follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2014, 03:13 AM   #1
rh9

Drives: red brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool 2JZ swapped BRZ ...

Hi guys,

Im new on the forums, just got a blown brz and it was the perfect home for my 2jz-gte making 600whp on pump gas ...

I bought a chase bays wiring harness which we altered alot to make most things work..

After 2 days of wiring and rewiring everything correctly, I cant get everything to work properly ..

Few things like
-gauges.. Iknow this car has gauges running CAN bus, is there a way to bypass that and rewire gauges to the sensor directly ? tach ? H2O ? atleast

-the most important aspect, THE STEERING WHEEL AND RACK, I lost electric steering and ABS ..although speed works so abs sensors are reading, the steering is very heavy and does not work, is there a way to make this working manually ?

Ill post some pix abit later
rh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
rh9

some pix of the build
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Desktop41117_193323.pdf (623.8 KB, 1346 views)
File Type: pdf Desktop41021_191715.pdf (494.6 KB, 745 views)
File Type: pdf Desktop41022_171804.pdf (510.6 KB, 673 views)
File Type: pdf Desktop41027_190019.pdf (442.6 KB, 596 views)
File Type: pdf Desktop41101_184355.pdf (458.7 KB, 861 views)
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Chase Bays

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
This is an email I got from Ekanoo's tuner back in July:

"We utlized the stock ECU to provide all the standard functions. We acquired EcuTek to disable all the DTC faults and alter some of the parameters. The trick is to get the Crank, cam, coolant, and air inlet temp reading of bothe the standard and AEM ECUs. I used AEM series 2 to run the engine. "
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
rh9

The chase bays wiring i got runs both ecus too...i bought it Thinking the car would run like stock or close atleast but its far oem..the steering doesnt work..the gauges dont work except speedo which is useless..i contacted them nurmerous times n i only get a short reply every few days and cant really do anything..might just swap the steering rack to something else
Old 11-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh9 View Post
The chase bays wiring i got runs both ecus too...i bought it Thinking the car would run like stock or close atleast but its far oem..the steering doesnt work..the gauges dont work except speedo which is useless..i contacted them nurmerous times n i only get a short reply every few days and cant really do anything..might just swap the steering rack to something else
Not looking good for me....

Old 11-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
nguyen_er

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Subbed
nguyen_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

I posted in the other thread after I realized your location and actual car(gt86)... So I'll restate it here...

As for the @Chase Bays harness not working 100% plug and play for you, I'm going to go on a limb and say it's VERY possible that the pin out for YOUR gt86 is slightly but notably different than the pin out for the USDM cars in which chase bays bases their harnesses from. However, I'll be able to verify it this upcoming month for you.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
Drift&Drag
TURBOLICIOUS

Drives: a machine :]
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I bought a chase bays wiring harness which we altered alot to make most things work..

After 2 days of wiring and rewiring everything correctly, I cant get everything to work properly ..

Few things like
-gauges.. I know this car has gauges running CAN bus, is there a way to bypass that and rewire gauges to the sensor directly ? tach ? H2O ? at least

-the most important aspect, THE STEERING WHEEL AND RACK, I lost electric steering and ABS .. although speed works so abs sensors are reading, the steering is very heavy and does not work, is there a way to make this working manually ?
Just curious, how many things did you have to alter? Not doubting you rewired anything wrong but did you double check everything? Are you able to pull any error codes from the car?

My backup solution if the electric rack setup fails, I will simply go with either a SC300/400 or S14 steering rack and OEM 2JZ power steering pump. Both parts have adequate space to work on our chassis and the rack may require some minor adjustments. As far as the ABS setup, EKanoo and his team got the factory ABS to work with an aftermarket standalone (AEM) and I am sure we can figure it out together or pull resources to find a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
This is an email I got from Ekanoo's tuner back in July:

"We utilized the stock ECU to provide all the standard functions. We acquired EcuTek to disable all the DTC faults and alter some of the parameters. The trick is to get the crank, cam, coolant, and air inlet temp reading of both the standard and AEM ECUs. I used AEM series 2 to run the engine. "
Even though we are going the route with ProEFI, I am confident it is the same concept and we'll see. I am still a month out before I start on the wiring process. For the interim, I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see how the harness works with your car and Omar's. I know Omar said he is still a few weeks away. When do you plan on getting to your wiring Alex?

Drift&Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #10
slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift&Drag View Post
Just curious, how many things did you have to alter? Not doubting you rewired anything wrong but did you double check everything? Are you able to pull any error codes from the car?

My backup solution if the electric rack setup fails, I will simply go with either a SC300/400 or S14 steering rack and OEM 2JZ power steering pump. Both parts have adequate space to work on our chassis and the rack may require some minor adjustments. As far as the ABS setup, EKanoo and his team got the factory ABS to work with an aftermarket standalone (AEM) and I am sure we can figure it out together or pull resources to find a solution.

Even though we are going the route with ProEFI, I am confident it is the same concept and we'll see. I am still a month out before I start on the wiring process. For the interim, I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see how the harness works with your car and Omar's. I know Omar said he is still a few weeks away. When do you plan on getting to your wiring Alex?

I'm putting things together now, but it's going to be next week - possibly the week after that - before I do wiring. Still waiting for a few things to come in the mail (clutch setup, FullBlown pump setup, etc) but I got my ProEFI, CAN display, and a lot of my AN stuff come in the last few days. I'm anxious to get it started because that's the big push point for me. Just to hear the sound will put me over the top. After my fab guy gets here and starts his part, I might take a few days off work to get this thing going quick. If it isn't snowing before the car is done, I'll be driving it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #11
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
I'm putting things together now, but it's going to be next week - possibly the week after that - before I do wiring. Still waiting for a few things to come in the mail (clutch setup, FullBlown pump setup, etc) but I got my ProEFI, CAN display, and a lot of my AN stuff come in the last few days. I'm anxious to get it started because that's the big push point for me. Just to hear the sound will put me over the top. After my fab guy gets here and starts his part, I might take a few days off work to get this thing going quick. If it isn't snowing before the car is done, I'll be driving it.
Out of curiosity when did you order your FBM 485 pump setup(think you said you were going that route iirc). Curious as I still haven't ordered mine but likely will today or this weekend. Hoping that's not what I get stuck waiting for

Old 11-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
slicktop

I ordered it earlier this month. It should be here today I think. When I ordered it, I ordered it outside their website so I think my order slipped through the cracks, but I contacted them a few days ago and they expedited it to me. No worries... I don't think you'll have any wait time.
The Following User Says Thank You to slicktop For This Useful Post:
OmarGC (11-21-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 02:17 AM   #13
rh9

how much is the Fullblown kit,, ? does the price include everything you need to convert to return fuel system ? and single pump ?
Old 11-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #14
slicktop

Quote:
how much is the Fullblown kit,, ? does the price include everything you need to convert to return fuel system ? and single pump ?
It was $359 for myself. Return style, Walbro 485 pump (E85 compatible).

It's a decent kit, kind of finicky installing it, though.