follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2022, 05:26 PM   #323
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
So......

I have to say that this video is beginning to change my mind a bit. The rear 3/4 views are great. I love the interior, although maybe a little over the top on the color coordination.

And when they show the front 3/4 view at actual people height, its ALMOST OK. Still the grill is too tall and the bottom corners are too much plastic.

I think if they managed to design so that front grill was either the top or bottom half and then extended to the ends, I would have liked it better.

The detailed mechanical overview in this video provided great detail without the hype.

Very well done.
Have zero issues with the shape or size of the grill in fact I rather like it. It is just those huge open blank spaces on either side begging to have something in them. It is like they saw the gapping maws of the new twins and said "OH HELL NO JUST LEAVE THEM EMPTY"
No doubt the aftermarket will come up with some fogs or vents or at least trim to fill them in.

What I am overjoyed to see is that they reduced the size, flush mounted and used the body colour on the door handles. Those were one of the things that put me off buying back when I was shopping around. Door handles should not be the first thing that draws your eye.
Dadhawk (05-17-2022), Nails (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 05:47 PM   #324
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure how accurate their observations were, but assuming it's true, I really liked that they've mentioned stability during sliding at 30:36, this is something a lot of modern cars lack of and being overly twitchy in drifting, while the new Z is very stable in drifting and easily maintains angle. Looks like this Nissan's feature carried over to the new Z, which is great. Another very good point they mentioned is a very good front end grip, they even said that it's better than on Supra. Again, not sure how true that is, but from looking at the video, it's quite believable. Of course I'd love to test it myself.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur-A For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 08:38 PM   #325
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Have zero issues with the shape or size of the grill in fact I rather like it. It is just those huge open blank spaces on either side begging to have something in them. .
Maybe that's it, the corners aren't balanced with the grill opening. Still, no other Z has needed anywhere near that size, and the middle third is the bumper guard so doesn't function as a grill anyway.

I agree with you on the handles though. I saw a high end car this weekend that had bright chrome on the door handles and that was all you could see. The days of chrome have passed us by I believe.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #326
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Maybe that's it, the corners aren't balanced with the grill opening. Still, no other Z has needed anywhere near that size, and the middle third is the bumper guard so doesn't function as a grill anyway.

I agree with you on the handles though. I saw a high end car this weekend that had bright chrome on the door handles and that was all you could see. The days of chrome have passed us by I believe.
The chrome, size and high location all add up to "LOOK AT ME I OPEN THE DOORS"

Dadhawk (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:48 PM   #327
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Nissan Z Hoonage

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/th...es-skids.1166/

gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:35 PM   #328
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
So they went from viscous to haldex? Even though its stated in every publication to be "mechanical"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
Where's the info about the haldex diff? I checked out couple of sources and they say the new Z will have clutch type diff.

Nissan's viscous diffs are not great, for sure. And yeah, active might be better compared to the viscous type.

But still, nothing beats proper mechanical (as in clutch or helical) diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
When OEMs say clutch diff, they mean an active diff with an actuated clutch pack. No manufacturer will put an aftermarket style clutch LSD in a factory road car.
Quote:
Well, if the clutch pack is actuated by a solenoid and in the end the diff locks properly - who cares if it's not 100 mechanical?
And if it's not good, just throw it out, buy Cuso, Kaaz, OS Giken, etc diff and enjoy.
What the Savagegeese video at 19:55. They say they went to a clutch type diff aka Haldex. They say why too, and it was because the old viscous diff would overheat and go open.

Pretty sure the "Active" part of the Supra and M diff isn't just that it is a Haldex system, but that they use multiple vehicle sensor imputs to activate the LSD before traction is ever lost. It entirely possible the Nissan uses an active diff too, but I haven't seen anything, and I am sure Savagegeese would have said something more if they did. Their technical breakdowns are pretty detailed.

https://www.carbibles.com/2023-nissa...od-brakes/?amp

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 05-18-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:31 AM   #329
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
... Another very good point they mentioned is a very good front end grip, they even said that it's better than on Supra. Again, not sure how true that is, but from looking at the video, it's quite believable. Of course I'd love to test it myself.

Well yeah, the GR Supra has a horrible factory alignment. Mismatched camber and toe is very common to be found on them off the boat.

I'm pretty sure a day-one tech at GoodYear could do better.

Add in the active diff's occasional weirdness, staggered tires and bump steer issues early adopter encountered, and your up for a white knuckle track day and one twitchy rear!

A real easy fix but, an eye opener comming out of an 86.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 12:55 AM   #330
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/th...e-review.1146/

gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:17 AM   #331
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Pretty sure the "Active" part of the Supra and M diff isn't just that it is a Haldex system, but that they use multiple vehicle sensor imputs to activate the LSD before traction is ever lost.
Thanks, but no thanks. Don't want that electronic sensor crap anywhere near my car.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur-A For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-18-2022), WolfpackS2k (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 08:33 AM   #332
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks, but no thanks. Don't want that electronic sensor crap anywhere near my car.
Unfortunately there will always be electronic sensor crap with a Haldex system. The difference is whether it engages after traction is already lost (using less sensors and less algorithms) or it engages before traction is lost (using more sensors and more algorithms) aka active. Active diffs and torque vectoring diffs will out perform a basic haldex diff. They probably feel better than a basic diff that tries to use individual wheel braking or anything else to control vectoring or whatever using the ESC system.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #333
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
IMO they should have gone for a helical diff like the twins. It’s the perfect compromise for a street car. It’s simple, you get predictable lockup, and there’s no clutch packs to wear out, special friction modifiers needed or electronics to go wrong.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #334
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
IMO helical diffs aren't the best. They tend to be overly locked under light load, but will open up if one of the rears is sufficiently unloaded. I've found a light-preload clutch-type with ramps that progressively lock more with more applied torque to be both less intrusive on the street and to provide more consistent lockup during hard cornering over curbs at the track.

The worn T2R in my LS3 FD would go through lock/unlock/lock cycles trying to put power down at corner exits at the track, very unnerving... Replaced it with an OSGiken ramp/clutch and it was a world of difference!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #335
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
IMO helical diffs aren't the best. They tend to be overly locked under light load, but will open up if one of the rears is sufficiently unloaded. I've found a light-preload clutch-type with ramps that progressively lock more with more applied torque to be both less intrusive on the street and to provide more consistent lockup during hard cornering over curbs at the track.

The worn T2R in my LS3 FD would go through lock/unlock/lock cycles trying to put power down at corner exits at the track, very unnerving... Replaced it with an OSGiken ramp/clutch and it was a world of difference!

To be fair, I didn’t say they were the best. I said they were in my opinion the perfect compromise for a streetcar. No manufacturer would put a clutch type diff in a factory car because normal people would crash.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:48 AM   #336
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
To be fair, I didn’t say they were the best. I said they were in my opinion the perfect compromise for a streetcar. No manufacturer would put a clutch type diff in a factory car because normal people would crash.
???
In my experience a mild-preload clutch-type acts a lot more linearly and with less cycling between full-lock/full-open behavior vs. helicals. Helical in my S2000 and in my BRZ act fully locked under very low speed parking maneuvering with a lot of steering angle, then would radically go from 100% to 0% during such maneuvers when one of the rears unloaded as when pulling into a ramped drive. Clutch types I've run would be seamless and operate unobtrusively in the same situation.

There's nothing about the operation of a minimal-preload clutch-type that should cause anyone to crash. If anything I've found them to act more consistently at the limit vs. helical.

Last edited by ZDan; 05-18-2022 at 12:25 PM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote