follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #99
V_86

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Neither have I, it's when I go up a 7 mile freeway hill
V_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #100
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@V_86 the reverse is true for me. Silky smooth when warm and when it's freezing out the first 10 minutes are rough

Sent from my OnePlus One
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #101
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
@V_86 the reverse is true for me. Silky smooth when warm and when it's freezing out the first 10 minutes are rough

Sent from my OnePlus One
Same here.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #102
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
After being used to driving old lazy automatics, I love the auto in the BRZ. I don't find that it shifts rough when cold, more so that it's lazy. The torque converter doesn't lock as easily, shifts are slower, etc. Now, when I say cold I mean below freezing.

Normally, torque converter locks once you get into 2nd. From there, I really feel a solid connection to the car and the shifts are quick.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #103
IDFWU 420
Honarary Member

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyoshi82 View Post
I'm getting an auto because I stalled 3 times at the dealer lot trying to test drive one with the manual before I could even get out. I said to myself: "I can't see myself doing this all the time, especially with the commute I have to do Monday-Friday."
Lol wtfck? Were you expecting to learn manual automatically by test driving a manual car out the lot?... When I bought my manual frs, I didn't even know how to drive stick, but my friend offered me to drive it home since he has an frs also. Then the next day, I started learning and didn't stall anymore after about a week. That's just pretty sad how you just gave up after your first manual test drive lol..

Also did not regret buying a manual after driving auto for about 3 years now, I learn something new everyday and it's fun as fck knowing youre in control of when you should shift.
IDFWU 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #104
beatgenie

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
My question is what's the point of getting this car in auto?
If you want an auto car get a more refined sedan. My accord is a CVT because it's more friendly when i go to business meetings and better in traffic.

Also, in the long term, the auto will not be worth as much and will be a tough sell because once these cars get older mostly only car guys will be snatching them up for lower prices.
Maybe because one likes the way the car looks and performs and doesn't care about what kind of transmission they have? Not sure, I could be wrong though.

Not everyone shops for a car with what transmission they prefer. "Oh hey Mr. salesmen, I like automatic transmissions, point me to all of the refined sedans you have."
beatgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #105
breadcrumbz

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Definitely buy the manual. Even when driving in LA traffic, I do not have any regrets or problems. Rowing through the gears and getting smooth shifts in a row is worth it . Plus you have total control of your engine compared to an auto.
breadcrumbz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breadcrumbz For This Useful Post:
NIN69 (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #106
beatgenie

Earlier in the thread someone said that you probably have a feeling which one you kinda want more, and to get that one---I agree with that notion.

I grew up driving automatics, so I purchased an automatic. Was I curious about the manual? Of course. But its just not for me. I like the car for what it is, I'm not trying to be a control freak over when it shifts. I have way too many places to go to and deadlines to meet than to worry about if I'm completely enjoying the feeling of shifting my car.

I've had the car for about 3 months now and I'm already extremely tired of judgmental annoying people asking me if it's a manual and then going off on me when I say it's automatic. Like ummmm, did I ask for your opinion? Did you purchase the car for me? Does what I eat make you shit? No, so stfu. I understand the manual crowd obviously likes the manuals for PERSONAL REASONS, which I completely respect---but I feel the respect should be mutual.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beatgenie For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-26-2014), Tcoat (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 12:24 AM   #107
beatgenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Auto? For me no, I was not shopping for a grocery getter.
I was.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beatgenie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-26-2014), Ultramaroon (12-27-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #108
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_86 View Post
What iag48st said. Although I do find the stock auto has some cooling issues, as it tends to buck when upshifting after running hot, at least for me.
I can't figure out the bucking issue. It does it for me very, very infrequently. On the street only. I tracked it and it never did that after hours and hours in 100℉+ weather.

But I definitely have experienced that, it only goes away if you back off the pedal when upshifting. Weird as hell.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:58 AM   #109
Mini Cooper S

Drives: '16 MX5 rip '14 FRS
Anyone buying the twins with automatic transmission should be slapped right when they're signing the contract.
Mini Cooper S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #110
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Cooper S View Post
Anyone buying the twins with automatic transmission should be slapped right when they're signing the contract.
Jump off the tallest building you can find. Matter of personal opinion.

@fatalelement it does the bucking for me every once in a while as well. Only when using the paddle shift though. I've noticed it between 50 and 75% throttle while pulling the paddles. If I'm not on the gas and shift, it doesn't do it. Has also done it in and out of sport mode. Very odd.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #111
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
What is your opinion of getting an auto frs?

It seems the MT vs AT debate will never die as long as there is an option to get either. I was ready to buy the AT because I thought I was getting too lazy to shift myself, but I got peer pressured to get the MT and I do not regret it whatsoever. I rationalized it by $1000 (went towards my first set of wheels) and 44 lbs in savings. I love driving a MT again (my first 2 cars were MT), especially since it is a really good gearbox. I work in an office environment and driving to and from work is the little bit of excitement that I have in a typical day (even if I come across stop and go traffic). Once you get used to driving a MT in traffic it really isn't all that bad.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:14 AM   #112
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatgenie View Post
Earlier in the thread someone said that you probably have a feeling which one you kinda want more, and to get that one---I agree with that notion.

I grew up driving automatics, so I purchased an automatic. Was I curious about the manual? Of course. But its just not for me. I like the car for what it is, I'm not trying to be a control freak over when it shifts. I have way too many places to go to and deadlines to meet than to worry about if I'm completely enjoying the feeling of shifting my car.

I've had the car for about 3 months now and I'm already extremely tired of judgmental annoying people asking me if it's a manual and then going off on me when I say it's automatic. Like ummmm, did I ask for your opinion? Did you purchase the car for me? Does what I eat make you shit? No, so stfu. I understand the manual crowd obviously likes the manuals for PERSONAL REASONS, which I completely respect---but I feel the respect should be mutual.

Should have gotten a manual, bro. Jk