follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recommended OC/LA shop to paint trunk spoiler and fill in trunk holes?

Now that I've decided I'll be keeping my car for many more years than originally planned, I'd like to go after my most wanted mod of all time, switching to the wingless trunk with Five Axis lip spoiler!

Since Five Axis no longer makes them, I found this "replica" off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRS-BRZ-Five...NVZTkS&vxp=mtr

I'd like to get it painted silver and also find a shop to cover up the holes leftover from the unmounted stock Limited wing. I actually might just try to find a plastic plug to plug it up and have that painted.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
dazob

Drives: 2015 FR-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hey bud give Raul a call he's a paint match master. Union Auto Body in Azusa . Great work with affordable pricing. Custom 5 Axis Front Bumper!
dazob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Fountain Valley Bodyworks or DTMAuto
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #4
tracerit

I'm actually gonna try to do it myself. Figured the lip is small enough that any imperfections from a novice work job won't be too noticeable. If it doesn't work out I'll try and give those guys a call.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i bought one of the last remaining geniune 5AD spoiler local from a 5AD rep. Pre Painted Red too but i too faced this dilemma with the stock wing and the holes which the 5AD wont cover up.

I was told by the guy who sold me the spoiler that it is heavily advised to re-weld the holes because of the way the trunk slopes downwards and with water possibly getting inside creating rust. I also asked quotes around, including FV Body Works and they quoted me $8xx back in September. This is without the suggested welding. They also have to repaint the quarter panel because the holes are too close which they have to match the paint in that area.

all in all, i didnt go with that and the spoiler sits in my garage waiting for a donor, wingless trunk to mount on. Still waiting for that FRS/BRZ Premium red owner who will swap with me locally.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
i bought one of the last remaining geniune 5AD spoiler local from a 5AD rep. Pre Painted Red too but i too faced this dilemma with the stock wing and the holes which the 5AD wont cover up.

I was told by the guy who sold me the spoiler that it is heavily advised to re-weld the holes because of the way the trunk slopes downwards and with water possibly getting inside creating rust. I also asked quotes around, including FV Body Works and they quoted me $8xx back in September. This is without the suggested welding. They also have to repaint the quarter panel because the holes are too close which they have to match the paint in that area.

all in all, i didnt go with that and the spoiler sits in my garage waiting for a donor, wingless trunk to mount on. Still waiting for that FRS/BRZ Premium red owner who will swap with me locally.
(queue your avatar as well lol)

Oh man. I guess my plan with using painted trim panel retainers isn't gonna work out too well. I've read about the possibility of rust so maybe I'll hold out until El Nino is done with.

Wondering if there's a grommet I can use to help fill up the hole and just wax the hell out of that area lol.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
Fountain Valley Bodyworks or DTMAuto
Stay away from dtm
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shellslinger For This Useful Post:
Vincenttam (04-20-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
(queue your avatar as well lol)

Oh man. I guess my plan with using painted trim panel retainers isn't gonna work out too well. I've read about the possibility of rust so maybe I'll hold out until El Nino is done with.

Wondering if there's a grommet I can use to help fill up the hole and just wax the hell out of that area lol.
Try searching for "Sheet Metal Hole Plug - Flush" (especially on Ebay). Get the right size and it will fit tight and let no water in. You can silicone the bottom side for extra protection.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Try searching for "Sheet Metal Hole Plug - Flush" (especially on Ebay). Get the right size and it will fit tight and let no water in. You can silicone the bottom side for extra protection.
ah that's exactly what i'm looking for. some times you know what you want but you don't know what the proper name of it is haha

after looking at some youtube videos, it seems like rust is serious business. I'm not sure if just plugging it with a rubber material will be all that protective now.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
ah that's exactly what i'm looking for. some times you know what you want but you don't know what the proper name of it is haha

after looking at some youtube videos, it seems like rust is serious business. I'm not sure if just plugging it with a rubber material will be all that protective now.
Yep rust is serious, especially in wet climates. If you want some security when using a cap do this...

Paint the inside of the hole with automotive touch up paint. Clear coat it with automotive touch up clear. Cap the hole. For a plastic cap, seal the cap underside with silicone. A rubber cap shouldn't need this step. You should be good to go.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Yep rust is serious, especially in wet climates. If you want some security when using a cap do this...

Paint the inside of the hole with automotive touch up paint. Clear coat it with automotive touch up clear. Cap the hole. For a plastic cap, seal the cap underside with silicone. A rubber cap shouldn't need this step. You should be good to go.
Cool, i got all that stuff. Lip is coming in this Thursday so looking forward to trying out all the tips suggested
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-02-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Lol

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #13
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslinger View Post
Stay away from dtm
going back tomorrow for the fourth time to get some paint redone i think im going to be a regular there until their three year paint warranty is up. #mistakeshavebeenmade
Old 04-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
going back tomorrow for the fourth time to get some paint redone i think im going to be a regular there until their three year paint warranty is up. #mistakeshavebeenmade
Let me know how it goes. Shoot me a PM if you to discuss.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote