follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #1093
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
I'll be helping install this kit for a friend next weekend, and was wondering from those that have done the install....

Do you think its possible to connect the coolant lines to the unit before setting it down on the block, and with 3 people carefully guiding everything down?
you could try.

I didnt do what you mentioned and connected the lines when the unit was already mounted to the block. As long as you have a helping hand and some pliers, you wont have a problem with those coolant lines with the unit already mounted to the block.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #1094
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j123ic View Post
For those of you with idle / drivability issues, check your fuel injectors. They are directional and should only be installed at a fixed clocked position. There's a tab on the fuel rail that aligns with the fuel injector connectors.

If it's not clocked in the correct direction, the fuel spray will be facing the wrong direction and may hit the walls of the runner instead of the center of the valve.
To add to that, many of the aftermarket injectors that the E85 guys are running have short tips and don't reach down far enough into the intake runners. It makes no sense when your fuel is just being injected into the side of a wall and dripping down into the port with those short injectors.

When I inevitably boost mine it will be with the new Bosch 870cc Injectors

They come the correct length with the extended tip like the factory injectors so the fuel is delivered correctly into the port.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 03-30-2016 at 10:33 AM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
86fun (03-30-2016), BigFatFlip (03-30-2016), Boofneenee (03-31-2016), Carlos_M (08-29-2016), clayrush (03-30-2016), CxG (04-01-2016), Luftwaffel (03-31-2016), Nitro22 (04-06-2016), Sargy (03-31-2016), shr133 (05-09-2019)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #1095
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
To add to that, many of the aftermarket injectors on the market that the E85 guys are running have short tips and don't reach down far enough into the intake runners. It makes no sense when your fuel is just being injected into the side of a wall and dripping down into the port with those short injectors.

When I inevitably boost mine it will be with the new Bosch 870cc Injectors

They come the correct length with the extended tip like the factory injectors so the fuel is delivered correctly into the port.

This is good advice. During my install I found I could not connect the electrical connector to one of my injectors and found that the tab alignment was off, but it's possible you could also have misaligned and still be able to plug it in, I got lucky in that regard.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #1096
Courier6

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release 1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'll be helping install this kit for a friend next weekend, and was wondering from those that have done the install....

Do you think its possible to connect the coolant lines to the unit before setting it down on the block, and with 3 people carefully guiding everything down?

We had mine on jack stands. It took 3 people to carefully set it in while the front of the car was elevated and it took some finessing. We connected the lines after and it was a challenging task, but I think trying to set it in with the lines connected might be even more challenging and frustrating. It also doesn't help that the ears on the clamps they include are spaced so far apart, getting a grip on them in that cramped space seems impossible. We managed to do it, though and unfortunately, I can't remember how. I think we had one person hold the clamp open on one side of the car while the other person attached the hose. Once it was attached (lubed with spit- hey, it works!), the clamp was released onto the hose. At one point, we tried positioning the clamp on the fitting side and holding it so the hose can slide into place and through the clamp. I think that's what we ended up doing.
Courier6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:49 AM   #1097
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
@Cockatoo - I just did mine a couple weeks ago... I was thinking this would actually be easier. Connecting the coolant lines after manifold placement is a motherfucker. There's no good way to do it and anyone that says there is might just be full of shit. There's no harm in trying it, to be honest. Angle the clamps down and rearward so they don't clip the trim and make sure you have the electrical wiring out of the way beforehand if possible. We zip tied some of the wiring out of the way so we would only have to nudge it around when we placed the manifold, then clipped the zip ties after. Took two of us to do it, and it's one of only maybe two things you need two people for.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:58 AM   #1098
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Can anyone provide a log of some milling around town on a good tune?

CARB/non-CARB doesn't matter.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:37 AM   #1099
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
Can anyone provide a log of some milling around town on a good tune?

CARB/non-CARB doesn't matter.
Here's a short snipet I have lying around. I'm on the CARB tune and don't seem to have any issues (other than the VERY slight hesitation on partial throttle, but I have since gotten used to it)

http://datazap.me/u/bigfatflip/16021...m?log=0&data=6

PM me if you need a longer log, I have the original but only uploaded a small section since datazap has a limit on the amount you can upload.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #1100
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

3? You mean 4?
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spicyricecake For This Useful Post:
Cockatoo (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #1101
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yes. You can attach the driver side coolant line before setting the supercharger down. Just make sure the clamp is facing up and slightly towards the supercharger, as it will be a tight fit with the cowling.

Also, 3 people will be plenty to guide the supercharger down.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
Luftwaffel (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #1102
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Can anybody that is running a Radium catch can (PCV) with this kit confirm weather or not the hoses that come with it reach the supercharger? Or does the one hose have to be extended?
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #1103
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can anybody that is running a Radium catch can (PCV) with this kit confirm weather or not the hoses that come with it reach the supercharger? Or does the one hose have to be extended?
It will reach; we've done the dual setup using the provided lines.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Carlos_M (08-29-2016), Cockatoo (04-04-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:05 AM   #1104
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
So I thought my fuel trims were batshit crazy, but it looks like Big's fuel trims are batshit crazy too.

I have insane afterfire on downshifts. On a completely unrelated topic, people don't seem to be following me closely anymore.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #1105
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
So I thought my fuel trims were batshit crazy, but it looks like Big's fuel trims are batshit crazy too.

I have insane afterfire on downshifts. On a completely unrelated topic, people don't seem to be following me closely anymore.
Hmmm interesting. For what it's worth, I've had Edelbrock look at my logs before for some other thing and they didn't mention anything about the fuel trims. On the other hand, they may think it's normal since its their tune
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #1106
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Just gonna trow this out and see if anyone might have some insight .

I have had the delitious flex kit on for over a year befor the charger, with zero issues. Even when it was freezing outside. After we installed the kit we were having issues when rolling to a stop. The car would either die or the rpm would seek up and down by 2.5k rpm. Only way to get it to stop was to gas it a bit. We do have a a lightened flywheel. But the heavier of the 2 from act. At first we thought it may have been contributing to the problem.

We met up with bill when he was in the bay area. He worked on it a bit and gave us a hybrid tune. It fixed the idle and stalling issues. But now when the car first starts up / cold start, it dies right away and takes anywhere from 3 to 6 times to fire up. When it does it sits at a very low rpm nearly choking out, then it smoothes out after 30 seconds or so.

We have sent delicious several logs and did smoke testing. we do not seem to have any vacuum leaks.

I dont know if the orientation of my dw700 injectors makes any difference or not. According to the app our E content is around 80-84. I tryed blending a little 91 and got to about e55. Next step is to run out the e85 and try just 91 oct.

For some reason I feel like the car is not getting enough power from the battery / alternator durring start up. I have no real basis for feeling like that, I just do. part of me feels like the intercooler water pump running during start up does not help. Once again just an odd feeling.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote