follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #57
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
Finally shipped, est delivery 12/22

ALI Express has some amazing deals but man its torture waiting for stuff to ship. 10 years ago it wouldn't bother me but today we are all spoiled by Amazon's shipping times. Hahaha. Can't wait to see how this thing works out for you.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #58
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
ALI Express has some amazing deals but man its torture waiting for stuff to ship. 10 years ago it wouldn't bother me but today we are all spoiled by Amazon's shipping times. Hahaha. Can't wait to see how this thing works out for you.
Yeah, it also depends on the seller. Joying actually overnights their stuff. I have a HU now so luckily I'm not in a rush to install a new unit. I'll start a new thread once I get the TEYES.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rican_D For This Useful Post:
Drifter X (11-19-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #59
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Started a new thread
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #60
ymshulman

Drives: '17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I ended up ordering the 11.6" unit from Joying - I believe that it's the same system as the 10.1", but a larger front screen. (Found a deal on eBay for a new unit that I couldn't resist.)

Now I'm looking to order the extra harnesses I'll need - the Toyota specific one from Joying, and the piece to retain factory USB.

There are a few things I'm trying to figure out - as I'm a complete n00b to this. I would appreciate clarity on any and all of these questions:

(Oh, and I have the 2017 BRZ Limited.)

1. Does our car have a GPS antenna somewhere? Is that what the sharkfin is, or is that a radio antenna? If so, is it better to purchase an adapter (like this one) instead of using GPS antennas that come with the headunit? (And would that adapter just plug into the place where the external GPS antenna that comes with the unit goes?)

2. It sounds like I need a 12v to 6v stepdown to retain the factory backup camera. Is that something that integrates into some harness in some way? I'm not clear on that.

3. Do I need anything special to retain steering wheel controls?

4. I know there's been a lot of talk about how the refreshed cars bypass the stock amp, and threads about getting it back. Is that something that I need/ can work with as I'm installing the Joying unit?

I'd welcome input here. This will be the first time I try something like this, but I'm excited to get a better infotainment experience.
ymshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:59 AM   #61
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymshulman View Post
I ended up ordering the 11.6" unit from Joying - I believe that it's the same system as the 10.1", but a larger front screen. (Found a deal on eBay for a new unit that I couldn't resist.)

Now I'm looking to order the extra harnesses I'll need - the Toyota specific one from Joying, and the piece to retain factory USB.

There are a few things I'm trying to figure out - as I'm a complete n00b to this. I would appreciate clarity on any and all of these questions:

(Oh, and I have the 2017 BRZ Limited.)

1. Does our car have a GPS antenna somewhere? Is that what the sharkfin is, or is that a radio antenna? If so, is it better to purchase an adapter (like this one) instead of using GPS antennas that come with the headunit? (And would that adapter just plug into the place where the external GPS antenna that comes with the unit goes?)

2. It sounds like I need a 12v to 6v stepdown to retain the factory backup camera. Is that something that integrates into some harness in some way? I'm not clear on that.

3. Do I need anything special to retain steering wheel controls?

4. I know there's been a lot of talk about how the refreshed cars bypass the stock amp, and threads about getting it back. Is that something that I need/ can work with as I'm installing the Joying unit?

I'd welcome input here. This will be the first time I try something like this, but I'm excited to get a better infotainment experience.

I can answer a couple of your questions.

Questions 1, 2, and 3: Start here: https://autoharnesshouse.com/

4: If you're wanting to go aftermarket head unit, remember that the OEM door speakers are 2-ohms. Most aftermarket head units will get hot and eventually quit outputting any sound if you connect 2-ohm speakers to the speaker outputs. You will have to check the head units' specifications to find out. It may be in your best interest to go ahead and operate your OEM door speakers through the OEM amp.........unless you're planning on adding aftermarket amplification.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
ymshulman (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 02:05 AM   #62
ymshulman

Thank you! That's super helpful - and I had no idea that bypassing the amp could be an issue for aftermarket headunits. I'll definitely look into that, and try to figure out how to make sure it does work through the amp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post

4: If you're wanting to go aftermarket head unit, remember that the OEM door speakers are 2-ohms. Most aftermarket head units will get hot and eventually quit outputting any sound if you connect 2-ohm speakers to the speaker outputs. You will have to check the head units' specifications to find out. It may be in your best interest to go ahead and operate your OEM door speakers through the OEM amp.........unless you're planning on adding aftermarket amplification.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:13 AM   #63
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the Toyota 86 was only given the Harman head unit option beginning in 2019. I don't believe the BRZ had that option, so you shouldn't have to worry about amplifier re-integration. The bypass kit should not be installed in your 2017 model anyway, unless someone has installed it prior to you owning the car and installed the Harman head unit along with it.
ymshulman (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #64
ymshulman

Joying 10.1" Android 8.1 4gb+32gb Intel 8-core +DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post

Thanks again for this!

It seems like autoharness’ business model is to make things plug and play… and to charge quote a bit for the privilege.

But since Joying makes a Toyota harness (photo attached), most of that is unnecessary. A harness plus a USB retaining piece is about $40.

The one thing that isn’t clear is how to retain the factory backup camera, how to wire up the stepdown from 12v to 6v; and whether there is a way to retain factory GPS antenna (assuming I have one… still trying to figure that out as well.) Joying’s website says they aren’t compatible with factory GPS - but then again, they often said the same thing about the backup camera.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #65
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymshulman View Post
Thanks again for this!

It seems like autoharness’ business model is to make things plug and play… and to charge quote a bit for the privilege.

But since Joying makes a Toyota harness (photo attached), most of that is unnecessary. A harness plus a USB retaining piece is about $40.

The one thing that isn’t clear is how to retain the factory backup camera, how to wire up the stepdown from 12v to 6v; and whether there is a way to retain factory GPS antenna (assuming I have one… still trying to figure that out as well.) Joying’s website says they aren’t compatible with factory GPS - but then again, they often said the same thing about the backup camera.

I suggest pulling the OEM head unit out of the dash and start looking at what is connected back there and look to see if there are any extra harnesses that are not being used as well that you can try to identify. This set of pictures may help you out in identifying the plugs,
Name:  Screenshot_20210617-194510~2.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  225.0 KB
but it is for a 2019 Toyota 86, however these cars were all built in the same factory. Just note that there are slight differences between Toyota and Subaru. I don't own a BRZ so I can't verify your connections for you, but you now have some good information to help you along.

I'm sure you can ask around here and someone will point you in the right direction.

Also, don't forget this thread here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29027
There's some good information in it.
ymshulman (07-15-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:15 PM   #66
Celigts

Drives: 2014 Toyota FRS
Garage
Just bought the Joying 10.1 6GB + 128GB 1920x1200

I have a 2014 frs. ( no steering wheel controls )

All I care about it having my original mic and original USB working near the shifter.

What items do I need to buy separately?
Dash kit? (I bought single din model)
USB kit?
Mic kit?
Harness?

Any part numbers would help.
I’ve purchased the Joying Toyota Harness so far. Is this all I need? Thanks.
Celigts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:17 PM   #67
ymshulman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celigts View Post
Just bought the Joying 10.1 6GB + 128GB 1920x1200

I have a 2014 frs. ( no steering wheel controls )

All I care about it having my original mic and original USB working near the shifter.

What items do I need to buy separately?
Dash kit? (I bought single din model)
USB kit?
Mic kit?
Harness?

Any part numbers would help.
I’ve purchased the Joying Toyota Harness so far. Is this all I need? Thanks.

Joying at some point actually made me a custom harness, which enabled the factory mic.

It was _terrible_. Absolutely unusable.

A better direction would be to run the aftermarket mic into the factory location.
The Following User Says Thank You to ymshulman For This Useful Post:
Celigts (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #68
ymshulman

If there was a way to insert audio files in here, I'd share a recording from each mic.

Tags
android, androidauto, carplay, headunit, joying