follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
DSG Edition FA500's

Hello everyone I want to keep this as quick and straight forward as possible so if you got any specific questions please PM me or @Jason@DSG I am also not going to do the whole back story bit lol.

So I ordered these back in mid-November got them early january. They are packaged nicely and sat in my room for the winter. A little over a week ago I finally got these on my car and WOW they completely changed the car. (to be fair I also did some chassis bracing at the same time but I did leave the alignment within stock range and stock height as I am on winter tires still.) As soon as I drove the car out of the shop I could feel how amazing it now felt. They are much stiffer, but I wouldn't call it stiff, more or less "Firm" would be the best word. I was amazed how quick they react to the road. I started with rebound on 5 and it was nice around time and better then stock on the highway as far as comfort goes (IMO) but I found going over train tracks it was a bit harsh until I stepped the rebound up to 12 clicks from soft, at 12 clicks the springs are incredibly well mannered and controlled. As far as performance goes they greatly improved the cornering ability with my winter rubber to the point I was shocked and didn't think was possible. They really nailed it with these coilovers. The comfort is much better then I expected and the performance so far has been exactly what I was looking for. The nice thing about fortune auto is you can call them and actually talk to real people who know what they are talking about. They can also be revalved and rebuilt in the USA so that was a big plus for me. There is also the option to upgrade to the 510 or even dreadnought series if you wanted to. Then there is @Jason@DSG who is an all around awesome guy who was there to help me whenever I needed it. (anyone in Canada they can do a no duty or import fee shipping option )

TL;DR

Comfort 8/10 (for an average person they are 10/10 for what I was looking for)
Performance 10/10 (so far still on winter rubber)
Quality 9/10
Support & communication 10/10
Value 9/10

Here is what it looks like new:
Name:  coilover.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  345.1 KB

installed on the front (stock height)
Name:  front.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  259.3 KB

installed on the rear (stock height)
Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  262.2 KB

Here is how I adjust them at the rear. I did modify the rear adjuster extenders to achieve this but it only took all of 2 minutes to do both sides.
Name:  rear adjust.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  387.8 KB

Update:

Hey guys, just a quick update. Got my summer wheels on about a week ago and it feels superb. I am on 17x8 (only weigh 18 pounds) rims with 225/45R/17 Nitto NT01's. I almost want to say they feel better with the summers then the winters but that is likely due to the lighter wheels or placebo effect haha!!

Living with these coils is easy, I forget I have them for most of the drive on my way to work (mainly 100+ km/h highway) They are stiffer for sure in parking lots and speed bumps but I got used to it real quick and still love the feel the car has

Performance:
With the tires I am running the amount of grip is absolutely ridiculous! I need to take my car to the skid pad to find out how many G's it can pull because I have taken a few empty exit ramps hard enough to slightly upset stomach from the lateral G's hahaha!! Now that being said these are 100 tread wear tires so most of the grip is from them, but the OEM suspension would have been so easily overloaded and these coils seem almost perfect for the tires. A slightly higher spring rate might be a better choice for these tires if it was a track car, but I use mine as a DD .

Now the bad: There is not nearly enough camber adjustment with just the top hats on these I had to buy camber bolts to get -2, with the bolts they maxed out at -3 (I did the alignment myself with the help of a tech cuz I work a dealership so I got to play around with it) I also have a slight noise coming from the back 2. They have done it since day 1 and sounds the same on both side. You only hear it on low speed bumps at like 10km/h and it sounds like a normal noise to me. I think it has to do with having solid tophats.

Overall I am 100% satisfied with them and would recommend them to anyone looking for a mid range coilover.

Last edited by go_a_way1; 04-13-2016 at 05:04 PM.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Jason@DSG (03-23-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting take on these! I was actually looking into getting these after considering that the Ohlins were way too expensive.

I'm interested to see your monthly reviews since that's what counts. Do you use your car as a daily driver, track, or etc?
go_a_way1 (03-22-2016), Jason@DSG (03-23-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 03:51 AM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Here is how I adjust them at the rear. I did modify the rear adjuster extenders to achieve this but it only took all of 2 minutes to do both sides.
Attachment 133768
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=bent

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1UP View Post
Interesting take on these! I was actually looking into getting these after considering that the Ohlins were way too expensive.

I'm interested to see your monthly reviews since that's what counts. Do you use your car as a daily driver, track, or etc?
Yeah I will have to report back after I do some more miles and get my summer wheels on so I can really test them out. Car is a DD with a mix of city and Highway. I spend about 30 minutes each way commuting. In the summer I do plan on heading to castrol speedway for a real track test of these as I haven't seen one yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Hahaha yeah I was worried about that at first but the adjusters I have flex so I thought it would be alright, then I realized that I dont use my trunk lol!!!
x1UP (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Great. I'm thinking about possibly getting a used set of Ohlins (15K Milesfor around $2500, but if these are better, then I might just go for these in preparation for supercharger this year.
go_a_way1 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Great. I'm thinking about possibly getting a used set of Ohlins (15K Milesfor around $2500, but if these are better, then I might just go for these in preparation for supercharger this year.
These are certainly not better than the Ohlins. These are entry level coils with a few upgrades on them.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
GeorgeJFrick (03-22-2016), go_a_way1 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
These are certainly not better than the Ohlins. These are entry level coils with a few upgrades on them.
I have never rode on ohlins but I would suspect this to be true haha! I would certainly hope ohlins are better at twice the price hahaha!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Make sure they are the first gen ohlins. The new ones they sell are too soft now
Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
just curious, what would've allowed the quality rating to be a 10/10 instead? (putting the end cost/price aside)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
With that said, what scale are we using to measure the Fortune's? How do the 8,9,10/10s translate to a set of Ohlins?

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LOLS2K For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #11
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
With that said, what scale are we using to measure the Fortune's? How do the 8,9,10/10s translate to a set of Ohlins?
Different scales bruv. One is set in terms of cheap, entry level coils and the other is set in terms of more expensive, more advanced, better coils.

Plus, I'm sure if Ohlins developed an air cup system, they wouldn't leave the R&D to some schmuck from this here forum.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
just curious, what would've allowed the quality rating to be a 10/10 instead? (putting the end cost/price aside)
To get a 10/10 they need to have that WOW factor like a polished shock body or something over the top like that. Quality is based on the feel of them in my hand not the performance of them
8R6 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #13
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
My scale is on 1-10 for an entry level coilover and for what they are I am absolutely blown away with them at the price point. I would buy these again in a heart beat.

Quote:
Different scales bruv. One is set in terms of cheap, entry level coils and the other is set in terms of more expensive, more advanced, better coils.

Plus, I'm sure if Ohlins developed an air cup system, they wouldn't leave the R&D to some schmuck from this here forum.
Like cole said, different scales but I have never been on ohlins or JRZ ect so I cant compare them. I have rode on many other cheap coilovers in other peoples cars though.

and yeah.... Fortune Auto really dropped that ball on the air cup thing.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #14
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I bought these at the same time, but installed them earlier (January). I'm still not posting a review (not until after RA and at least one autox event); but if I had to review now, my experience does not match. If I had to do it over again I'd have spent more to get something better; but then again, I'm not ready to review these yet.

I just don't think they can be rated on quality after 90 days.
Comfort is a 6/10 at best.
Performance is actually good however; and I'd give the same score to DSG/FA for communication and support.
Value can't be stated until quality can be stated.

just my 2 cents; look for my review around the six month mark.

EDIT: To be clear, I have these for different reasons than go_a_way1 and my experience will vary greatly in that regard.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgeJFrick For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-22-2016), go_a_way1 (03-22-2016)