follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #57
steve87j

Drives: Scion FR-S RAVEN
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Part 1 was funny.

Part 2 was just trying too hard, sorry bud.
cool pal, thanks for the input broski
steve87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #58
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
It's still embarrassing to have your doors blown in by a soccer mom. I know people that own this car will defend it's lack of power, but can't we all agree that it would be nice if it put down a little more to the wheels?

As much as I thought I wanted this car, I'm leaning more towards a WRX every day. Same amount of money, AWD, more usable space, and it will set you back in your seat.
The twins aren't everybody's cup of tea. We forgive you.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #59
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve87j View Post
cool pal, thanks for the input broski
Anytime broseph.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #60
steve87j

Drives: Scion FR-S RAVEN
Quote:
Anytime broseph.
I love lamp
steve87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #61
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I liked the review. At the end of the day it's a cheap car. When my wife bought her Maserati issues like this I would have been in the dealership making an ass out of myself until they got fixed. I was upset at first about the issues but for what I paid for it I can't be to upset about it just get it fixed as the problems arise. The fun of the car and so many options to customize it far out weigh the issues in my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #62
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have found there are 2 sides to this argument.

Side a : "This car has flaws, as does every car (don't believe me? watch top gear, even ferari's have downsides), but it achieves exactly what it was set out to do, and is all around a great driving car. I really like this car."

Side b: "MM, yes Reginald, well what do you expect for a measely 25 thousand dollars? This car could never be as good as my, (puffs from pipe) BMW >9000 series. In fact, it hardly qualifies as a car considering it doesn't do 12's base stock on the quarter mile."
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #63
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Actually from my experience, it brings out the worst. People tend to sling the most mud while on a perch of safety from repercussion. With the internet, that perch of safety is the anonymity.
guessed you missed the sarcasm
zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #64
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaptorque View Post
guessed you missed the sarcasm
No, I didn't miss it. Just qualifying what most of us already count as obvious with a serious statement.

I have a bad habit of doing that when most of the time I really should just say,

Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #65
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Something must be wrong with your car... My car doesnt have a funky smell... my dash board doesnt creek or pop... my tail lights DONT condensate... I NEVER HAD A CEL... And I'm at 8200 miles. Thank God!
HunterGreene (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #66
Orthow
Banned

Drives: 99' SIR Kswapped Racer/Showcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
I liked the review. At the end of the day it's a cheap car. When my wife bought her Maserati issues like this I would have been in the dealership making an ass out of myself until they got fixed. I was upset at first about the issues but for what I paid for it I can't be to upset about it just get it fixed as the problems arise. The fun of the car and so many options to customize it far out weigh the issues in my opinion.

Wife drives a Maserati and you got stuck with the "cheap car"? You Sir, are a good man in that case.
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #67
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Most people's problem is that you disrespect the car, like the minivan scene. Among others it's not an unbiased review.
People aren't going to appreciate your delivery. Which won't make you fans.

I like your videos to a degree, you just need to work on delivery. Maybe do a how-to-video for the Nexus setup. get some respect.

IMO
All your points are valid. I only disagree with one thing which was also mentioned, in journalism etc, I don't think there is such a thing as being truly un-biased. It's nearly impossible unless all you are reporting on is a spec sheet. So you try to be as objective as possible.

I have plenty of informative videos too, and have a Nexus 7 video coming next week all about the tablet for cars. Again hard to please everyone you know?

Quote:
Oh boy, I have to explain this again.

Top Gear and other programs, websites and journalists do not go on Porsche owner's fan sites and post what crappy cars they are. Doing such a thing is about as counter-productive as it gets and does nothing for the conversation. People (the public) deliberately watch these shows and read this material searching for that viewpoint from a trusted source. An opinion that is solicited is differently received that an opinion that is presented without asking for it.

Also, a video made by an unhappy FRS owner (whether legitimately unhappy or not) is not unbiased. If you spent less time gawking at his girlfriend you would see this. I don't think even Dezoris would claim he is completely unbiased.

Scott
Scott

The last 4 cars I have owned all different manufacturers, I had direct contact with product planners about issues. Even involved in testing.
The most recent was with Hyundai where things I had been working on with the car have made their way into improvements for the next model year, Hyundai even contacted me directly to discuss it. So I do care and put a lot of time into the ownership experience.

Now in the case of the FR-S videos, I am as unbiased as I can possibly be.
I intentionally left several other problems with car out of the review, like the window seals and the transmission problems in cold weather among other things. Certain auto manufacturers, don't really use their owner base to improve their models. So far we have yet to see Scion/Toyota/Subaru reps on this forum, nor do they have a closed/private website for owners to get involved with development. That's a big negative in the current car culture. Mercedes, Porsche and Hyundai/Kia do, and you have a voice with them too. Not so much here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typedef struct View Post
My first bike was a Ninja 250. The FRS is something of the sports car equivalent of that: super fun and great to learn on, not enough power to get yourself in too much trouble. Except that instead of having to trade up after a couple years like with the 250, you can just drop a turbo in
That's actually a super point. The FR-S is somewhat a feeder sports car when you put it that way, much like the MX5. Except the FR-S is new and the hype has not settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
And what if they gave us 20 more hp to wheels. You'd still have people saying....well it could still use a litttttle bit more to the wheels. Everyone always wants more more more. Thats why stock mustangs with 420 hp have super charge kits that you can still buy--because people JUST WANT MORE.
As everyone has said, if your ego takes a hit when someone gets off a line faster than you, you should look into other cars.
I'm not saying there aren't areas to improve, i'm just saying people should stop talking about how our fish can't climb trees.
I agree with you, the difference in opinion however is the the American car market almost ALL of the cars in the mainstream, including the biggest sellers in every segment have V6 power at near 300HP now.

It's more than ego, it's brand reputation. People see this car and expect a wolf. When you get mowed down in a cafe race to the next light by almost every mainstream car, van and SUV, its reputation as a "sports car" and gets quickly extinguished.

We can argue up and back about why the FR-S is not about power.
My point is, we are not in Japan, nor are we in the 90s anymore.
In America our market requires and demands that sports cars make more than 200HP.

If anyone could tell me how the FR-S or BRZ would be any worse of a car with 240-270HP I would gladly back down.

The truth is that's exactly what the car needs to transform it from compact car to sports car.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #68
SC David
Bloberator

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Its the internet, brings out the best in people
Quote:
Actually from my experience, it brings out the worst.

Quote:
Now I understand why you can't tell the difference between contempt and sarcasm.
You are a black hole.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #69
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
We can argue up and back about why the FR-S is not about power.
My point is, we are not in Japan, nor are we in the 90s anymore.
In America our market requires and demands that sports cars make more than 200HP.

If anyone could tell me how the FR-S or BRZ would be any worse of a car with 240-270HP I would gladly back down.

The truth is that's exactly what the car needs to transform it from compact car to sports car.

I definitely agree with this, but in taking it to that 240-270 hp range you may make it less practical from a fuel efficiency standpoint, and potentially increase insurance premiums as it becomes more sports car like. Now, of course, those who have more money than they know what to do with won't mind that, but those ( like me) who have to budget to own this car, may no longer be able to do so. Ideally, there would be an available model with more power available to those who wish for it.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind was the niche that they were trying to fill with this car. It is meant to serve as a sports inspired driving experience for those who can't quite afford any other car that would provide them with that. By bumping it up to be on equal ground with other pure sports cars, you have to take it out of the reach of those that were originally the target consumers.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #70
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
watch part 1. its worse and that image of him is still in our minds.
I never wanted to do an actual review on the car. Everything has been covered. But when I started having issues it was just a sarcastic bit on where I was at on ownership.

The fact that I received so much backlash, made me wished I would have just covered everything the first time around. So part 2 more accurately reflects reality.

Quote:
Part 1 was funny.

Part 2 was just trying too hard, sorry bud.
Like it or not, it was satisfying to finish and have the car back to answer all the hate and threats of violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Actually, he fully embraces and articulates on where the big anti-FR-S crowd stands. It completely lures them in using empathy. No sugarcoating which is exactly what they want to hear. Then he flips their stance on its head.

He doesn't need fans of the car to be fans of his videos because (as evidenced by all of our comments) we will hard headingly downplay all his criticisms and defend our cars regardless. He just needs us to view his video (a given); dialog between the pro and anti crowds becomes inevitable.
I think you have it pegged. Its a social experiment for me, that's why I do it. When you get into cars designed to create an emotional connection between car and owner, some people go off the deep end. The entire video was basically to say, it's seriously flawed car, but is still so good at the core functions it trancends the problems.

The FR-S is like having a relationship with someone who farts in bed and who picks their nose at the dinner table. The annoyances sometime outweigh the better times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post

Agreed.