follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2022, 02:37 PM   #1639
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Oh yeah, I see. Youíd have to increase size to be able to radius those edges. May be worth trying. Kind of the reason I donít carry my ridge wallet anymore. Itís too square and makes it awkward in my pocket.
If your wallet is the biggest thing you got in your pocket you've got bigger (smaller) problems.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #1640
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 11,322 Times in 5,099 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
If your wallet is the biggest thing you got in your pocket you've got bigger (smaller) problems.

Well I am half Asian I also prefer appendix carry.

Besides knife and pens I prefer not to carry anything in my pockets. Even wallet or cell phone is usually only there long enough to get them to a place to store them.
2020BRZtS (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #1641
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Well, if you want it even smaller...

You could always design a more compact PCB, have someone print it, and transfer all the important bits over to the new one.

Or cut the current PCB in half, add jumper cables between the two halves, then just have buttons on both faces.

That would be needlessly excessive. I like it.
bcj (05-25-2022), soundman98 (05-24-2022), Spuds (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 03:50 PM   #1642
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,594 Times in 1,552 Posts
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You use a shorter dummy cabinet above the range and duct through it into the attic then out a vent. You are supposed to vent gas ranges at 24-30Ē above the range surface.
Yeah, an 8"+ vent pipe through a cabinet kinda negates the value - especially because the height of the hood capture area matters - 18" can work... but on an 8' ceiling unless your cabs go to the ceiling that leaves previous little room for a cabinet anyway.

I know what you're "supposed" do do. I also have reviewed data on how effective that actually is... of course at the moment I have a "hood" which is so far below "barely adequate" that it's not funny. It can't even keep up with boiling water on a single burner...
Old 05-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #1643
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Yeah, an 8"+ vent pipe through a cabinet kinda negates the value - especially because the height of the hood capture area matters - 18" can work... but on an 8' ceiling unless your cabs go to the ceiling that leaves previous little room for a cabinet anyway.

I know what you're "supposed" do do. I also have reviewed data on how effective that actually is... of course at the moment I have a "hood" which is so far below "barely adequate" that it's not funny. It can't even keep up with boiling water on a single burner...

How much air are you trying to move? I figured 400 cfm was enough for my space. Yeah, the cabinet above becomes a dummy and is just to pass the ducting up into the attic.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:23 PM   #1644
cjd

Garage
Quote:
How much air are you trying to move? I figured 400 cfm was enough for my space. Yeah, the cabinet above becomes a dummy and is just to pass the ducting up into the attic.
It's not really about cfm on its own, it's about capture area. The less capture area, the higher cfm to keep the flume from flowing around the edges of the hood. It also depends what kind of stuff you like to cook, which burners you use, etc. too - you can make a worse hood work if you only use the back burners for stuff that smokes or spits greasy stuff into the air.
Also, the larger your capture area and overall exhaust size, the quieter it can end up being since you need lower cfm overall (and that's what makes the most noise).
I'm not sure what we'll end up with as far stove - probably 6 burners, just not sure what types so 36" min rangetop width but may be wider if I end up using a 24" gas + 15" induction or something. For a 36" range I anticipate a 42"wide x 40" deep hood at 6' maybe bit higher, going up to the ceiling (9') and probably 1200+ cfm remote. Will need make-up air. Might need to go 6" wider each side, so could be a 48" width on a 36" range.

I feel I'm being a little short-tempered, hopefully not just making me be snarky and annoying but apologies if so. I've observed the problems even in our old house where we got a premium hood (it vented straight through the wall and was 24" tall) so have been researching and experimenting (and as noted, current house there is stuff we haven't cooked because it'd be way too bad). Wife is rather sensitive to air quality issues (asthma and similar stuff always does that). Heck, I've now observed a reasonable consistency between air quality (co2 and particulate) and how well I sleep.
Anyhow... I think I'm just ranting-ish now. Carry on. Bummer about the design mistake and you didn't catch it. Hopefully that's the only one.
NoHaveMSG (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 04:38 PM   #1645
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I feel I'm being a little short-tempered, hopefully not just making me be snarky and annoying but apologies if so. I've observed the problems even in our old house where we got a premium hood (it vented straight through the wall and was 24" tall) so have been researching and experimenting (and as noted, current house there is stuff we haven't cooked because it'd be way too bad). Wife is rather sensitive to air quality issues (asthma and similar stuff always does that). Heck, I've now observed a reasonable consistency between air quality (co2 and particulate) and how well I sleep.
Anyhow... I think I'm just ranting-ish now. Carry on. Bummer about the design mistake and you didn't catch it. Hopefully that's the only one.
Not at all. Just trying to figure out where you are coming from. Yeah that makes sense, I kind of painted myself in a corner with my layout only giving me so much space on that wall without omitting the sliding door into the breezeway between the house and shop. My only other option was to put the cooktop in an island and run a downdraft fan. Iím not sure an island will work with the room so I didnít add it but arranged it so I have the option to do so. I actually probably need more in the range of 650-700 cfm with a hood that sticks out as far as I can get away with since I took the wall out between the kitchen and living room.

I actually do a large amount of cooking outside even in the winter. I am stubbing out natural gas into the breezeway with an outlet out there since itís just outside of the kitchen.
soundman98 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 05:37 PM   #1646
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 18,167 Times in 7,989 Posts
Mentioned: 645 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Besides knife and pens I prefer not to carry anything in my pockets. Even wallet or cell phone is usually only there long enough to get them to a place to store them.
Yeah same, I do carry knife, pen & flashlight in my right front pocket. wallet on my right back pocket. Phone... at work, I have it on the stand. If I have to move around, in my left back pocket. RFID & work office key is attached together (flat) and carry that around my left front pocket. Car key & house key, it always stay in my backpack.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:31 PM   #1647
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Not at all. Just trying to figure out where you are coming from. Yeah that makes sense, I kind of painted myself in a corner with my layout only giving me so much space on that wall without omitting the sliding door into the breezeway between the house and shop. My only other option was to put the cooktop in an island and run a downdraft fan. Iím not sure an island will work with the room so I didnít add it but arranged it so I have the option to do so. I actually probably need more in the range of 650-700 cfm with a hood that sticks out as far as I can get away with since I took the wall out between the kitchen and living room.

I actually do a large amount of cooking outside even in the winter. I am stubbing out natural gas into the breezeway with an outlet out there since itís just outside of the kitchen.

Kitchen compromises are *hard*. I might have a workable solution with a couple things I'd have preferred avoid, but... those being sink in an island, and fridge adjacent to wall ovens. Technically this will be an L shaped galley, and only circumstantially a kitchen with an island, but... also, to get around the island on one side you go down two steps and around... but I think it gets me everything I want, so.

Anyway, this might be an interesting read if you have time to shuffle some things a little... Might end up at least ditching *any* cabinet and just going with a taller hood. Enjoy the results, regardless.
NoHaveMSG (05-24-2022), soundman98 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:16 PM   #1648
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,355 Times in 4,807 Posts
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
MT > AT

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-24-2022), Teseo (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:19 PM   #1649
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Kitchen compromises are *hard*. I might have a workable solution with a couple things I'd have preferred avoid, but... those being sink in an island, and fridge adjacent to wall ovens. Technically this will be an L shaped galley, and only circumstantially a kitchen with an island, but... also, to get around the island on one side you go down two steps and around... but I think it gets me everything I want, so.

Anyway, this might be an interesting read if you have time to shuffle some things a little... Might end up at least ditching *any* cabinet and just going with a taller hood. Enjoy the results, regardless.

Where I really screwed up is wanting an open floor plan. The kitchen was tight and I removed the wall between the kitchen and living room. While I got my open space, I also lost a wall to put furniture against and cabinets in the kitchen and the way the rest of the living room is laid out really limits where I can put things. In hindsight I should have taken a 1/3 wall back. It still would have opened up the space but left me with wall to work with. Oh well, live and learn.
cjd (05-24-2022), soundman98 (05-24-2022), Ultramaroon (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:31 PM   #1650
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,554 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hope Government throw more covid incentive to start a garage build
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:25 PM   #1651
Ultramaroon
alternative member

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 31,988 Times in 16,830 Posts
Mentioned: 1048 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
MT > AT
Old 05-24-2022, 11:58 PM   #1652
soundman98
idealized boredom

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 10,861 Times in 5,448 Posts
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Where would it vent if there's a cabinet at all? Home rated hoods are, at best, barely adequate - and that's at 24" depth and 6" wider than the stove, as low as it can go, and properly venting outside with good flow rate.
Also fridge to prep,not stove... Island with a prep sink could do.
I can't even find a GC yet to try to start the project to fix our kitchen. At least you have a cabinet guy?
not cheap, but i'd highly recommend romar cabinets. top quality work, and their staff has always been on point whenever i've got a question. the only gc i'd recommend has been booked at least 2 years out since january...

fyi, oakbrook is requiring any hood over 600cfm to have a make-up air intake into the room... we've been doing a lot of 700-1,000cfm units

Quote:
Not at all. Just trying to figure out where you are coming from. Yeah that makes sense, I kind of painted myself in a corner with my layout only giving me so much space on that wall without omitting the sliding door into the breezeway between the house and shop. My only other option was to put the cooktop in an island and run a downdraft fan. I’m not sure an island will work with the room so I didn’t add it but arranged it so I have the option to do so. I actually probably need more in the range of 650-700 cfm with a hood that sticks out as far as I can get away with since I took the wall out between the kitchen and living room.

I actually do a large amount of cooking outside even in the winter. I am stubbing out natural gas into the breezeway with an outlet out there since it’s just outside of the kitchen.
i'd love to see a room layout of what you've got!
cjd (05-25-2022)

Tags
baby kitty, have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, the search for more money