follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2021, 04:41 AM   #15
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Less the front bumper, that I wasn’t able to remove all dirt (need a stronger remover, any recommendations?)
Have you tried the following decontamination steps? From my post in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
I've been using Meguiar's products over the years. However, there's recently been a huge step up from other brands especially from Turtle Wax's Hybrid Solutions line which are very easy to use.

Here's what I've done on mine & what they do:
Step 1. Adam's Strip Wash -for removing old waxes, sealants
Step 2. Fireball Ultimate Iron Burn - for removing iron deposits on paint
Step 3. Wash & clay to remove embedded surface contaminants
Step 4. Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Compound - for removing swirls & scratches
Step 5. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish - for removing marring from the compound, reconditioning the finish, & removing finer scratches
Step 6. IPA wipe down to remove polishing oils so that wax/sealants can stick better
Step 3. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating (2 coats)- gives that candy wrapper-like gloss & creates a slick surface that repels water fast
Step 4. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Flex Wax (2 coats) - deeper gloss, creates a very slick surface that repels water easily. It takes so much longer time for dirt to build up because of the slickness (vs using Meguiars Ultimate Wax)

Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS front pipe, Ecutek Tune by Delicious T., DSS aluminum driveshaft, Beatrush underpanel, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6 shocks, RCE Yellows, Michelin PS 4S on 18" Enkei PF01
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (07-26-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #16
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Out of TW Ice Seal N Shine so going to give this a try. Cheapest I found it is directly ordering from TW, $20.99 + tax, free shipping. https://www.turtlewax.com/products/h...x-wax-23-fl-oz
Edit 8/4: They raised the price by $5.

Got it by UPS yesterday for $20.99. Washed the car with this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wa...-1-Gallon/3974 Purchased ~4 years ago, only half used. Waxed it back in the fall of 2020 with Ice Seal N Shine, water's still beads up.

Used one of these to wax it as in the video: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Driv...Count/35737151
It was overcast today so started on the hood. I sprayed too much on the pad and got streaking. I went back over it with a damp microfiber towel and it removed the streaks. This stuff is thin and a little goes a long way. Used less on the rest of the car but still got some streaking. I'll let it sit 24 hours to cure and will post some pics.

Application: not as easy to apply a base coat as TW Ice Seal N Shine. I had to go back over most of the car with a damp microfiber cloth and buff it again, double work. Have others here had success applying it in direct sunlight? The next time I use it will be the 1-Step method. I used it on the rubber trim and it did not stain it, made it look better. Too lazy to do the wheels. Did not use it on the windows.

Price: TW Ice Seal N Shine 16oz $9.97 from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-50.../dp/B07NW9D8FG
TW Hybrid Solutions Pro Flex Wax 23oz $25.99 from TW; as of today, Edit 8/11, $23.99 from Amazon, price fluctuates daily. https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53.../dp/B08P53V7KN
Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating 16oz, $14.52 from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53.../dp/B07XYPS3PS

Shine: Ok for an almost 9 year old car (born date 12/2012), color looks a a bit deeper than with Seal N Shine, all the streaks buffed out.

Ingredients: This is a mostly water based emulsion/suspension formula (SHAKE WELL). My microfiber application pad washed out completely with soap and water. I usually have to throw them out after 1 use.
53477_53495_HSP_Flex_Wax_Cal_WebForm_IDD_09182020.pdf
The ingredients are listed in order of predominance, with the ingredients used in the greatest amount first, followed in descending order by those in smaller amounts. Interesting that Silicone Micro Emulsion and Dimethicone (silicon-based polymer) are high on the list under Lubricants followed by Carnauba wax, Glycol Montanate (found in cosmetic products), Castor oil, and Beeswax under Wax Additives. Graphite under Lubricant is near the bottom.

For comparison here's the ingredients in TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wax Spray Coating. There are no waxes listed in the formulation.
53409_53416__53701_Hybrid_Solutions_Ceramic_Wax_Coating_Cal_WebForm_IDD (1).pdf

Good article on What's the truth about ceramic car wax:
https://ceramicpro.com/whats-the-tru...ramic-car-wax/

Durability: too early to tell, I'll post back in a few months and let you know.

Buy again: I think I only used 1 or 2 ounces so this bottle should last for about 10 or more applications. So, yeah maybe, would buy again but at my age it may outlast me.

Name:  PANA1802.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  292.5 KB

Name:  PANA1807.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  300.3 KB

Name:  PANA1815.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  295.0 KB

Washed after use, good to use again.
Name:  PANA1805.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  240.6 KB

Good comparison video and how to apply:

Last edited by RickyBobby; 08-27-2021 at 04:37 AM.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #17
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
On sale now at Amazon for $20.85. https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53.../dp/B08P53V7KN
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #18
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,529 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Stick with the older version of seal and shine... otherwise fusso coat.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote