tempted to drive it (transport it) up to the Geyer Smith Shopping Center in Little Rock, some Saturday late afternoon and drop it off … and then report it stolen. See if they can find any part of it by Sunday morning.

humfrz
Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #775
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
A flywheel attaches the clutch to the transmission.

"Flywheels" may very well be something else entirely. Or could just be what they call the flex plate, lives in the same spot as a flywheel but on an automatic.

Clutches in automatic transmissions are not the equivalent of a clutch on a manual, that would be the torque converter. Unless you get in to fancier stuff with a wet start up clutch or DCT.

Flywheels and set pins... Maybe flex plate and the lock for breaking the crank bolt loose? No idea.

Also, repair orders are often worded strangely to point out a specific part in the parts catalog or labor guide. A specific part with a vague translation from some other language. The cubbies on the dash on a Mercedes are called pigeon holes. No one would reasonably call it that, but that's how it's called out. You never really know what they're talking about.
Hey! That's what I would call them!

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
maslin (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #776
Turfstuff

Drives: FRS, Miata,Jeep, K5Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Now THAT is just too damn bad -

I would be tempted to drive it (transport it) up to the Geyer Smith Shopping Center in Little Rock, some Saturday late afternoon and drop it off … and then report it stolen. See if they can find any part of it by Sunday morning.

humfrz
I work about 4 blocks from Geyer Springs.
Turfstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #777
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Are you a cop?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:16 AM   #778
humfrz

Quote:
Oh, my -

Are you familiar with Redfield, AR?

There once was a big ol toxicology lab at the end of Boone St. I've ofter wondered what it is now??

humfrz
Old 04-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #779
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmichelle View Post
So here is what my service adviser said the problem was after the recall:

"Flywheels damaged due to set pins" - this is what caused the noise when I was accelerating and braking after the recall. They are ordering parts.

What does this mean? I did an initial google and it seems like flywheels are only on MT vehicles. I definitely have an auto. Want to get a basic understanding of what could have occurred and where if someone here is interested in schooling me.
Heyyy told u that sound was different than engine knocking. Sounds better than blown engine.
Sounds like they didn't align the engine and transmission and broke something in the torque converter?

Last edited by msaikhan; 04-17-2019 at 08:26 AM.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
lynnmichelle (04-18-2019), Tcoat (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #780
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I got my car back Friday. Yesterday, with 76 miles on it, the engine spun another bearing.
Dude that sux
Old 04-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #781
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
Heyyy told u that sound was different than engine knocking. Sounds better than blown engine.
Sounds like they didn't align the engine and transmission and broke something in the torque converter?
A cracked flexplate can make a healthy knocking noise. GM trucks do it regularly.

47 Documents. Looks like this one is new? Subaru procedure revised 4/11/19. The only section highlighted is for California dealer sticker stuff. Amazing how much shorter and less kindergarten the Subaru documents are.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-7336.pdf

Last edited by maslin; 04-17-2019 at 11:04 AM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #782
c.klingner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.klingner View Post
That’s what I said and again the tech’s exact words were that he naver seen it low on oil so he can’t say. He recommended I check it every few hundred miles after they fix it and I get it back. It’s just ridiculous to me that they keep pushing this off on me to look into.
Update on my car. After 2 months the dealership has finally narrowed the problem down to a bad direct injector seal. They are saying it was the dealership that did the short block so it is covered and Subaru has agreed to pay for everything. Still haven’t come up with why my car was low on oil but I will continue to monitor that when I get my car back and if it happens again I’ll jiat get it towed to the dealer so they can figure it out. So the end results were that I had 3-4 valve that were improperly shimmed and they had to reset the valve lash, and a bad injector seal. Between maint and labor it would have cost me almost 4K to fix if Subaru wouldn’t have picked up the tab. Hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with this kind of thing as it’s been a stressful couple months. 2 Quick question though, if the injector seal was bad shouldn’t that have shown up when they pressure tested the cylinders? If it’s not creating a seal I would expect it to be leaking when the test was performed. Also, if the valve lash is not correct could that have caused the seal to blow? Just curious about those. I will update the list with the new info.
c.klingner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #783
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.klingner View Post
Update on my car. After 2 months the dealership has finally narrowed the problem down to a bad direct injector seal. They are saying it was the dealership that did the short block so it is covered and Subaru has agreed to pay for everything. Still haven’t come up with why my car was low on oil but I will continue to monitor that when I get my car back and if it happens again I’ll jiat get it towed to the dealer so they can figure it out. So the end results were that I had 3-4 valve that were improperly shimmed and they had to reset the valve lash, and a bad injector seal. Between maint and labor it would have cost me almost 4K to fix if Subaru wouldn’t have picked up the tab. Hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with this kind of thing as it’s been a stressful couple months. 2 Quick question though, if the injector seal was bad shouldn’t that have shown up when they pressure tested the cylinders? If it’s not creating a seal I would expect it to be leaking when the test was performed. Also, if the valve lash is not correct could that have caused the seal to blow? Just curious about those. I will update the list with the new info.
It could be that they just pressured the cylinders during the recall work and not pressure tested them -

humfrz
Old 04-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #784
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Quote:
2. NHTSA complaint.

#ToyotakilledmyFRS
That's BS. You dropped off a working car and should get a working car back from the dealer. It would be the same if they screwed up a $30 oil change forgetting to put oil or something in it. Then telling you to eat the 10k repair cost. Toyota is right that the dealership should pay for it. They f'ed it up and should eat it. If it was me I'd park it right in front of the dealer with a big sign on it, then see how fast they call you.

First off I wouldn't try and rebuilt an engine with a damaged crankshaft. To get a newer car with a match fit bearings correct you need a really good machine shop to do the crank grinding and assembly to get the clearances perfect. If they can't get a timing cover on what are the odds of rebuilding the short block? Good engine machine shops are very rare IMO. I think the odds of suscess here are very low and risky.

That amount is way too much for a used engine. Is that including labor and everything? Go to car-part.com and search for engines under Subaru and Scion they range from about $2-4k. On craigslist around here in Norcal there are tons of these cars being parted out.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue