follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Lee358

Drives: nissan frontier, DGM MT BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
20+college+work=brz??

Hey guys ive been on the forum for a while and i mean ive been reading what you guys say to alot of the kids on here. A little about myself im 20 years old live in north jersey i work as an emt for a medical transport company i also volunteer as a emt and firefighter. Ive been driving since im 16 ive done a skip barber driving school and since i started driving ive owned a nissan frontier that i am very greatful of my parents for buying it for me. I want to buy a brz i will havE arount 10,000 by the end of the summer what do you guys say to a 20 yr old living at home going to college wanting to buy a $30,000 car (i also drive ambulances and a firetruck almost daily.let the chat begin!
Lee358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
feedbag
Seasoned Spirit

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
feedbag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feedbag For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (06-23-2012), MiguelAE86 (06-22-2012), viper_driver (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee358 View Post
Hey guys ive been on the forum for a while and i mean ive been reading what you guys say to alot of the kids on here. A little about myself im 20 years old live in north jersey i work as an emt for a medical transport company i also volunteer as a emt and firefighter. Ive been driving since im 16 ive done a skip barber driving school and since i started driving ive owned a nissan frontier that i am very greatful of my parents for buying it for me. I want to buy a brz i will havE arount 10,000 by the end of the summer what do you guys say to a 20 yr old living at home going to college wanting to buy a $30,000 car (i also drive ambulances and a firetruck almost daily.let the chat begin!
Do it? Your monthly payment should be 350 or so with 10k down

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Who cares what we think?
If you buy a BRZ are you going to put a big sticker on the side of it, detailing your situation and asking fellow motorists to judge you?

A bunch of us walked up hill to school each way in snow storms, looked after our invalid mother, worked in a coal mine before and after school, still had a 4.0 GPA, graduated with honours, and subsequently went to work for UNICEF saving the worlds children. We all drove rusting 20 year old Geo Metros and were thankful to have them.
No way should you have a BRZ at 20 while living at home!

Does that help? Seriously who cares, buy it, don't buy it. Make a decision YOU'RE comfortable with and move on.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Im 20, and im buying one... and I live on my own. However i guess job standings and your budget is the most important factor. Not so much opinion.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
What I would tell my college age sons (2 of my 3) if they were in your shoes is to buy what you can pay cash for, and then save the car payment you would be paying to the bank to yourself towards your next car.

You don't need the risk associated with a car loan in your life right now.

Then, in two to three years you'll be ready to upgrade to a new/newer car for near/all cash and the insurance won't kill you like it will now.

The first year insurance on the 86 is relatively low because the insurance companies have nothing to base it on. I expect it to be higher year 2 and substantially higher for someone under 25.

That's my advice, and if you were living at home with me, it would be my insistence. If you haven't talked to your parents about it, you should since they are partially or completely funding your choice by letting you live at home.

In the end though, your life, your car, your money, your choice.

Oh, and thanks for the great service you are doing for your community. Who says kids these days aren't great!
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i did it when i bought my 2010 mustang. It's not hard if you are responsible and disciplined
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Who cares what we think?
I understand what you are saying, but I also think it's wise (and shows a level of maturity) that the OP is looking for advice on this. It's a big decision, probably bigger than most any other decision the OP has made to this point.

Even random thoughts from folks on an Internet forum can be helpful as long as you keep the source in prospective.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I understand what you are saying, but I also think it's wise (and shows a level of maturity) that the OP is looking for advice on this. It's a big decision, probably bigger than most any other decision the OP has made to this point.

Even random thoughts from folks on an Internet forum can be helpful as long as you keep the source in prospective.
Agreed but it's really a choice only he can make. I can't even offer an intelligent opinion as I have no idea what his finances are, what his monthly bills are, what his plans for the next few years are, etc..
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm going to say "no, don't do it" - but only based on very limited information I have on your situation. It's actually more your parents' situation I'd be concerned about. College is super expensive. I presume they're paying for it? And they paid for your truck? How about your car and medical insurance? And what about living expenses - are you paying them "rent" and utilities and food money to live there?

Before going out and spending a bunch of money on yourself, I'd look to be giving it to your parents first. Now, if your parents are loaded, driving super expensive new cars, not hurting at all with your tuition payments etc, then they might not even care - so then go for it. Otherwise, put yourself in their shoes - if they've made financial sacrifices for you to be where you're at now, perhaps repaying them would be in your best interest. (and hey, maybe your dad would love a new sportscar since he's been busting his butt working for decades supporting the family?)

Another thing to note - when you graduate college, I presume you'll move out on your own? First month's rent and security deposit could be $2k (depending where you live). And then if you need to buy furniture, some business suits/professional clothes, etc. And it may take you a bit to even find a job. It's not a bad idea to have a stash of money to fall back on in case your income stream were to stop.

Just my 2 cents. Again, limited viewpoint of your life and family.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
WillieRX
Mountain Road Recon

Drives: '06 Subaru WRX TR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I finished college ~1.5 years ago. During my 4.5 years there, i made (what I view) as some poor decisions in terms of large investments, mainly cars. I think it may be best, from my standpoint, is to stay with what you have for the rest of college, plus some. Since you are working and attending school, im sure there are plenty strains and stresses in balancing work vs studies that you are dealing with currently. I don't think that a car note plus additional insurance should be added to that stress, potentially upsetting the work vs studies balance. My recommendation is finish up school, find a secure career in your field of studies and see how your budget is afterwards.

Heck, I will not (or plan not) be buying another car until I finish paying off my WRX, which I was able to get an great loan on I am also 24 and have already began investing a big chunk (roughly 10% for now) of my annual income in retirement savings. I am also saving up for a big trip to Japan coming in 3 years to take my brother there as his graduation gift. I am also saving up for a house to call my own, I am currently renting a house... But want one to call my own.

In the end, its your decision. I am offering my opinion, as I have been there before as well.
WillieRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
dookie11

Drives: Girls crazy with his booty
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbag View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
What dat mean yo?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
Lee358

Drives: nissan frontier, DGM MT BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
I'm going to say "no, don't do it" - but only based on very limited information I have on your situation. It's actually more your parents' situation I'd be concerned about. College is super expensive. I presume they're paying for it? And they paid for your truck? How about your car and medical insurance? And what about living expenses - are you paying them "rent" and utilities and food money to live there?

Before going out and spending a bunch of money on yourself, I'd look to be giving it to your parents first. Now, if your parents are loaded, driving super expensive new cars, not hurting at all with your tuition payments etc, then they might not even care - so then go for it. Otherwise, put yourself in their shoes - if they've made financial sacrifices for you to be where you're at now, perhaps repaying them would be in your best interest. (and hey, maybe your dad would love a new sportscar since he's been busting his butt working for decades supporting the family?)

Another thing to note - when you graduate college, I presume you'll move out on your own? First month's rent and security deposit could be $2k (depending where you live). And then if you need to buy furniture, some business suits/professional clothes, etc. And it may take you a bit to even find a job. It's not a bad idea to have a stash of money to fall back on in case your income stream were to stop.

Just my 2 cents. Again, limited viewpoint of your life and family.
My parents went with me the day i went to put my order in. (my dads toy has one side of the garage my mothers has the other side of the garage)

Thank you for your imput guys. I really like seing all of the sides of this people in my position people that were in my position and people that have a home have setteled down amd are buying this car. That is why i put up this thread its not to find out what people think of me because i really dont care but you have all been through alot in life and have alot of good information that could possibly sway me one way or another.
Lee358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
tdoggy57

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
I'm 19, go to college (albeit community college), and have a full-time job. Living at home, kind of a similar position.

I leased my FR-S. This way, my payments aren't bad now, and in 3 years when I'll hopefully be even more stable, I can make a bigger decision. At this point, I'm just banking the money I would have paid forward on a finance so that if I want to own the car after 3 years, I can just pay the cash and be done with it.
tdoggy57 is offline   Reply With Quote