follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #3221
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
t's like some of those awful Pontiac Firebird or split-bumpered front fascias people made for the new Camaro.
I was with you..right up until here. I will admit the 2017 conversions I've seen aren't that great but I think the pre-2016 looked better as a Firebird/Trans Am if done right.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #3222
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's why I said "some of". That one is definitely excellent.

I'm thinking more along the lines of this Acura-beaked monstrosity.

or this

Just because one can, doesn't mean one should.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #3223
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I was with you..right up until here. I will admit the 2017 conversions I've seen aren't that great but I think the pre-2016 looked better as a Firebird/Trans Am if done right.

GAHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO. All of these "Trans am" "GTO" conversions for the new Camaro are God awful. Eff transam depot....eff them a lot. I hate how every few months someone will post one of these, or buy one from a dealer and say they have a "Trans am." FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Burn them all with fire, then spread the ashes evenly across the continents so they can never re-assemble.

Pontiac is dead. Leave them be. 2002 was the last TA and it has been long enough to come to grips with that fact.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #3224
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Short Rant...

The CB was a failure to people in this market because Art-Deco styling does not belong on this car, no matter what demographic they were targeting. Shit, Art-Deco is barely surviving even with Chryslers (the new Pacifica is one of their cleanest designs in years and barely A.D.). Where Art-Deco works is on ornamented Grand Touring cars, Service vehicles, Estate Cars, and Luxury SUVs. The 86 is none of these and it's especially NOT A GT (despite the poorly chosen trim level "GT" in much of the world (this was so dumb)).

Clearly the CB's designers are skilled at what they do. What they chose for the 86 simply made no sense. Don't do it again.

/rant
I think if they had tried this with the last generation MR2 (the Spyder), it would've been much more successful. The look would actually work with the character of the car, and the lines of the car.

I always liked that concept the best.
When the production version came out, I was a bit disappointed - but looking again, I'm now quite surprised with how faithful the FRS/GT86 was to this Scion concept. If you exclude the concept-bits which never would've made it to any production car (i.e. those giant wheels completely filling the wheel wells, the crazy rear diffuser), an amazing amount of those character lines (the shoulder, the tail, etc.) made it to production.

They should've just taken the taillights from this concept and put them on the refresh (I really dislike the new taillights - even worse than the Altezzas for the first gen).
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #3225
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Just because you can use it to cruise, doesn't mean that's what it's design goals were. R&D as well as design resources are all focused at the goals for the platform. The use case you describe above is feasible and maybe even comfortable however the point actually is "aggressive BS". Not grand touring. So even though it'll get you up and down the coast in 4th and 5th gear does not a relaxed single lane highway cruiser it make. For that reason, the CB's styling feels totally wrong for the platform.
I know what the design goals were/are. I'm talking only about appearance. Sticking an aggressive face on the car to make up for its shortcomings (though I don't think it has any worth mentioning) is stupid. I guess you are confirming that sticking plastic aggressiveness on the car is the right decision, though.

I'll be sure to only enjoy "agressive BS" driving from now on and ignore the other things it does very well, such as cruise down the coast quickly with minimal drama. The "girly" front with a Tapout decal would cover the agressive base.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #3226
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Pontiac is dead. Leave them be. 2002 was the last TA and it has been long enough to come to grips with that fact.
No particular love for Pontiac, I just liked the body style better. Camaro ruled the GM pony car styling in the 60's but Firebird was better in the 70's (in my opinion).

When the Camaro came back, I always thought it looked more Firebird than Camaro so to me it looked better full on Firebird.

I am not crazy about any of the current crop from Trans Am Depot though. The GTO is reaallly bad IMHO.
Attached Images

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #3227
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Go ugly early.

not even close to ugly. Hater
Old 10-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #3228
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
not even close to ugly. Hater
It's all subjective. I think it's hideous too.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #3229
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I know what the design goals were/are. I'm talking only about appearance. Sticking an aggressive face on the car to make up for its shortcomings (though I don't think it has any worth mentioning) is stupid. I guess you are confirming that sticking plastic aggressiveness on the car is the right decision, though.

I'll be sure to only enjoy "agressive BS" driving from now on and ignore the other things it does very well, such as cruise down the coast quickly with minimal drama. The "girly" front with a Tapout decal would cover the agressive base.
Strong design comes best as a result of function. Styling is added afterwards to evoke additional emotions inspired by the intent of the vehicle. They are all related to and should come as a result of the intended function of the car.

The CB with its' visually higher nose and art-deco inspired faux chrome and oblong shapes evoke a notion of touring, luxury, and comfort.

Certainly you can enjoy whatever form of touring you're willing to accept from this car. I encourage you to do so, and if you'd like to mod your car to express those capabilities, mod on brother.

Still, few would agree that the CB edition (that suggests Chrysler Crossfire, PT Cruiser, or a Cadillac from the 1950's) expresses little of the original intent or purpose of these modern subcompact inexpensive featherweight 2+2 sportscars.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #3230
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Strong design comes best as a result of function. Styling is added afterwards to evoke additional emotions inspired by the intent of the vehicle. They are all related to and should come as a result of the intended function of the car.
There are any number of vehicles with the same intent as the 86 that manage to perform and look good without resorting to the sort of "styling" being hung off the front of the 86, and if the Prius Prime is any indication it is going to get worse. I'd be willing to bet that having that soft front end would not change the intent or performance of the car one bit, except on the sales floor and that's idiotic.

Yelling at clouds, I am.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #3231
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
There are any number of vehicles with the same intent as the 86 that manage to perform and look good without resorting to the sort of "styling" being hung off the front of the 86, and if the Prius Prime is any indication it is going to get worse. I'd be willing to bet that having that soft front end would not change the intent or performance of the car one bit, except on the sales floor and that's idiotic.

Yelling at clouds, I am.
Question is... why are you yelling at all?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #3232
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Question is... why are you yelling at all?
It's a vent for my rage. What good is being outraged if you can't share? You are right, though. I should just point and laugh at people who choose a car based on what face it wears and move on.
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #3233
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yelling at clouds, I am.
raven1231 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #3234
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's a vent for my rage. What good is being outraged if you can't share? You are right, though. I should just point and laugh at people who choose a car based on what face it wears and move on.
Why shouldn't you pick a car based on its looks? If you don't care about the other differences that's really the only thing left. Probably one of the most important things people look at when buying a car
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-13-2016), Mr.Impreza (10-12-2016)

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard