follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
ScratchMB
Banned

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry FRS Shifter Play Fix???

What’s up forums, I’m trying to figure out how to fix the excessive amount of play in my shifter on my FRS. I replaced my shifter springs with MTEC already, that didn’t do anything. The shifter has probably a half inch of play in each direction, atleast it feels like it does, I replaced the shifter with a short shifter a while ago and Tore up the boot and this other grommet thing that I can’t find anywhere.
I searched the entire illustrated parts lists on Subaru and Toyotas Parts pages and was able to find the part but can only get the part if I order an entire shifter which is like $100, the part I need is at the bottom of the shifting rod on the parts list I posted.
PART NUMBER: 33530F Where the A is all the way at the bottom
I am hoping if I replace that it will get rid of the insane amount of play I have in my shifter.
I don’t know where the find the part or how to, I would imagine you could just buy that part alone somewhere in the world.
If anyone knows where I can get it please let me know, I will post an update if that fixed my play or not.
Attached Images

ScratchMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
It should have a LITTLE play. A half inch is 100% what I'd consider to be in great shape. Maybe you should get us a video to demonstrate your concern.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:26 AM   #3
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Junkyard/used car part-outs
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #4
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Junkyard/used car part-outs
That’s not a bad idea, would you happen to know which cars share the same shifter as the FRS/BRZ/86 or do you think they’re the only ones with those shifters.
I haven’t seen any in the Junk yards near me but I haven’t looked in a while as well.
Thank you
Old 06-15-2020, 01:31 AM   #5
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
It should have a LITTLE play. A half inch is 100% what I'd consider to be in great shape. Maybe you should get us a video to demonstrate your concern.
It’s about the same amount of play that every one else complains about, I know it’s fixable though. I believe you just need the right bushings and such
Old 06-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What you need to get is one of those transmissions where you just push the button and it shifts instantly. There's a button on each side of the steering wheel. One button shifts up, the other button shifts down. Well, they're not really buttons they're more like paddles. There's even a feature where you can put it in "automatic" mode and it shifts automatically. And it doesn't even have a clutch. So no TOB woes. I forget what this kind of transmission is called. It's not the manual one, it's the other one.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #7
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
After a clutch install, my car came back with 1/2" of extra play than it had before. This is definitely something that the community should be looking into for fixes! If somebody ever gets around to doing shifter fixes, please document everything!

I haven't fixed mine yet because last time I tried, I cut my hand up pretty bad trying to take the interior trim apart to get to the shifter. My fingers aren't long enough to pop the interior console out to get to the assembly. Seems like it takes more force to pop the trim apart on the Premium model interior compared to the Limited (push start) interior because all the install vids I've watched using a PTS seemed to have no trouble popping it out.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
Bready

Drives: Scion FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I recently installed the TRD Short Shifter in my FRS. I went through 2 rubber boots and nearly a 3rd one because they're such a pain to fuddle with.

The rubber boot is Part Number: SU00300881

As for the play, it sounds to me like the metal ball portion of the shift lever isn't properly seated into the white ring. I fussed with my quick shift install for nearly 2 days and thought I wasted money and bought a wrong part until I was re-installing the OEM back and realized my dumbass didn't snap the metal ball properly into the white ring thing. After that, realization, I was able to sort everything out.
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bready For This Useful Post:
radroach (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
I recently installed the TRD Short Shifter in my FRS. I went through 2 rubber boots and nearly a 3rd one because they're such a pain to fuddle with.

As for the play, it sounds to me like the metal ball portion of the shift lever isn't properly seated into the white ring. I fussed with my quick shift install for nearly 2 days and thought I wasted money and bought a wrong part until I was re-installing the OEM back and realized my dumbass didn't snap the metal ball properly into the white ring thing. After that, realization, I was able to sort everything out.
The rubber boot isn’t the part I’m looking for, the part that I circled on the diagram is a completely different part, it actually goes around the bottom part of the shifting rod underneath the white part with the ball part.
The boot is more of a dust shield
Old 06-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
After a clutch install, my car came back with 1/2" of extra play than it had before. This is definitely something that the community should be looking into for fixes! If somebody ever gets around to doing shifter fixes, please document everything!

I haven't fixed mine yet because last time I tried, I cut my hand up pretty bad trying to take the interior trim apart to get to the shifter. My fingers aren't long enough to pop the interior console out to get to the assembly. Seems like it takes more force to pop the trim apart on the Premium model interior compared to the Limited (push start) interior because all the install vids I've watched using a PTS seemed to have no trouble popping it out.
I absolutely hate going on the forums for these cars cause everyone is so useless and doesn’t respond to the questions properly much like some of the other people that commented, like our boi up there talking about a automatic with paddle shifters.
If I wanted paddle shifters I’d fucking talk about them. :/
Old 06-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Bready then I'll be sure to check my shifter linkage dust boot next time its on a lift! Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
I googled the part number and skimmed an article (japanese) http://wernher.co.jp/tagebuch/2017/0...9%B9%E5%85%B8/ and they mentioned that the dust boot is problematic, and that you should install a new one when you get a new short shifter in. Any tips on removal / reinstall?
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #12
Bready

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchMB View Post
The rubber boot isn’t the part I’m looking for, the part that I circled on the diagram is a completely different part, it actually goes around the bottom part of the shifting rod underneath the white part with the ball part.
The boot is more of a dust shield
This link might help, but the diagram doesn't then go on to further label each smaller part. Supersession(s): SU003-04598; SU00300876; SU00304526; SU00304562

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Scion_201...U00304598.html

It should be enough information to speak to a parts dealer though.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #13
Bready

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@Bready then I'll be sure to check my shifter linkage dust boot next time its on a lift! Thanks man!

I googled the part number and skimmed an article (japanese) http://wernher.co.jp/tagebuch/2017/0...9%B9%E5%85%B8/ and they mentioned that the dust boot is problematic, and that you should install a new one when you get a new short shifter in. Any tips on removal / reinstall?

Be prepared to end up with bruised and sore fingers. If you have pliers as a last resort, it helps, but you also run the risk of ripping the rubber boot apart. Bare hands was easier than gloved hands. Try to make sure the rubber boot is warm. I left this part on my dash in sunlight to make sure it wasn't brittle, or soak it in some warm water before you start. You want to slip the boot onto the shift lever assembly first, and then connect the pin w/ clip. Now it's just a matter of persistance and slowly slowly stretch the boot over the pin & clip part of the assembly. Once you got it through the clip & pin, the rest is just alignment. As long as you're just using fingers, you never need to worry about ripping the boot, unless you're a gorilla. Do NOT use any grease/WD40 etc. It'll make it way more difficult to grip the boot. On my final install, I ended up needing to use pliers to help stretch the boot which did cause a rip along the 'boxy' part. Since it was facing upwards, and I didn't want to spend another $15 for a rubber boot, it was a bit of "good enough" for me.

Good luck. You can do it!

Edit: For removal, there was no technique which didn't involve outright cutting the boot off when I did mine (that's why I went through 3 of these bastards). If I were to attempt a clean removal, I'd try starting from the shifter lever assembly and pushing the boot downwards over the pin & clip portion. The rubber is going to be cold, so heat gun if you have it, or slosh on some hot water to warm up the rubber.

Edit 2: I did my installation just having the car parked. All this can be done sitting in the driver's seat with the interior trim removed. Just make sure to use a plastic trim tool as not to break any clips or scratch your interior trim during the removal process.

Last edited by Bready; 06-15-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #14
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchMB View Post
I absolutely hate going on the forums for these cars cause everyone is so useless and doesn’t respond to the questions properly much like some of the other people that commented, like our boi up there talking about a automatic with paddle shifters.
If I wanted paddle shifters I’d fucking talk about them. :/
Sorry just trying to help.
But seriously this is not by any means "excessive play". It's normal. In fact the FR-S has one of the tightest shifters on the market. At least the OEM shifter does. I don't know about these aftermarket short shifters. I mean really....the stock shift throw is not short enough for you? To me it's kinda like buying an aftermarket CAI. What the stock intake isn't cold enough for you?
But anyway, if you really want as little play in the shifter as possible maybe you should have something like this machined for you.
Attached Images

WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote