follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #645
*LongFella

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S|Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks!!!!!

“You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace.” - Frank McCourt
*LongFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #646
puma
crew chief

Drives: Race car FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
@DeliciousTuning are your maps locked? I mean i want to be able to go to the track and log my A/F ratio and do small changes if i need too on the fly, is it possible with your tune?
puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #647
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma View Post
@DeliciousTuning are your maps locked? I mean i want to be able to go to the track and log my A/F ratio and do small changes if i need too on the fly, is it possible with your tune?
We do not offer an open map. Sorry we have put far too much time and development into this tune to open it up. BUT... We are working on a module that connects into our tune and will allow you to make some minor adjustments on your own. So if you are at the track you can tweak it a little bit if you like.

What sort of things are you interested in adjusting? Let me know and I can see how we might add it into our add on module. We could have it connect directly in with our tune through the use of EcuTeK and a couple pins going into the ECU.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:35 AM   #648
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Excuse my ignorance but how can you have a tune that works on any setup?

From what I have gathered over the years is that even stock engines vary from one to another. How can you make a tune that optimizes itself to modified engines no matter what is installed?

Genuinely asking.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #649
puma
crew chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
We do not offer an open map. Sorry we have put far too much time and development into this tune to open it up. BUT... We are working on a module that connects into our tune and will allow you to make some minor adjustments on your own. So if you are at the track you can tweak it a little bit if you like.

What sort of things are you interested in adjusting? Let me know and I can see how we might add it into our add on module. We could have it connect directly in with our tune through the use of EcuTeK and a couple pins going into the ECU.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning

well we usually don't modify much, the only experience i have is with our Hondata where i log all the A/F ratio and adjust accordingly depending on the temperature or condition of the car. We have a generic A/F ratio adjustment in % on which i might play if we are too rich or too lean in the straights. Also logging the timing and Knock and would probably adjust timing a little if Knock was detected for whatever reason.

Also, as previous poster says, every car is different and i can't drive to California to get my car tuned so i would want a tune that,s pretty much perfect and have a local tuner make the A/F ratio and timing perfect for my car.

I don't trust the local tuners to build a map from scratch.

Last thing is we are horsepower restricted in our serie so i need to be able to tune the car to the horsepower i need depending on the weight i make. One thing i hope the ecutek is capable of doing is closing the throttle as we get to the higher rev so i can keep the horsepower down while having a nice area under the curve. But this has to be done on the official dyno of the serie.

I guess having a tune from scratch is my only hope than...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #650
boarder1995

Drives: 2013 Subie BRZ Limited, black, 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tunes can be very vehicle specific if you're looking to pull every last bit of power out of the motor at very specific conditions (temp, humidity, alt., fuel, etc.). That's where a custom tune is really handy or the ability to tweak it is nice, as mentioned above for certain class racing.
However, for a reliable tune, a generic one-size-fits-all approach is very reasonable. It's a conservative tune, that'll work in a variety of conditions, with a variety of motor builds (tolerance differneces, etc.), while not trying to eek out every last bit of potential. The stock motors in all vehicles have generic tunes from the factory - a one-size-fits-all approach.
A lot of reading on this site and many others you'll see many claim a custom tune for your ride and setup is absolutely necessary for the most reliable arrangement - that's not really true, unless you're really pushing the limits. For conservative power, don't buy into the hype of custom local tuners as an absolute must. Many on here have learned the hard way that a single custom tune can be very detrimental to a motor versus a less aggressive tune that's been tested on many vehicles, in many conditions. Just my $.10
boarder1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boarder1995 For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #651
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
well we usually don't modify much, the only experience i have is with our Hondata where i log all the A/F ratio and adjust accordingly depending on the temperature or condition of the car. We have a generic A/F ratio adjustment in % on which i might play if we are too rich or too lean in the straights. Also logging the timing and Knock and would probably adjust timing a little if Knock was detected for whatever reason.

Also, as previous poster says, every car is different and i can't drive to California to get my car tuned so i would want a tune that,s pretty much perfect and have a local tuner make the A/F ratio and timing perfect for my car.

Last thing is we are horsepower restricted in our serie so i need to be able to tune the car to the horsepower i need depending on the weight i make. One thing i hope the ecutek is capable of doing is closing the throttle as we get to the higher rev so i can keep the horsepower down while having a nice area under the curve. But this has to be done on the official dyno of the serie.

If you're able to come to cali, I can refer you to tuners who will not lock their maps.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #652
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post
Tunes can be very vehicle specific if you're looking to pull every last bit of power out of the motor at very specific conditions (temp, humidity, alt., fuel, etc.). That's where a custom tune is really handy or the ability to tweak it is nice, as mentioned above for certain class racing.
However, for a reliable tune, a generic one-size-fits-all approach is very reasonable. It's a conservative tune, that'll work in a variety of conditions, with a variety of motor builds (tolerance differneces, etc.), while not trying to eek out every last bit of potential. The stock motors in all vehicles have generic tunes from the factory - a one-size-fits-all approach.
A lot of reading on this site and many others you'll see many claim a custom tune for your ride and setup is absolutely necessary for the most reliable arrangement - that's not really true, unless you're really pushing the limits. For conservative power, don't buy into the hype of custom local tuners as an absolute must. Many on here have learned the hard way that a single custom tune can be very detrimental to a motor versus a less aggressive tune that's been tested on many vehicles, in many conditions. Just my $.10
Or, you can get the best of both worlds, and go to a tuner who has their own base maps, and can fine tune it to fit your specific car.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #653
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:

Do not really see a problem with any of this through an additional module we are adding into our tunes. With the ability to connect into the ECU through a few pins there is the option of controller trims (+,-) for fueling, timing, and throttle based on RPM and load. Our map would be the base and you could tweak on it from there.

Of course the tune would not be open but the ability to tweak on it would be possible through our additional module into the ECU.

Thanks for the information and questions. Good stuff.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #654
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post
That is basically what we are offering. It is not the end all tune for most power but a respectable tune that will work on any configuration. It is possible but it takes time to develop the tune and you really do need to test it on a lot of setups to prove it.

But with this we have been able to make it happen and even offer the option of FlexFuel on these tunes and custom boost control to about 22 pounds of boost on turbo kits.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Old 08-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #655
puma
crew chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
Do not really see a problem with any of this through an additional module we are adding into our tunes. With the ability to connect into the ECU through a few pins there is the option of controller trims (+,-) for fueling, timing, and throttle based on RPM and load. Our map would be the base and you could tweak on it from there.

Of course the tune would not be open but the ability to tweak on it would be possible through our additional module into the ECU.

Thanks for the information and questions. Good stuff.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
hmm i guess that is an option than, i know nothing about ecutek, what is that additionnal module you are talking about? Is that something physical? how does that work exactly?

This might not be the right thread for that, you always PM me to answer.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #656
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Hi,

Just PM me if you have further questions. I hope to have more about this coming out soon.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #657
BrianBlueBRZ

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How does this kit installed guys? is it a perfect fit or is anyone running int fitment problems and also what kind of wheel horsepower are you expected to get with the complete kit and the factory tune.. Also what kind of power can this motor be put through reliably?? I don't know what these Motors are capable of but it's the same motor in the WRx and if I am correct does that mean we could handle that power also or are there internals different
BrianBlueBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #658
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlueBRZ View Post
How does this kit installed guys? is it a perfect fit or is anyone running int fitment problems and also what kind of wheel horsepower are you expected to get with the complete kit and the factory tune.. Also what kind of power can this motor be put through reliably?? I don't know what these Motors are capable of but it's the same motor in the WRx and if I am correct does that mean we could handle that power also or are there internals different
The FA20DIT is different.

Tags
jackson racing, jrsc, rotrex, supercharger, track