follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #15
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
*Whistle* I wish my S2000 looked like that :P
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
Sideways&Smiling (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #16
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
*Whistle* I wish my S2000 looked like that :P
Saem.

Could probably build it with a spare $100k and a LOT of time though. lol
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
BRZZZZZZZZZZ (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #17
Sideways&Smiling

For anyone who wants to see production car times @ Tsukuba, check this link: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/tsukuba
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
BRZZZZZZZZZZ (02-04-2016), Joakim3 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
Sideways&Smiling

Also, I believe the only car with a faster time on this track than the Scorch S15 or this S2000 is a formula car:

ARTA Reynard Formula Nippon: 46.935 seconds

For better context, the Autobacs ARTA JGTC (now Super GT) NSX holds a time of 51.875 seconds... and that was on racing slicks!!! So, this S2000 is faster than the original NSX pro GT racecar on this track.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
You should look up the times posted there by higher end cars. There are many 100-300k cars that don't come close to times like this. You guys are forgetting that cars like this and the Scorch S15 destroy plenty of other high end cars, including GTRs and the like, on track. As fast as the $120k Viper ACR is, this thing would crush it. Much lighter, more extreme aero, better power to weight. What's not to like?

Sure, a formula car could or professional GT3 car could do it too, but it's not the same. Building the car is part of the challenge.
You do understand that this is car is worth well over $100k-$300k right? The wind tunnel time/costs that went into its' development could have reached those costs alone. Every minor detail of this car has been touched to get to 51 seconds at Tsukuba. Much like a Winston Cup car this is essentially an S2K in name only. Comparing this race car to street cars is pretty over the top. Even the migthy ACR has to be crashworthy, CARB certified, and pass a million more regulations and restrictions that this car isn't restricted by. Let's not get carried away.

http://www.the-lowdown.com/top-fuel-voltex-s2000/
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Pat (02-03-2016), Re_Invention (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #20
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
You do understand that this is car is worth well over $100k-$300k right? The wind tunnel time/costs that went into its' development could have reached those costs alone. Every minor detail of this car has been touched to get to 51 seconds at Tsukuba. Much like a Winston Cup car this is essentially an S2K in name only. Comparing this race car to street cars is pretty over the top. Even the migthy ACR has to be crashworthy, CARB certified, and pass a million more regulations and restrictions that this car isn't restricted by. Let's not get carried away.

http://www.the-lowdown.com/top-fuel-voltex-s2000/
It is definitely not well over $300k. It still uses the S2000 monocoque and stock suspension geometry! It's not as wild as you guys think it is. They are working in partnership with Voltex, who has their own (small) wind tunnel... and the Scorch S15 is even faster than this car, and the owner/driver of that car, Under Suzuki, makes his own aero (without windtesting). It's definitely possible to build a car like one of these with a $100k budget. Are there super high budget cars that compete? Sure, the Tilton Evo is one of them... but some of the cars (even record setting cars) are built with a fraction of the budget. The MCA Hammerhead S13 is another car that proves that.

And sure, comparing a road going car isn't only about performance due to the reasons you mentioned. That's not the point. The point I was making is that people can (and do) build extremely high performance cars out of 90s/early 2000s affordable sports cars, and that's cool as fuck. The whole point is about pushing the limits of what modified production cars can do. That's part of the challenge and the appeal.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #21
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It is definitely not well over $300k. It still uses the S2000 monocoque and stock suspension geometry! It's not as wild as you guys think it is. They are working in partnership with Voltex, who has their own (small) wind tunnel... and the Scorch S15 is even faster than this car, and the owner/driver of that car, Under Suzuki, makes his own aero (without windtesting). It's definitely possible to build a car like one of these with a $100k budget. Are there super high budget cars that compete? Sure, the Tilton Evo is one of them... but some of the cars (even record setting cars) are built with a fraction of the budget. The MCA Hammerhead S13 is another car that proves that.

And sure, comparing a road going car isn't only about performance due to the reasons you mentioned. That's not the point. The point I was making is that people can (and do) build extremely high performance cars out of 90s/early 2000s affordable sports cars, and that's cool as fuck. The whole point is about pushing the limits of what modified production cars can do. That's part of the challenge and the appeal.
I said well over $100k to $300k, not solely over $300k. Still I think you are way underestimating the costs in developing a car to this degree. This isn't grass-roots motorsports. It's professional. Costs, especially the cost of labor are huge. As you noted, this car is made of custom parts. Voltex is no small business. Not even close. This is not a tuner car tossed together from assimilated of bolt-ons stuff that anyone can buy and break records with. To get to this level, custom fabricated parts go through several iterations of design, fabrication, and most importantly validation and testing. This takes time. Time is money, lots of it. Remember, everyone wants to be the fastest and to break records, but only some do, mostly by the skill of their engineers, and drivers, but also through the will of their financiers.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #22
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Is there an regulations/rules for these time attack cars?
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #23
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
It seems like there's a much more cost effective way to do a 51 second lap around Tsukuba.
I agree - Radical, Ultima and Ariel Atom come to mind for comparable money.

Sideways makes a point - I suppose there is something [cool???] about having an outdated Honda do Gran Turismo lap times. Would love to sit shotgun for a lap.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
BRZZZZZZZZZZ (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #24
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
I agree - Radical, Ultima and Ariel Atom come to mind for comparable money.

Sideways makes a point - I suppose there is something [cool???] about having an outdated Honda do Gran Turismo lap times. Would love to sit shotgun for a lap.
I wouldn't be so sure about the Radical, Ultima, Atom, etc.... They haven't done it yet. Remember, they don't have the best aero.

For the record, I don't understand why people who don't like and/or don't understand time attack come into threads about time attack cars setting records and start ranting. We don't care that you think big wings are ugly. We don't care that you don't understand why someone would put money into cheaper/older cars. We don't care if you prefer stock cars or show cars or stance nation or autocross or whatever.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #25
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
Is there an regulations/rules for these time attack cars?
Yes, there are some, but not many. Different leagues have slightly different rules, but WTAC is the biggest:

http://www.worldtimeattack.com/index...ac-2015-rules/
Old 02-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #26
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about the Radical, Ultima, Atom, etc.... They haven't done it yet. Remember, they don't have the best aero.

For the record, I don't understand why people who don't like and/or don't understand time attack come into threads about time attack cars setting records and start ranting. We don't care that you think big wings are ugly. We don't care that you don't understand why someone would put money into cheaper/older cars. We don't care if you prefer stock cars or show cars or stance nation or autocross or whatever.
Well according to the WTAC 2015 rule book - open wheel, kit, and clubman vehicles are not allowed, so there's that.

Sideways, I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice.

There is no "we" or "they" following you into thread(s) facetiously - you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Relax.

It isn't necessary to understand the rationale behind folks posting opinions which aren't positive reinforcement to the topic. It's great that it's happening and abusive censorship isn't occurring. Everyone has been respectful and on topic thus far, if people don't share your opinion or aren't sympathetic to your cause - doesn't matter - it's an automotive off-topic section of a car forum.

Thirdly, the ignore feature is fantastic to filter political differences - Buddha knows I use mine liberally.

Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #27
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I like the car, I like the engineering and I like time attack. Still don't get it.

From a contextualized standpoint, I don't get calling what IT IS, a "production class". So the suspension pick up points, monocoque and dashboard are the same... Big whoop, nothing else is remotely "production". So maybe it's just the semantics I don't get but still.

It's like it answers a question nobody was asking. "Can we make an s2k do 51 sec laptime at tsukuba?"... Well, the answer is almost yes followed by, "how big is your bank account?". The only limits that are really being pushed are financial ones frankly.

It's so far gone from its original self that this record lends little to no credibility to the car it was built from... At least for me. I wonder what $150k fully bespok v8 Atom can do. As for it setting faster laptimes than a race car.. Well that's no surprise, race cars are built to maximize a rule set as opposed to maximizing 1 flying lap with unubtanium aero. So the race car comparison holds little water.

I'm just typing all this cuz I missed my flight and I'm trapped at the airport with little to keep me occupied.
DAEMANO (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #28
Joakim3

Drives: 04' Saab 9-5 Aero
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I'd imagine with enough will power one could throw some massive turbos on a Ariel Atom/Caterham, buy some old discarded 04' F1 front/rear wings, throw on some slicks and get damn close to this time and come in under 100k lol

I'd love to see what something like that idiotic Peguot 208 T16 or an V10 F1 car could do on this track

You know what they say... pick two: cheap, fast, reliable.
Joakim3 is offline   Reply With Quote