follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #463
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
On my way to work this morning, steam started pillowing out of the engine bay. Popped the hood and found coolant EVERYWHERE. One of the coolant hoses to the turbo had completely melted from the heat of the fitting and had started to spray.

Engine temps were still fine, so I topped off the coolant and got it home. Checked the second coolant hose and it completely snapped in my hand in the process. These hoses are definitely not up to the task.

What the inside of the fitting looked like after:

I noticed it was PCV hose, which seemed pretty strange... Stopped by a local shop that specializes in fittings to pick up some new ones and better hose, and they indicated that these definitely were not the right fittings for the hose that was used, however, I am not an expert.

Have a shop hard lining the coolant hoses now...
Same thing happen to me
I remove those fitting and use clamps only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #464
FullBlown

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,026 Times in 548 Posts
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
The fittings over time cuts the gates hose. We now ship them with braided hoses to make sure that doesn't happen
FullBlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #465
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadspool View Post
Reasons like this are why this company is one of the best.

Taking care of your customers after the fact is not the norm these days without a fight.
I wasn't originally intending to say anything, but how are they taking care of me? Are they covering my costs or something? Did they at least warn customers ahead of time? This hose was not designed to be used in the way it is from the beginning. It was simply cutting corners. How about the downpipe not having a gasket resulting in an exhaust leak?

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Literally half the welds on pieces of the kit had leaks, including the oil return (the cheap fitting leaked as well). It's quite scary to have an oil fire on the side of the road without cell reception--ask me how I know. I hope I am the exception and their welder was just hung over that day, but let's not pretend they are some bastion of customer service by offering $12 of replacement hose after being called out. The lost coolant costs more than that.

Last edited by Gen; 11-20-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #466
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Welcome to the joys of a modified vehicle, it will never be trouble free ever again. They could've just said f u like Visconti did as the customers cars burnt on the side of the road, at least he's admitting there's an issue and attempting to correct it. I don't know the particulars of your situation @Gen I can only speak from my experiences. Have you talked directly to him about your issues? Everyone needs to remember this is a new platform and there's bound to be teething problems.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #467
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
I wasn't originally intending to say anything, but how are they taking care of me? Are they covering my costs or something? Did they at least warn customers ahead of time? This hose was not designed to be used in the way it is from the beginning. It was simply cutting corners. How about the downpipe not having a gasket resulting in an exhaust leak?

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Literally half the welds on pieces of the kit had leaks, including the oil return (the cheap fitting leaked as well). It's quite scary to have an oil fire on the side of the road without cell reception--ask me how I know. I hope I am the exception and their welder was just hung over that day, but let's not pretend they are some bastion of customer service by offering $12 of replacement hose after being called out. The lost coolant costs more than that.
Fair enough. @FullBlown has one shop car that probably doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it. They didn't anticipate the hoses failing over time. What if they did run their car to 20,000 miles and that hose never failed? They assume it is fine and start selling kits. As I mentioned, my coolant hoses haven't failed in more miles than your car has. They are protected from the heat of the turbo with the provided sheath, and I made sure that they don't touch the turbo anywhere. I had to cut and assemble my own oil return line as it didn't come preassembled. I also had a small oil leak from not getting the AN fitting tight enough. That was my fault. This isn't a mass produced turbo kit, and even the kits that claim to be mass produced such as the AVO kit still have had their issues. I agree that the kit should come with a downpipe to turbo gasket for the 4 bolt base kits, and I made that recommendation to LJ when I found my kit didn't come with one. He said the machined surfaces should mate just fine, but I purchased a gasket and installed it to be sure. Can we see pics of the welding issues you experienced on your kit?

In the end I think you can question the quality of their kit, but I still think the customer service is top notch. You have identified problems with your kit that many others may not have noticed or not experienced, and I am sure they will do what is required to correct those issues. That is what I consider customer service. It sounds like more than one coolant hose failure has occured now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they proactively contact as many owners as may have the coolant hoses and have them inspect their hoses and ship out hoses to those who want them.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #468
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBlown View Post
The fittings over time cuts the gates hose. We now ship them with braided hoses to make sure that doesn't happen
Can you expand on this? I don't understand how a fitting that shouldn't really be moving much at all is cutting the hose?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #469
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Can you expand on this? I don't understand how a fitting that shouldn't really be moving much at all is cutting the hose?
It's the heat that transfers from the fitting to the hose.

Quite honestly, I DO expect issues to arise and additional maintenance. What I take issue with is everyone raving about the quality and customer service. The running joke with the shops I use around here is "Maybe we should just call FBM". The joke being they don't respond. Maybe my situation is unique, but it has been my experience. I've probably invested five grand at this point on these sort of issues that probably shouldn't have happened in the first place--like bad welds. I don't expect perfection--I understand it's a new platform and shit happens. I understand that costs need to be reduced in order to turn a profit.

The joint here leaked:

Weld around the MAF sensor leaked. Compressor housing leaked (granted, that is the fault of Garrett, but I also never heard back from FBM). It's good you put on a gasket, because I can confirm that also will leak.

I could go on for a while.

Last edited by Gen; 11-20-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #470
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I would say your situation is unique as you're the first person to say they've had issues contacting them. Are you calling, emailing or pm-ing?
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #471
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I would say your situation is unique as you're the first person to say they've had issues contacting them. Are you calling, emailing or pm-ing?
I typically email / PM. The two shops I use call. Honestly, I do not expect or really want anything from FBM. What I expect is after 10 grand my car shouldn't be zip tied together. That's all I really have to say on this.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #472
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have asked lj questions and he has been quick to respond unless its on the weekend and even then he usually gets back to me. Kicker is i dont even have a fbm product on my car anymore and he still helps out.
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frs300 For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (11-20-2013), mack4477 (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #473
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Quite honestly, I DO expect issues to arise and additional maintenance. What I take issue with is everyone raving about the quality and customer service. The running joke with the shops I use around here is "Maybe we should just call FBM". The joke being they don't respond. Maybe my situation is unique, but it has been my experience. I've probably invested five grand at this point on these sort of issues that probably shouldn't have happened in the first place--like bad welds. I don't expect perfection--I understand it's a new platform and shit happens. I understand that costs need to be reduced in order to turn a profit.

I could go on for a while.
I understand that your situation seems to be more of the exception rather then the rule. This is the owner's thread, so your opinion is just as vaild as any other owner's. Feel free to go on more if you want. This thread is here to educate all owners and future owners. I have made public all the issues I have had with my kit including the BOV spring fiasco that cost me multiple weeks time and effort.

All I can speak to is my personal experience which is that everytime I have ever contacted LJ @FullBlown through PM, e-mail, or a call, he has always been there and been willing to do whatever was needed to help me. I appreciate that, and I won't forget that in the future.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #474
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I typically email / PM. The two shops I use call. Honestly, I do not expect or really want anything from FBM. What I expect is after 10 grand my car shouldn't be zip tied together. That's all I really have to say on this.
I think LJ is the one that has the best customer service ever
He answer my emails text really quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FullBlown (11-20-2013), mack4477 (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #475
FullBlown

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,026 Times in 548 Posts
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
We are always here to help. The issue with the car not making power, I was aware of and tried to help you get to the bottom of it. Any other issues that you've encountered, Noone ever contacted us. I answer my emails all the way up till bedtime. I don't think I have missed any of yours?
FullBlown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FullBlown For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #476
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBlown View Post
We are always here to help. The issue with the car not making power, I was aware of and tried to help you get to the bottom of it. Any other issues that you've encountered, Noone ever contacted us. I answer my emails all the way up till bedtime. I don't think I have missed any of yours?
team viewer ftw lol
Dipstik-sportech (11-20-2013), FullBlown (11-20-2013)

Tags
best company ever, big fuck off turbo, blown, bow chicka wow wow, fbm, full, owners, powaaaaaa!, thread, will work for turbo