follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
xRavenFRSx

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Borla Axle-Back Vibration

Okay so I had the dealer install the Borla Axle-Back system. Sounds and looks great. Starting a couple of days ago when I first start up in the morning, the tips have been vibrating... somewhat loudly. I took a look around. Nothing is touching, everything is installed fine. Tips are on solid. This morning I decided to put my hand over one of the tips, leaving room on both sides of my hand for air to come out, and the sound got louder. Same for the other side.

Any suggestions? Weather conditions weren't anything unusual the car hasn't been in, maybe a little more humid the last few days than normal.
xRavenFRSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
xRavenFRSx

Took a quick video if anyone has ideas. Looked under the car. Couldn't figure out what it would be. Tried holding the bumper still and it's not that.

[ame]http://youtu.be/5gvHyJC8cq8[/ame]
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've got the same exhaust and have not heard the vibrations you are having. Is it both tips vibrating or only one? If it is both tips it would lead me to believe that the vibration is coming from farther back on the axleback and the sound is just transferring to the tips.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
xRavenFRSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseZen View Post
I've got the same exhaust and have not heard the vibrations you are having. Is it both tips vibrating or only one? If it is both tips it would lead me to believe that the vibration is coming from farther back on the axleback and the sound is just transferring to the tips.

Looked at it with a couple of guys while it was on the lift yesterday. One of them made a good point that makes sense to me. As its been happening a bit more frequently I found that the difference is high humidity. That seems to be the only time I hear it. Because its not true dual and the left tip is the main outlet, not nearly as much exhaust is going out the right. What im hearing is that small amount of air fluttering as its coming out of the pipe and into the tip with the dense humid air. And it stops when the car is warmed up and more exhaust is coming out.

If that makes sense

We couldn't find anything loose or vibrating.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
TopGearSolutions

Drives: C6 Corvette Z06
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRavenFRSx View Post
Looked at it with a couple of guys while it was on the lift yesterday. One of them made a good point that makes sense to me. As its been happening a bit more frequently I found that the difference is high humidity. That seems to be the only time I hear it. Because its not true dual and the left tip is the main outlet, not nearly as much exhaust is going out the right. What im hearing is that small amount of air fluttering as its coming out of the pipe and into the tip with the dense humid air. And it stops when the car is warmed up and more exhaust is coming out.

If that makes sense

We couldn't find anything loose or vibrating.
It makes sense that it wouldn't be as bad once warmed up.

Have you driven the car in the rain yet? I'm curious if it gets worse?
TopGearSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
xRavenFRSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGearSolutions View Post
It makes sense that it wouldn't be as bad once warmed up.

Have you driven the car in the rain yet? I'm curious if it gets worse?
Yeah I have, it doesn't do it. Its only on startup for maybe 20-30 seconds in the humid air. Even in dense fog it hasn't done it while driving.

One thing I could try to test it is on a day it does it, put my hand over the left tip for a few seconds so more air is pushed out to the right and see if it stops.

Im hoping that's the cause because its not a daily thing and by the time the weather is like this again next year I'll have a better flowing cat and aftermarket pipes on. The extra airflow should stop it.

Tags
borla, vibration