follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible to auto unlock with proximity?

Does anyone know if there's an option that can be enabled (E.G. using Techstream or something else) to allow the car to auto-unlock when the key is within proximity range?

I.E. the dome light automatically turns on when I approach the car, but I need to touch the handle to unlock the doors.

What I'd like is for it to automatically unlock the doors when I approach the car (and ideally automatically lock them when I walk away).

I had an aftermarket proximity key and push button start system in my previous car that did that, and the BRZ's system clearly can detect the key as I approach (since the dome light automatically turns on).

While I'm thinking about it, whether or not the above is an option, is there an option to have it always unlock BOTH doors when you touch the driver's side handle?

I was a bit spoiled by the system in my old car, and taking the fob out of my pocket to unlock the passenger door (or unlock it with the switch once the driver's door is open) seems like too much work for my lazy ass...LOL.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #2
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
There is an option to unlock both doors, it’s in the manual somewhere.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Tatsu333 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I don't believe there's ever been an option for proximity unlock.

You can add your own aftermarket alarm that'll do it just the same though
Tatsu333 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
is there an option to have it always unlock BOTH doors . . .
I found the following "general" instructions and they worked in my 2017:

The following instructions will work for most Toyota vehicles:

(1) Be inside the vehicle, door shut, vehicle POWER switch off.

(2) On the Smart Key remote, simultaneously press the red alarm button and the lock button for about 5 seconds until you hear it beep.

(3) Unlock the doors using the Smart Key remote and open one of the doors. Repeat these steps until you get to the desired mode.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-27-2022), Tatsu333 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
Tatsu333

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
I found the following "general" instructions and they worked in my 2017:

The following instructions will work for most Toyota vehicles:

(1) Be inside the vehicle, door shut, vehicle POWER switch off.

(2) On the Smart Key remote, simultaneously press the red alarm button and the lock button for about 5 seconds until you hear it beep.

(3) Unlock the doors using the Smart Key remote and open one of the doors. Repeat these steps until you get to the desired mode.

OK - tried the above, and it works for getting the touch sensor in the handle to unlock both doors. There was a YouTube video as well that suggested the same process but with the driver's door open, but the above worked for me FWIW, so thanks!

Here's a link to the video:

EDIT: Turns out it also works to switch between the modes for the handle if you just press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the fob from outside the car, so there are two methods to do this.

I would note that this DOESN'T make the unlock button on the fob unlock both doors, however, regardless of which method you use to enable it for the touch sensor.

My owner's manual says that having the fob unlock both doors is an option that is programmable by the dealer (so presumably done with Techstream). This threw me off, making me think the process hadn't worked at all because I was sitting in the car cursing at it for still only unlocking one door with the fob's unlock button and hadn't tried the handle...LOL.

So...it's partway to where I want it.

Last edited by Tatsu333; 03-28-2022 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Corrected feedback and added second method for switching handle sensor mode
Tatsu333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tatsu333 For This Useful Post:
Hurricane Nate (04-27-2022), LimitedSlip (03-28-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #6
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
Does anyone know if there's an option that can be enabled (E.G. using Techstream or something else) to allow the car to auto-unlock when the key is within proximity range?

I.E. the dome light automatically turns on when I approach the car, but I need to touch the handle to unlock the doors.

What I'd like is for it to automatically unlock the doors when I approach the car (and ideally automatically lock them when I walk away).

I had an aftermarket proximity key and push button start system in my previous car that did that, and the BRZ's system clearly can detect the key as I approach (since the dome light automatically turns on).

While I'm thinking about it, whether or not the above is an option, is there an option to have it always unlock BOTH doors when you touch the driver's side handle?

I was a bit spoiled by the system in my old car, and taking the fob out of my pocket to unlock the passenger door (or unlock it with the switch once the driver's door is open) seems like too much work for my lazy ass...LOL.

https://www.compustar.com/accessories/ez-go/

This allows an unlock of the doors as you approach with the device and ties into a compustar alarm system. I have used one on a previous car and it works well. As I walk up to the vehicle it disarms the alarm and unlocks the doors. The generation I had did not do the auto lock part you were asking, although the newer one does.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zippy For This Useful Post:
Tatsu333 (04-24-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I dont think ive ever come across a car with proximity lock/unlock....which car does that?
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:26 AM   #8
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My 2009 Scion tC does proximity lock but not unlock.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 01:20 PM   #9
Tatsu333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
https://www.compustar.com/accessories/ez-go/

This allows an unlock of the doors as you approach with the device and ties into a compustar alarm system. I have used one on a previous car and it works well. As I walk up to the vehicle it disarms the alarm and unlocks the doors. The generation I had did not do the auto lock part you were asking, although the newer one does.
Thanks for that info! As I mentioned, on my previous car I had an aftermarket system (Advanced Keys AK-105B) that did what I wanted.

Unfortunately, I found that it created a small constant drain on the battery, and with how little I drive my car (only about 500-600 km or 300-400 miles per month), it ended up having me run through a battery about every other year...LOL. This was regardless of what kind of battery I ran - everything from OEM to high-end AGM batteries just got hammered from my usage case.

For that reason, I'm kind of leery of any aftermarket systems this time around.

Figuring out how to have it automatically unlock both doors with the handle touch at least resolves a big part of my annoyance with it. We'll see how I do with just that bit taken care of.