follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Hawaii

Hawaii Aloha!

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Moving to Oahu

So I recently found out that work is moving me to Oahu late spring of next year. They're moving all my stuff, even shipping my FRS! I guess my question becomes then, what's it like, living in Hawaii? I know everything is more expensive than I'm used to, but what about everything else? (Tourists, traffic, weather, silly/different laws and or customs).

Also, since I've never been, does anyone have suggestions for good neighborhoods to live in? I'm looking at renting a small house, (<$1800/month) preferably with at least a 3 sided car port if not a full garage, within 20-30minutes of Hickam AFB.

I'm pretty excited to be going somewhere new, I've been getting tired of the desert.

Sent from...somewhere?
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLeader For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (01-04-2014)
Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
REAV3R
Former Boost Junkie

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm moving there in January. I'll be in the Schofield Barracks area (a bit farther inland than you). Once I'm settled in, I'll offer up any tips/advice I think you'd benefit from. I'll be in government quarters (I'm military) so I can't say anything about what neighborhoods are good or not. I'll be bringing my FRS (at my own expense... $1900 shipping!) so looks like Oahu is getting two more!
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." ~ J.Clarkson
REAV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REAV3R For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (01-04-2014)
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just from a car perspective, here are the average gas prices by state:

http://www.arizonagasprices.com/Prices_Nationally.aspx

Currently there is an $0.80/gal ($3.11 and $3.92) difference between AZ and HI. You can expect it to be above $4/gal normally, and thats just for regular.

Congrats on the relocation, despite the prices, you are going to love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Hayashi

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Where are you guys moving from? First thing, don't expect to get anything very big for $1,800 a month haha. In that area you might be better off with a condo. Try looking in the Salt Lake, Moanaloa area. You can also go towards Aiea or Pearl City.

Traffic is pretty horrible here during rush hours. You can check out the traffic cams here:

http://www1.honolulu.gov/cameras/traffic.htm
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
REAV3R
Former Boost Junkie

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
I'm coming from the People's Republic of Illinois. I can't get away from this COLD (and this state) fast enough! I've been stationed here for five years and am looking forward to a change of scenery. Corn fields just don't do anything for me... LOL
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." ~ J.Clarkson
REAV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
RedLeader

Garage
I'm coming from Southern Arizona.

Sent from...somewhere?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
brz_star21

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayashi View Post
Where are you guys moving from? First thing, don't expect to get anything very big for $1,800 a month haha. In that area you might be better off with a condo. Try looking in the Salt Lake, Moanaloa area. You can also go towards Aiea or Pearl City.

Traffic is pretty horrible here during rush hours. You can check out the traffic cams here:

http://www1.honolulu.gov/cameras/traffic.htm
Ditto. Salt Lake would be ideal but you won't be getting anything huge, more than likely it'll be a condo in that area. Other neighborhoods would be just like Hayashi said above that'll be really quick to work.

PROS:
Food is diverse (some mainlanders complain there's no great authentic Mexican/Italian restaurants if you're used to that kind of cuisine), people/culture is diverse, all kinds of activities to do especially water sports, the weather for the most part is great all year round, different neighbor islands to visit, etc.

CONS:
Traffic sucks, gas is expensive (it's been dipping under the $4 mark for Regular, though ), roads are crapped up, no formal race track but there is auto x held on occasion at the stadium, everything is usually a little more expensive (including shipping stuff from the mainland), don't know how old you are or if you're into the bar/club scene, but it's obviously not as big and easy to go to different hot spots like the mainland where you can just make a long road trip somewhere.

There will be tons of things you'll learn about Hawaii in due time, such as Hawaiian words/names since many of the street/housing names are in Hawaiian but just take it all in and enjoy it. Overall, it's a great place to live.
brz_star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brz_star21 For This Useful Post:
REAV3R (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
RedLeader

Garage
I was looking towards the Mililani area, little further away from the base but didn't look too far to be inconvenient.

Sent from...somewhere?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Hayashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
I was looking towards the Mililani area, little further away from the base but didn't look too far to be inconvenient.

Sent from...somewhere?
What time are you gonna be starting work? Best thing to do is figure out the times you will be going to work and home and watch those traffic cams. The H1 / H2 merge is crazy ridiculous on traffic.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
FRSHunter

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Welcome to the land of no free shipping on anything including car parts!
FRSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FRSHunter For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (01-04-2014), jbsali (05-11-2014), Shipwreck (12-12-2013), supragoods (12-12-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
RedLeader

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayashi View Post
What time are you gonna be starting work? Best thing to do is figure out the times you will be going to work and home and watch those traffic cams. The H1 / H2 merge is crazy ridiculous on traffic.
I won't really know until I get there, honestly. I know I'll be working 12s, so I'm sure I'll catch shitty traffic on one end of my shift. I'm not above shitty traffic, as long as I know ahead of time and leave earlier, I'm not allergic to traffic. More important to me is being away from an urban center if possible (not downtown) and in a relatively quiet neighborhood.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Shipwreck
Fanboy

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
there is a good mexican joint here just got to know where to look hawaii isn't that bad only cons I can say is the traffic is horrible and the roads sucks oh and some locals may not like you but I've been living here for 3 years now and Ive never had a problem
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Yup, traffic sux. Yup, lots of krappy roads, they're finally fixing some of it. Millilani is a pretty nice area, youll have to deal with traffic. There are some decent drives, not a whole lot of distance though, 140 miles and you can go all the way around the island.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Hayashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
I won't really know until I get there, honestly. I know I'll be working 12s, so I'm sure I'll catch shitty traffic on one end of my shift. I'm not above shitty traffic, as long as I know ahead of time and leave earlier, I'm not allergic to traffic. More important to me is being away from an urban center if possible (not downtown) and in a relatively quiet neighborhood.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Millilani has really bad roads...haha I hate driving through there and trying to avoid all the pot holes and patches. Its a nice area though.

Just to give you an idea of the traffic. I had to drive to Waipio yesterday at around 3:30 which is about 14 miles from where I work. I didn't get there till 5. Granted I think there was an accident earlier and it freed up once I hit H2. On the way back they were doing traffic so it took me another hour or so to get back into town.