follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #85
Deltaking

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone have anything on the BZR/GT86 supercharger? would be nice to see the setup in SA and the output/gain...
Deltaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:46 AM   #86
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammod View Post
Haha, I'll arrange for low and high boost dyno's as soon as the clutch is installed and its brought back to me for finishing off on high boost.

SC kits are great, we could have signed up with one of those manufacturers to distribute the kits but I'm a turbo fan. A fan of the power delivery, power potential and methodology.

There a few competent guys to go to in JHB for mechanical and tuning work should you decided to bring a SC kit in yourself.
For interest sake and since you've done track before, why would you prefer a turbo's power delivery? Surely a linear power curve and instant throttle response should be your most important consideration?

If you were chasing dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times then I'd understand.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #87
sav
Official anti-BS squad

ver1 Vortech vs ver1 Sprintex 3 years ago:

Same day, same stingy dyno(wkw) @ Zwartkops. Stock car was making about 100kw if I remember correctly.

220nm @ 2000rpm? Yes please.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (04-19-2016), Dammod (04-19-2016), ShaunWRX (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 AM   #88
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaking View Post
Anyone have anything on the BZR/GT86 supercharger? would be nice to see the setup in SA and the output/gain...
Go searching for the Forced Induction thread. There are TONS of topics/discussions/debates/facts/figures.................... you get the point.

There are quite a few SA dudes with SC's. @Fisheagle as the RGM Vortech kit and there are a few sprintex cars and a few turbo's cruising around SA.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:09 AM   #89
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
For interest sake and since you've done track before, why would you prefer a turbo's power delivery? Surely a linear power curve and instant throttle response should be your most important consideration?

If you were chasing dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times then I'd understand.
In my opinion:
I think the misconception comes from improperly sized turbo's on low compression motors, hitting a tight technical track with a huge turbo that only comes on to boost at 5k rpm.

Take a high compression motor like in the GT86 with an 18G size turbo (or thereabouts) and you will have good top end power with great midrange torque - Similar spool characteristics to a TD04 on a EJ25 but without the asthmatic feel at higher RPM's.

Driving style also plays a role. If you look at formula 1 and the introduction of turbo's motors, initially the drivers were swapping ends almost every race, but as they adapted to the increased mid range torque things improved and you hardly see that happening anymore.

Confirmation bias perhaps, but I see most competitive tuning shops on this site and in general other forms of racing go for TC over SC.
Have a look at the spool characteristics I speak of in some of the low speed corners of this track:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj0GwdS7kUI"]AVO Turbocharged BRZ sets a record at Okayama Circuit! - YouTube[/ame]

I also mentioned liking the methodology behind a TC car compared to SC. Parasitic loss (loosing power to make power) behind a SC car seems a little "backward" to me.

The advantages to a SC build however is less of a need for an oil cooler (although I would get one anyway if tracking) as well a ease of installation.

Last edited by Dammod; 05-30-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #90
Deltaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
Go searching for the Forced Induction thread. There are TONS of topics/discussions/debates/facts/figures.................... you get the point.

There are quite a few SA dudes with SC's. @Fisheagle as the RGM Vortech kit and there are a few sprintex cars and a few turbo's cruising around SA.
I have looked at quite a few threads but nothing provides enough gain for me to really spend the money, seems like slapping in a 2JZ-GTE is the best way to get a good ration of HP/$.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not really a turbo fan... I love raw power, just raw!

As it stands now the only things I look toward doing is replacing the rims and perhaps a tune...

But at the end of the day a guess everyone has their own love for their BRZ/GT86 just something about the car that makes you want to drive it even if it is for no reason...
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 AM   #91
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
I have looked at quite a few threads but nothing provides enough gain for me to really spend the money, seems like slapping in a 2JZ-GTE is the best way to get a good ration of HP/$.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not really a turbo fan... I love raw power, just raw!

As it stands now the only things I look toward doing is replacing the rims and perhaps a tune...

But at the end of the day a guess everyone has their own love for their BRZ/GT86 just something about the car that makes you want to drive it even if it is for no reason...
Of course - this is a "drivers" car - and I think it'll be rare to find an 86/BRZ owner who isn't a little bit of a petrol head.

I've asked around - and unfortunately in SA an engine swap is a MAJOR problem. Party because we need to import everything = exchange rate issues, and partly because our market is so small compared to the US that finding an experience mechanic/tuner to do it is a problem.

I've been down this road a little...

I also want more power in the long run - and for my needs, my skills and my planned driving a SC makes more sense. It's subjective, but I reckon the 250-300hp range will be fine for me.

I've done headers + exhaust and a tune, and that already makes the car much more driveable (no torque dip) + adds a few HP. Would dig to drive mine next to a standard one now, just to see what the real world difference actually is. As for rims...can't find rims I like that are lighter than stock (yet) and nor R20k for a set!

@Dammod - sorry for the - looking forwards to more info on this kit when you get the car back!
Old 04-20-2016, 01:44 AM   #92
Deltaking

Quote:
Of course - this is a "drivers" car - and I think it'll be rare to find an 86/BRZ owner who isn't a little bit of a petrol head.

I've asked around - and unfortunately in SA an engine swap is a MAJOR problem. Party because we need to import everything = exchange rate issues, and partly because our market is so small compared to the US that finding an experience mechanic/tuner to do it is a problem.

I also want more power in the long run - and for my needs, my skills and my planned driving a SC makes more sense. It's subjective, but I reckon the 250-300hp range will be fine for me.

I've done headers + exhaust and a tune, and that already makes the car much more driveable (no torque dip) + adds a few HP. Would dig to drive mine next to a standard one now, just to see what the real world difference actually is. As for rims...can't find rims I like that are lighter than stock (yet) and nor R20k for a set!

@Dammod - sorry for the - looking forwards to more info on this kit when you get the car back!
How much more HP do you get out of it now?
Old 04-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #93
Dammod

Quote:

Haha no problem bud :-)
Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #94
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
How much more HP do you get out of it now?
I didn't dyno it before, so a dyno after won't give much of a comparison (and therefore I haven't done one)...

But the general consensus figures on what I've done is a 20-25% increase at the wheels with e85, and 15-20% on normal petrol.

Put it this way - the butt dyno can feel I have a little increase, and the best part is that 2-4,000 RPM is now awesome!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #95
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
In my opinion:
I think the misconception comes from improperly sized turbo's on low compression motors, hitting a tight technical track with a huge turbo that only comes on to boost at 5k rpm.

Confirmation bias perhaps, but I see most competitive tuning shops on this site and in general other forms of racing go for TC over SC.

The advantages to a SC build however is less of a need for an oil cooler (although I would get one anyway if tracking) as well a ease of installation.
1. You are biased.... (just kidding, but really, you are).

2. A TC does have some very nice advantages, but 2 things are key... right size, and a proper set up. One of the things that makes me cautious is that even good quality hardware can be ruined by poor set up.

3. A SC does "tend" to produce power in a more linear fashion... which means no "Kick" of torque/hp. It can be both a pro and a con depending on your needs/driving style etc like you said.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 AM   #96
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Not going to browse through 7 pages, but have you posted a dyno graph of the Avo car yet?

Using a TD04 on EJ25 as an example is really not going to win me over.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #97
Dammod

So after getting a Exedy Stage 2 clutch installed, we finally got our hands on the car again, and are really pleased with the result.

There is a good 20kw still to be had at the same high boost level but the 5PSI actuator, which is perfect for low boost, isn't holding boost at higher RPM's on high boost, and there is still some room for it to be leaned out - having said that, its probably a decent amount of torque already for the stock rods to handle.

The car is VERY quick on the street with all the torque where you need it - no need to wring its neck till redline to get any power, its all there where you need it and there is LOTS of it.
Really going to miss not driving this one!

After the first high boost run, the dyno owner said he thought that car was loosing traction so decided its best he sit on the back - it was a proud moment

Last edited by Dammod; 06-02-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dammod For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (05-31-2016), riri86 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:42 AM   #98
ShaunWRX

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So after getting a Exedy Stage 2 clutch installed, we finally got our hands on the car again, and are really pleased with the result.

There is a good 20kw still to be had at the same boost level but the 5PSI actuator isn't holding boost at higher RPM's on high boost and there is still some room for it to be leaned out - having said that, its probably a decent amount of torque already for the stock rods to handle.

The car is VERY quick on the street with all the torque where you need it. Really going to miss not driving this one!

After the first high boost run, the dyno owner said he thought that car was loosing traction so decided its best he sit on the back - it was a proud moment
Great job! Now if I had the money...
Dammod (05-31-2016)