follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Passenger Seat Belt Warning Chime goes on even though there's no passenger.

I was cruising down beautiful West L.A. this afternoon, and a pleasant drive at that minus a guy in a late model M3 who was tailgating me on the 10E, and then add another douchebag in a late model Jag who almost rear ended me because when I gave him "the stare" as he passed me on my right he seemed to be showing off to his female friend to look cool I guess.

Why God? why are there so many douchebags driving? I guess having a brand new car with dealer advertisement plates still on has something to do with it pffft!!!

Anyways, having said that....while I was in the middle of my pleasant FR-S cruise I noticed that my Passenger NO SEAT BELT FASTENED Chime randomly went off, and I was like wtf?

So in order for me stop the annoying chime, I reached for the Passenger Seat Belt and just fastened it. Chiming Stopped. It's the first time it has ever happened.

Question: Other than taking it back to the dealer to have 'em check it.....What else should I do?
"...the expression of the love in my eyes for my new RS 1.0 is the exact parallel opposite of bitterness, and hate of all the other FR-S owners that want one but won't admit that they do. " ~idreamofdrifting~
"...the main reason people swap (from Scion to Toyota badges) IMO, is because they're embarrassed at the Scion stigma they themselves are perpetuating..." ~Sho220~

idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Was there anything on the seat? Mine does that occasionally if I have something in the seat.
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
Was there anything on the seat? Mine does that occasionally if I have something in the seat.
Damm you da BOSS!!!
Had my wallet, garage door remote, keys, and some other crap.

Thank you!!!
"...the expression of the love in my eyes for my new RS 1.0 is the exact parallel opposite of bitterness, and hate of all the other FR-S owners that want one but won't admit that they do. " ~idreamofdrifting~
"...the main reason people swap (from Scion to Toyota badges) IMO, is because they're embarrassed at the Scion stigma they themselves are perpetuating..." ~Sho220~

idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
SocalBurt

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreamofdrifting View Post
I was cruising down beautiful West L.A. this afternoon, and a pleasant drive at that minus a guy in a late model M3 who was tailgating me on the 10E, and then add another douchebag in a late model Jag who almost rear ended me because when I gave him "the stare" as he passed me on my right he seemed to be showing off to his female friend to look cool I guess.

Why God? why are there so many douchebags driving? I guess having a brand new car with dealer advertisement plates still on has something to do with it pffft!!!

Anyways, having said that....while I was in the middle of my pleasant FR-S cruise I noticed that my Passenger NO SEAT BELT FASTENED Chime randomly went off, and I was like wtf?

So in order for me stop the annoying chime, I reached for the Passenger Seat Belt and just fastened it. Chiming Stopped. It's the first time it has ever happened.

Question: Other than taking it back to the dealer to have 'em check it.....What else should I do?
Yup Same thing happened to me. No passenger yet the chime was going off. I lifted my cellphone from the seat and bam...no more chime or seatbelt light. The seat is really sensitive seems like. And to add to your douchbag encounters, same here. Had a corvette tailgate me for a good 3miles. What an ass. The other three lanes were clear as day.
SocalBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBurt View Post
Yup Same thing happened to me. No passenger yet the chime was going off. I lifted my cellphone from the seat and bam...no more chime or seatbelt light. The seat is really sensitive seems like. And to add to your douchbag encounters, same here. Had a corvette tailgate me for a good 3miles. What an ass. The other three lanes were clear as day.
so when someone follows you on a particular lane you say they're an ass?
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
SocalBurt

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
so when someone follows you on a particular lane you say they're an ass?
When there are no other cars on the road and that person is inches from my bumper yes they're an ass. I was looking for an address and he could have passed me but decided to ride me till i turned then he turned in the opposite direction. It was pointless.
SocalBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The weight threshold is way too low. I think it's 1.5 kg or something. I don't know why they didn't make it something reasonable like 20kg.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
The weight threshold is way too low. I think it's 1.5 kg or something. I don't know why they didn't make it something reasonable like 20kg.
i always thought those seats will activate the chime when the object is 40lbs or more. at least that's what it said in my Nissan Altima Coupe manual. I haven't gone in detail about the brz manual yet.
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
i always thought those seats will activate the chime when the object is 40lbs or more. at least that's what it said in my Nissan Altima Coupe manual. I haven't gone in detail about the brz manual yet.
In my limited experience on these things, I believe it changes from model to model. My old Lexus seemed to have a much higher threshold. Never beeped at me for anything either. That was one of it's best (and only good) features
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
AFAIK it's not related to weight per-se. Some people months ago suggested that it had to do with the frequency of your phone and that tripping it off when it's in the passenger seat.

For those times when it's a non-electronic item, you can make the seatbelt chime go nuts by placing the item towards the back of the seat (against the seat back). I believe it's something to do with this car having a more modern airbag system that factors for the passengers seating position. Anyone else recall something like this?

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
You typed it before I could. It is sensitive to electronics. Put you iPhone on the seat and it will go off. Put a half gallon of milk and it will not.

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Ya, its not weight related so much as breaking the em field of the sensors....like electronic, metallic, or conductive devices such as cables will do.

You can put a whole case of water there and not set it off, but a cell phone charger cable, cell phone, RFID badge, and other such non sense will set it off.

Think about it like traffic loops in the road....the light knows to change because the em field that the loop creates is interrupted by vehicles.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscylo View Post
Think about it like traffic loops in the road....the light knows to change because the em field that the loop creates is interrupted by vehicles.
This explains why my Uncle Jed
With the metal plate in his head
Always gets stuck on red!

I'll be here all weekend. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
husker741 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
This explains why my Uncle Jed
With the metal plate in his head
Always gets stuck on red!

I'll be here all weekend. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.
Uncle Jed must have a head the size a smart car.

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote