follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
AldoRaine

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JDL Turbo Kit Miscellaneous Questions

Hello to all!
I’ve just recently placed an order for a JDL turbo kit, and the following is a list of the options I’ve selected

GT2860RS turbo
UEL manifold
Open dump
2.5 downpipe flange
Black coating on hot parts
Standard intercooler
JDL bash bar
Omni 3 bar
Pre welded pan

I also plan on running a JDL oil cooler, and a dual radium catch can setup

I’ve been communicating with a shop for a little while now about installation, and I just recently got a quote for installation and dynotuning.

Don’t really feel like breaking down the quote as I feel it’s kinda private but I will say for installation of the turbo kit, the oil cooler, and the catch can setup, and also the ecutek pro with Bluetooth dongle, and dynotuning, it came to 3915 after tax.

This is a lot of money and I can see why, it doesn’t seem like a BAD deal but I’m also not trying to spend this much. If I purchased the ecutek items myself it’d be ~$3,200. But overall it’s the same amount. I was wondering if there’s any more cost effective way of doing this? I just don’t feel I have the resources/time available to complete this. I know people who MAY have the tools necessary to complete the job, but seeing as I’ve never installed this kit before, I’d feel much more confident having professionals do it for me.

Any thoughts on where I could make this a bit more cost effective? I’ll make some money back from selling the headers I have right now and the OFT I have, but that’s only gonna help a little really. I’m excited to do this but I’d like to know from you guys who have been through this already what’s the best way to do this? I’m not a huge fan of E-tuning I always told myself I’d get it dynotuned and installed professionally, installing the turbo kit itself without dyno tuning and without the oil cooler or catch can installation was a little under ~$2,000. That’s very doable, just the overall total makes it tough. The pennies add up. I understand this is an expensive thing to move to forced induction, especially turbo, but I’d be a fool to not seek any way to save a dollar here and there by asking those who’ve already been through this.

Thanks so much to you guys who help me out.

Ps here’s a final list I’ve made of a rough cost of everything I could get done if I carry it out as planned

Turbo kit 4,200
Oil cooler 670
Catch can setup 400
Installation, dynotuning, ecutek 3,915

$9,185

Not to mention if/when my clutch starts to slip
AldoRaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AldoRaine For This Useful Post:
Mike_ZN6 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Without knowing what is involved in the installation, there's no way to gauge if it's low, high, or fair.

For example, the GReddy T518Z kit on my car has a similar install. Installation of the kit itself, is about 8-10 hours. But, with all the supporting mods that went on with my kit, it's really about 30 hours.

Based on your parts list, you have a pretty bare-bones setup.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...2&postcount=20

Zero issues with e-tuning, with the right tuner. The current calibration on my car was made with zero dyno time, although hundreds of dyno hours went into the development of it.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
Tonrogs

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I wouldn't be scared of etune at all. CSG has a fantastic tuner or HRI also does an excellent job. I use HRI myself.
You bought the prewelded pan, so everything is basically bolt-on now. I would shop around a bit if I were you or ask that shop that quoted that what you are all getting at that price.
My opinion is that seems awfully high, but doing things right takes time.
'14 SWP BRZ 6MT | FBM built 9:1cr engine w/ GTX3076R Turbo | Mazworx CD009 trans swap | EcuTek | Jackson Racing Dual Oil Cooler/Radiator | SPAL fans | JDL 3" Dual Resonated OP/FP | Perrin 3" | Radium Dual Cans | 18" Rota Titans | M85 3.73 diff | DSS 1k axles | And more....too much more....ugh.
Tonrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldoRaine View Post
Hello to all!

I’ve just recently placed an order for a JDL turbo kit, and the following is a list of the options I’ve selected

GT2860RS turbo

UEL manifold

Open dump

2.5 downpipe flange

Black coating on hot parts

Standard intercooler

JDL bash bar

Omni 3 bar

Pre welded pan

I also plan on running a JDL oil cooler, and a dual radium catch can setup

I’ve been communicating with a shop for a little while now about installation, and I just recently got a quote for installation and dynotuning.

Don’t really feel like breaking down the quote as I feel it’s kinda private but I will say for installation of the turbo kit, the oil cooler, and the catch can setup, and also the ecutek pro with Bluetooth dongle, and dynotuning, it came to 3915 after tax.

This is a lot of money and I can see why, it doesn’t seem like a BAD deal but I’m also not trying to spend this much. If I purchased the ecutek items myself it’d be ~$3,200. But overall it’s the same amount. I was wondering if there’s any more cost effective way of doing this? I just don’t feel I have the resources/time available to complete this. I know people who MAY have the tools necessary to complete the job, but seeing as I’ve never installed this kit before, I’d feel much more confident having professionals do it for me.

Any thoughts on where I could make this a bit more cost effective? I’ll make some money back from selling the headers I have right now and the OFT I have, but that’s only gonna help a little really. I’m excited to do this but I’d like to know from you guys who have been through this already what’s the best way to do this? I’m not a huge fan of E-tuning I always told myself I’d get it dynotuned and installed professionally, installing the turbo kit itself without dyno tuning and without the oil cooler or catch can installation was a little under ~$2,000. That’s very doable, just the overall total makes it tough. The pennies add up. I understand this is an expensive thing to move to forced induction, especially turbo, but I’d be a fool to not seek any way to save a dollar here and there by asking those who’ve already been through this.

Thanks so much to you guys who help me out.

Ps here’s a final list I’ve made of a rough cost of everything I could get done if I carry it out as planned

Turbo kit 4,200

Oil cooler 670

Catch can setup 400

$9,185

You could get catch cans used or find a deal online. Someone on facebook is actually selling dual catch cans right now.

Sell if anyone in the JDL turbo kit owners Facebook group is selling a kit. That could save you some one.

Maperformance oil cooler is cheaper $420 or just get a used oil cooler but I understand supporting JDL.

I dont think tuning will be that much. Most places a dyno tune is $500 and you buy the license for $200. Also Etune maybe cheaper.

Get a buddy and knock the install out and put that money towards a clutch. Start buying clutch parts if you're worried. Verus pivot $30, verus shift fork $170
ACT clutch is like $600 or get south bend $700 and run stock flywheel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #5
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
I dont think tuning will be that much. Most places a dyno tune is $500 and you buy the license for $200. Also Etune maybe cheaper.

I think you are being overly optimistic with some of your pricing here. I don't think you can even get a remote FI tune for $500. Also, where can you get an EcuTek license for $200 (seriously, I'm in the market for one)?
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-28-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #6
Mike_ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldoRaine View Post
Turbo kit 4,200
Oil cooler 670
Catch can setup 400

$9,185

I have built a spreadsheet on the actual cost of getting a turbo kit installed/tuned and it ends up being 10-15k depending on the turbo kit and supporting mods. I have contacted 3 different local (and well known online) shops in the DC area and the install cost range is $1,000 to $1,700 for just the install without tune. I would not trust the shop that gave the $1,000 quote after 2 different times they performed questionable work on my car.

Last edited by Mike_ZN6; 05-27-2020 at 11:20 PM.
CSG Mike (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
You could get catch cans used or find a deal online. Someone on facebook is actually selling dual catch cans right now.

Sell if anyone in the JDL turbo kit owners Facebook group is selling a kit. That could save you some one.

Maperformance oil cooler is cheaper $420 or just get a used oil cooler but I understand supporting JDL.

Get a buddy and knock the install out and put that money towards a clutch. Start buying clutch parts if you're worried. Verus pivot $30, verus shift fork $170
ACT clutch is like $600 or get south bend $700 and run stock flywheel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'd recommend the OS Giken clutch over that all day. It costs slightly more, but ***includes*** an upgraded fork, and an upgraded throwout bearing as well as a stainless clutch line.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Joveen (05-28-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
Mike_ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'd recommend the OS Giken clutch over that all day. It costs slightly more, but ***includes*** an upgraded fork, and an upgraded throwout bearing as well as a stainless clutch line.

Aren't OS Giken clutches known for making a loud rattling noise when the clutch pedal is pressed in due to their floating disc design?
Joveen (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
Aren't OS Giken clutches known for making a loud rattling noise when the clutch pedal is pressed in due to their floating disc design?
Rattling yes. Loud? not really. My cooling fans are louder than my clutch by a long shot, as is any reasonable volume of music.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #10
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Rattling yes. Loud? not really. My cooling fans are louder than my clutch by a long shot, as is any reasonable volume of music.
What's the torque rating on the OS giken clutch? I'm assuming you're not referencing their twin disk
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
What's the torque rating on the OS giken clutch? I'm assuming you're not referencing their twin disk
It depends on the configuration, but anywhere from 300 to 430 depending on the choices made.

My OSG is a single and is holding ~360 crank torque without issue. I have a STR variant.
Joveen (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
Mike_ZN6

Quote:

On a race car it may not be that loud, but I don't think I would want that on my DD.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post

On a race car it may not be that loud, but I don't think I would want that on my DD.
Have you heard my car? My exhaust is quieter than stock.

That NSX video depicts the right noise, but not the volume; it's in an enclosed space. Likewise, thats why the exhaust is so loud in the video.

I did some quick sound readings on my BRZ, and the clutch reads at 72dB from *next* to the car. The car also... idles at 72dB. This is with an industrial class 2 sound meter I use to measure cars for Laguna sound limit testing.

*edit*

the engine noise is louder than the clutch noise, but the clutch noise can be heard. The car idles at 61dB from 3 ft behind the car.
Mike_ZN6 (06-01-2020)