follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 09-06-2020, 11:22 PM   #3851
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks @AKITA . I think the hose on the passenger side that connects to SC is molded, I think at a 90 degree angle right by the supercharger connection. Are the provided hoses flexible enough to make that turn? Does that entire Edelbrock hose just get discarded?
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #3852
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Thanks @AKITA . I think the hose on the passenger side that connects to SC is molded, I think at a 90 degree angle right by the supercharger connection. Are the provided hoses flexible enough to make that turn? Does that entire Edelbrock hose just get discarded?
No... the passenger Radium used 3/8 hose like the one that comes in the Edel kit (driver side uses 1/2 inch which is the same in the Radium kit) .. Like I said it requires some planning and trimming to fit. So from the SC using the Edelbrock hose, cut and use a barbed coupler (you can securewith black plastic zip ties if nothing else) then run to can. I originally said disconnect from SC which I would still do after I measured to do the trimming and fitting the coupler then reconnect after assembly. This would be the return. I would probably do the same for the PCV to can.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AKITA For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #3853
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITA View Post
No... the passenger Radium used 3/8 hose like the one that comes in the Edel kit (driver side uses 1/2 inch which is the same in the Radium kit) .. Like I said it requires some planning and trimming to fit. So from the SC using the Edelbrock hose, cut and use a barbed coupler (you can securewith black plastic zip ties if nothing else) then run to can. I originally said disconnect from SC which I would still do after I measured to do the trimming and fitting the coupler then reconnect after assembly. This would be the return. I would probably do the same for the PCV to can.
Oh ok. So you are saying reuse both the LH PCV (51-4247) and RH PCV (51-4246) I'm their entirety, just splice both to insert catch can in line with them?

It just seems tough to disconnect the RH side (passenger) because getting in there with all the harnesses/ supercharger in the way will be tough with big hands.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #3854
AKITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Oh ok. So you are saying reuse both the LH PCV (51-4247) and RH PCV (51-4246) I'm their entirety, just splice both to insert catch can in line with them?

It just seems tough to disconnect the RH side (passenger) because getting in there with all the harnesses/ supercharger in the way will be tough with big hands.
I sent a pm.. but yeah if they're too big and you might have to anyway.. remove air intake and maybe throttle body.. if so ugh.. changes my opinion maybe a little when you should do this.. because I did redo all my hoses before putting the air intake on.. but still doable. just a little more PTA like everything else
BR-ZED (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #3855
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Alright so I've recently started having really bad idle problems with my car so much so the car is practically stalling at lights. The car can't hold constant rpm's under load either. So if I try to load the engine to say 2500 rpm in neutral the rpms will bounce around from 2000 rpm to 2500 rpm. My engine is pretty old having 160k miles with about 7k of them being boosted. Tune is fine considering I've put 7k miles on it without issue until now. Car is tuned to run on 93 pump gas and I have a full exhaust system including headers.

I'm thinking my engine is starting to lose compression due to the added stress and its age. What do you guys think? I don't think I have any Vacuum leaks but its on my list of things to check come the weekend.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #3856
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Alright so I've recently started having really bad idle problems with my car so much so the car is practically stalling at lights. The car can't hold constant rpm's under load either. So if I try to load the engine to say 2500 rpm in neutral the rpms will bounce around from 2000 rpm to 2500 rpm. My engine is pretty old having 160k miles with about 7k of them being boosted. Tune is fine considering I've put 7k miles on it without issue until now. Car is tuned to run on 93 pump gas and I have a full exhaust system including headers.

I'm thinking my engine is starting to lose compression due to the added stress and its age. What do you guys think? I don't think I have any Vacuum leaks but its on my list of things to check come the weekend.
Check the dreaded bypass valve. Pinch the hose on the back of the supercharger. That would be the first suggestion overall.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad1723 For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #3857
brandonblt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
Check the dreaded bypass valve. Pinch the hose on the back of the supercharger. That would be the first suggestion overall.

I have the latest Edelbrock kit from Edelbrock themselves. Wasn't that fixed when they upgraded the kits? I'll still give it a shot though.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #3858
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Comes with a new bypass? Did you verify?

Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #3859
brandonblt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
Comes with a new bypass? Did you verify?

Yup I checked it. It came with the new one. I tested it anyway just squeezing it seemed fine no loss of pressure.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #3860
AKITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Yup I checked it. It came with the new one. I tested it anyway just squeezing it seemed fine no loss of pressure.
Let's do a check list

Fuel Injectors: after the BO valve verify, this is my first place to look @160k then changing tune and require them to spew more fuel than they've done for 150k miles.. could be drippy dirty injectors. (easy fix)

Spark plugs and Coil Packs: would have changed those before SC install , but if either have significant wear.. could be (PTA)

Air filter: shouldn't be that unless it's leaking somewhere but doubt it if no initial issues which you didn't have for 7k

PCV valve:... sticky?? 160k miles on it?.. that's gonna be a really PTA to change now. I would isolate to test by pulling and plugging at the SC .

EGR valve: the one that gets modded.. pulled off the OEM manifold.. could be but not likely if it's doing right at start up.. plus a faulty one I'd think would trigger a code.

Head Gasket: doubt that's it for jumpy idle (dye test rule that out but hopefully not)

Fuel pumps : could be but the demand on them shouldn't have changed much.

MAF sensor: dirty or not seated well.. both? MAF sensor cleaner!

O2 sensors: yeah check those( but again, I would hope significant failure would cause a code).. after the above

All that good? compression test

somewhere in all the above a problem will be found I would think.. hopefully it's not the compression test
brandonblt2 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #3861
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Do you have a Dbox?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #3862
brandonblt2

Quote:
Let's do a check list

Fuel Injectors: after the BO valve verify, this is my first place to look @160k then changing tune and require them to spew more fuel than they've done for 150k miles.. could be drippy dirty injectors. (easy fix)
Ok how would I go about testing these? I would just visually check for clogs?

Quote:
Spark plugs and Coil Packs: would have changed those before SC install , but if either have significant wear.. could be (PTA)
Changed the spark plugs before I installed the SC. I didn't change the coil packs since the rubber boots seemed to be in good condition and they're expensive. I'll recheck them to see if any damage has occurred.

Quote:
Air filter: shouldn't be that unless it's leaking somewhere but doubt it if no initial issues which you didn't have for 7k
Air Filter is clean South Jersey air is pretty good and I don't drive on dirty roads.

Quote:
PCV valve:... sticky?? 160k miles on it?.. that's gonna be a really PTA to change now. I would isolate to test by pulling and plugging at the SC.
This could be it also. Car runs extremely rough on startup some times then it smooths out and gets better as I drive. I've seen people recommend the WRX PCV because we are boosted. Is this worth an upgrade or is oem fine?

Quote:
EGR valve: the one that gets modded.. pulled off the OEM manifold.. could be but not likely if it's doing right at start up.. plus a faulty one I'd think would trigger a code.

Head Gasket: doubt that's it for jumpy idle (dye test rule that out but hopefully not)
I haven't noticed any coolant disappearing. But I'll do the engine block leak test since it seems simple enough

Quote:
Fuel pumps : could be but the demand on them shouldn't have changed much.
I have let my fuel run low before to actually having it trigger a CEL. But that was years ago. I imagine my fuel pump may be struggling a little bit now.

Quote:
MAF sensor: dirty or not seated well.. both? MAF sensor cleaner!

O2 sensors: yeah check those( but again, I would hope significant failure would cause a code).. after the above

All that good? compression test

somewhere in all the above a problem will be found I would think.. hopefully it's not the compression test
I cleaned the MAF Sensor while installing the SC. I'll still double check it tho. Thanks for the list I'll try to run through most these to narrow down whats going on.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #3863
brandonblt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Do you have a Dbox?

Nope. I was thinking of getting one tho. But with the rough idle and weird power loss problems I don't think it would help my situation.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #3864
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I would not, just wondering if you did because the harness for the Dbox goes to the MAP sensor and people have had issues with it.

Can you get a log?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote