follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge

Off-Topic Lounge For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Xbox One vs PS4
Xbox One 138 30.13%
PS4 283 61.79%
Undecided 56 12.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #701
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
My point is, for $400 the consoles aren't very impressive at all. I can build a PC with similar specifications for +100-200 which really shows how bad these new consoles are (tech spec wise).
I don't understand how "consoles aren't very impressive" for $400 when you just said it costs $100-200 more to make a PC with the same specs.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
cfusionpm (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #702
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
...Except for the part where it is highly modular and customizable, which is pretty much opposite from a console.
Except that every car ever made is "modular" what makes the FRS different is that out of the box it is tuned specifically to be fun to drive and look good doing it. And does it 10-20k cheaper than many other sports offerings.

Regardless, no one is arguing that consoles are better than PCs, we just don't give a flying crap. Maybe all the PC gamers should make a thread to continue self congratulating each other over and over.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #703
DriftZen

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Location: In deep meditation powersliding around a street corner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
While I do agree that the ps4 looks very good for the price, at the same time I do agree with @Sonolin. If you want something that's a dedicated gaming rig, there's no real point in going with a new console IMO, but if you want all the media functionality, etc. a ps4 sort of makes sense for a household that could make use of it.

Here's a quick rundown I did, that has more than double the power of the ps4 (at the quoted 1.6ghz amd 8 core I've seen):

- 3.5ghz 8-core AMD $150
- Radeon HD 7870 (newer graphics card than what I've seen quoted in ps4) $214

All that's needed would be a motherboard, power, and case, which could all be had for <$250.

So, yes, more expensive, but with double the power, the ability to run SLI, multiple monitors with much higher than 1080p-1280p, it just doesn't make sense to me to buy one of these "new consoles" other than that they are new. I'd rather pay $200 more for something with double the power, and the ability to upgrade and run much higher quality graphics & games. Not to mention legacy game support for those into competitive games like Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament, and Quake 3, or any other classic windows/old console game. All the graphics I've seen on the ps4 game demos, don't even look up to par to some ps3 games I've seen! Graphics wise, the new consoles just seem to really fall below my expectations for a $400 all-in-one console unit.

Back when the ps3 came out, it was better than a lot of gaming computers of the time. This new ps4 was hyped to have more power than any other PC on the market. I was expecting a whole hell of a lot more personally.

Just my opinion, don't mean to derail the thread at all but I do think its fairly on topic as I personally think you get a lot more for your money going with a custom built PC. Again, I do believe the ps4 is a pretty good value at $400, but I would never pay a penny more than that personally.
DriftZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #704
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftZen View Post
Here's a quick rundown I did, that has more than double the power of the ps4 (at the quoted 1.6ghz amd 8 core I've seen):

- 3.5ghz 8-core AMD $150
- Radeon HD 7870 (newer graphics card than what I've seen quoted in ps4) $214

All that's needed would be a motherboard, power, and case, which could all be had for <$250.
$214+$150+$250=$614

That's over 50% more expensive than the PS4.

So let's put this in car terms since we are on a car forum.

Your FRZ cost ~25k, let's add 50% to that, that puts us at 37.5k. Let's see, for $35k you could buy a brand new Mustang GT Premium. It has 420hp, more than double your FRZ, leather, premium sound system, etc. But, was that extra 50% worth it to you to get that significantly better performance? No... and that is okay because you wanted a FRZ.

In other words, some people want to drop $400 on a console that comes ready to go out of the box and where you can sit on your ass on the couch after a long day of work and slouch with a single controller in your hand after sliding a disc into the drive. AND THAT IS OKAY!

Ugh, I am a PC gamer and somehow I am arguing with other PC gamers.
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
cfusionpm (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #705
VADER
Regional Moderator

Drives: VADER 86
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
he said it was EXCLUSIVE to the xbone, ergo more sales... which is completely false as it will be available for pc... sure itll get the xbone some sales... but real hardcore gamers will most likely purchase titanfall on pc as its far superior to the xbone and keyboard/mice >>> controller for fps
Didn't say it was EXLUSIVE to the Xbox One, I said it would not be coming out on PS4. Read Carefully..

Quote:
You said that xbone sales would increase due to titanfall like halo did for the xbox... which is wrong since titanfall will be released for pc meaning theres no reason to buy the xbone for that game

fanboyism is like being blind, I suppose
Not sure why you're obsessed with bringing up PC's. This whole thread is about PS4 and Xbox One. I don't see anyone mentioning PC's except for PS4 buyers and PC owners. I realize Titanfall is coming out for PC, EVERYONE knows this. So I'm talking about consoles and consoles only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Everyone knows that when talking about console exclusives, it means exclusive to that console compared to the other consoles. PC gamers are pretty much never considered as cross shoppers, so they are just omitted from the definition. Its been that way as long as I can remember. PC gamers seem to constantly need to justify their superiority over the peasant class console scum. The best irony is that most of them (myself included) don't give a crap that your $1500 super rig can obliterate my pedestrian console.

In the world of consoles, titanfall is exclusive to xbox one because it does not appear on any other console. There is a version being built for 360, but will not be the same thing.
OMG thank you for explaining this to him. Some people just don't get it and must win a conversation at all costs. Even if it means putting words in peoples mouths and misconstruing what other people say. SMH
VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VADER For This Useful Post:
cfusionpm (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #706
VADER
Regional Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasianman View Post
/sigh

If the Xbox One goes through something similar like the launched Xbox 360s... I might just jump ship after my first Xbox One dies (Not that I would want it to, but if does end up dying, hopefully it will be after I get done beating Halo and playing the crap out of Forza /skeptical). I have been through 4-5 Xbox 360s since launch. Got a PS3 back June 2007 and just recently replaced it a month or two ago due to the YLoD. Only reason I am jumping on the Xbox One is like I said previously... Forza and Halo.
This will not happen. No one should be worried about this happening, they learned what was wrong and fixed it. RROD is a thing of the past.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #707
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER View Post
Just like Halo got Xbox purchases up. Since Titanfall is exclusive to Xbox One instead of PS4, it will get purchases towards the Xbox One.

Didn't know that would need explaining.. Apparently, it did.. haha
I beg to differ
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #708
VADER
Regional Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I beg to differ
READ CAREFULLY... "Since Titanfall is exclusive to Xbox One INSTEAD of PS4". I did not say "Since Titanfall is exclusive to Xbox One."

:happy0180:
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #709
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
$214+$150+$250=$614

That's over 50% more expensive than the PS4.

So let's put this in car terms since we are on a car forum.

Your FRZ cost ~25k, let's add 50% to that, that puts us at 37.5k. Let's see, for $35k you could buy a brand new Mustang GT Premium. It has 420hp, more than double your FRZ, leather, premium sound system, etc. But, was that extra 50% worth it to you to get that significantly better performance? No... and that is okay because you wanted a FRZ.

In other words, some people want to drop $400 on a console that comes ready to go out of the box and where you can sit on your ass on the couch after a long day of work and slouch with a single controller in your hand after sliding a disc into the drive. AND THAT IS OKAY!

Ugh, I am a PC gamer and somehow I am arguing with other PC gamers.
What's even funnier is you're doing it in a thread that has nothing to do with gaming PCs!

Totally agree though. :happy0180:

Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #710
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER View Post
This will not happen. No one should be worried about this happening, they learned what was wrong and fixed it. RROD is a thing of the past.
/skeptical

I will believe it when I see it. Google Xbox 360 Slim Red Dot of Death...

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #711
cfusionpm

Garage
I've got 5 years and thousands of hours on my Jasper chipset old-style box 360. And this is after going through two other 360s, a launch model with RROD, and another with video card overheating (green lines/static image). The one I got now is still going strong. When the second one broke, the Jasper had just been working its way into stores. Had to look for it specifically on the back sticker through the box. Easiest way to spot was power supply: 12.1A vs 14.2A of the old ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_36...t_of_revisions

I should also add that both of my 360s were replaced for free without hassle through Best Buy under warranty.

Last edited by cfusionpm; 06-25-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #712
VADER
Regional Moderator

Garage
I've owned 3 different Xbox's. One personally and 2 of my brothers have one each. None of them ever had any problems..
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #713
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

I got the red ring of death on my 360 after having it for 4 years, paid $50 to have it fixed and it worked fine after.

Now my computer, the HDD went bad less than a year after building it and that costs $130 to replace. Sorry to say, but when you are building a gaming computer for around $800, you are not getting reliable parts.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #714
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
I got the red ring of death on my 360 after having it for 4 years, paid $50 to have it fixed and it worked fine after.

Now my computer, the HDD went bad less than a year after building it and that costs $130 to replace. Sorry to say, but when you are building a gaming computer for around $800, you are not getting reliable parts.
I still have a couple of 10 year old HDD's that cost me 60 bucks back in the day working just fine, I also have a 1TB hdd that's 3 years that only cost me 60 bucks brand spanking new.

Xbox and PS both use HDD, so they can go bad just as easily as any pc
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote