follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
He bash 370Z just because one word FRS :)

lol

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/nissan-3...210052057.html

Nissan 370Z Review: A Pretty Face, Lacking Pace

By Jeff Perez | Boldride

If you’re looking for a sporty, fun Nissan- try to save for a GT-R
When you take a look at the Nissan 370Z, what does it make you think? It’s sporty, it’s pretty nimble, and– hell– we’ll even give it a check mark for ‘dapper good looks’ (put that in your commercial, Nissan). But when these three things, and a few other elements all come together, it sort of meets in the middle in one awkward feeling, overpriced, orange nugget. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s start from the beginning.

The Nissan 370Z, is a car. And if we want to get even more technical, it’s a sportscar. A Japanese one at that. It has a powerful engine, two seats and a six-speed manual gearbox. Check, check, check. So, where did Nissan go wrong? I have no idea.
Two Seats are Better than None

Like I said, I love the way the Z car looks. It’s sharp, it’s got a long hood and a short back. And it’s only got two seats, thank the sweet heavens above. In a world filled with four-seat sportscars- ugh- it’s nice to see something a little less practical and bit more passion.
Technology and quality are on point. Electric seats, Bluetooth, navigation, leather, other things; it’s all put together nicely with no carbon fiber to be seen. But then again, at nearly $40K, that kit all better be there. Because $40K expensive for a car made for only two occupants.
It Ain’t Your Daddy’s Z

As with the original Z car that was introduced by Datsun back before I was born, it was a call to all enthusiasts looking for something sporty and fun and attractive. But the 370- while it may have the attractive thing going for it, just doesn’t have the braun to live up to the legend.
I’ll make myself clear- yes, a 3.7L 332-hp V6 is a damn powerful engine in a light-ish sportscar, and at speed, it cooks. Problem is, the American-ized Nissan thinks that us fuel-gargling Americans want power over weight distribution. That is not so. As the Scion FR-S was damn near perfect in every corner, the Z lags and lugs around ‘a ton’ of weight up front. Note to Nissan: “Simplify, then add lightness.”
Overall: 77%

In total, it looked good- massive sharp wheels paired to a fat-bottomed long-waisted orange coupe. But more often than not it felt like drivable novocaine. Numb, unresponsive, heavy- fast, in a sense, but really just more of a pretty thing to look at.
THE BASICS
Make: Nissan
Model: 370Z
Engine: 3.7L V6
HP: 332
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Rejor11

Drives: Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know the 370Z has oil temp issues and fuel issues on the track. I rode in one last year and the car ended up vapor locking and needed to be towed back to the pits.

Still, it's a nice enough car, but after being in the FRS, I can't say I like anything about it, minus the amount of power it brings to the table.
Rejor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They're a little too harsh on the 370Z. It actually handles pretty well, despite their claims of it feeling too heavy... which is interesting, because it's actually shorter and lighter than the outgoing 350Z it replaced, if I remember correctly. Maybe they shouldn't use the FR-S/BRZ as their yardstick.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dunno why the article is so harsh on the 370Z. The guy is so inept to articulate his thoughts on to paper, it's laughable as journalism at best.
Quote:
So, where did Nissan go wrong? I have no idea.
What he said here completely invalidates any credibility he has critiquing the car. He goes on to say it's nimble, looks good, is sporty AND it has power and all that mixed together is awkward and overpriced? Uh... is that like saying a girl has great curves, well-endowed, looks pretty, is well-mannered and successful, put that together and she's awkward? The article writer is lacking quite a bit in the critical-thinking department.

Quote:
The Nissan 370Z, is a car.
Not sure if I agree with this.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
clayrush (06-13-2013), flippy (06-14-2013), Guff (06-09-2013), infinite012 (06-06-2013), LSxJunkie (06-12-2013), Snoopyalien24 (06-08-2013), unijabnx2000 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Horrible article. This is a far better review of a twin vs 370Z vs Porsche Cayman:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14699

Chris Harris does a much better job
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
His advice isn't wrong though, if they went through with a 240z reincarnation in the same spirit as the 240sx I don't think many of us would be here right now.

They don't even have to dump a bunch of money into the engine like Toyobaru had to do, a more aggressive version of their 2.5L 4-banger could probably pump out over 180 hp, more than enough to be competitive, hell they could even use their diesel version for some serious laughs (260 ft-lbs in the Frontier at 2k rpm) which really just leaves chassis design and stealing their bits from the other econoboxes they sell.

Hell, bring Renault back to the US with the car just like the Toyobaru pairing, the french version could have more "refinement" and "features" added to it like the Subaru does here. I think they missed a golden opportunity to sell me another Nissan.

Leave enough space in the engine bay for a GTR swap and nobody would even be talking about the Toyobaru. But once again, a day late and a dollar short.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
They're a little too harsh on the 370Z. It actually handles pretty well, despite their claims of it feeling too heavy... which is interesting, because it's actually shorter and lighter than the outgoing 350Z it replaced, if I remember correctly. Maybe they shouldn't use the FR-S/BRZ as their yardstick.
Its lighter than optioned 350z but a basic 350z is lighter than the 370z by a bit not much.

I think they are a bit harash but I do agree that the Z is starting to feel more like a big fat american car than the Fairylady she use to be.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
DeeezNuuuts83

^ But even then, the American cars aren't so bad. The current Mustang actually handles nicely, and not just for a Ponycar. The Challenger, on the other hand...
Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Thats funny because the 370Z was my second choice. I didnt know the price at the time but when I saw that sticker I didnt even bother test driving.
CAMBAM_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
DeeezNuuuts83

Yeah, it's not cheap, and what it offers isn't exactly rare anymore. For the money, if I wanted RWD and a lot of power, I'd rather just get a Mustang GT.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Did anyone really expect accuracy from a Yahoo employee? Their company motto is lackluster bullshitting. They post the dumbest articles known to man. One third it's some crappy political article, other times its articles designed to increase racial tensions then finally the final third are plain bullshit articles that don't do anything except take up space. I got so sick of those douchebags that I deleted any account that I had there.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
^ But even then, the American cars aren't so bad. The current Mustang actually handles nicely, and not just for a Ponycar. The Challenger, on the other hand...
American cars in general are shit, except for the Mustang that car still has it's magic even if it has the gold beer colored drooping slime of redneck all over it.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzetto View Post
American cars in general are shit, except for the Mustang that car still has it's magic even if it has the gold beer colored drooping slime of redneck all over it.
The Mustang has not always been good though..

For the life of me, I want to really love the current generation Mustang and just can't. I have just owned too many European and Japanese sports cars.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I complete agree with this statement as well. The Americans have come a long way in terms of handling. Ford is by far the one that impresses me most outta the big three as well.

Challenger and the SS I didn't like how the felt driving. I actually think the V6 feels better in the Camaro than the V8 other than power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
The Mustang has not always been good though..

For the life of me, I want to really love the current generation Mustang and just can't. I have just owned too many European and Japanese sports cars.
I can't imange myself owning an American car but it would be a Mustang if I had to choose espeically since there are rumours of their 2.0 ecoboost going into their Mustang.

If you can drive a Boss302. Those things handle very very well and feel like a very very complete car IMO. Very impressive for a live axel.