follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
BWilky

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Cat less headers and NH inspections

I am still in the research phase and planning to purchase one of the twins next spring.

Has there been any issues when you installed a cat less header when getting an inspection, I would imagine it would be an instant fail? Or does having the second cat further back help?

I would prefer a cat less header as they do make more power but also want to not ruin the environment and get one of couple catted headers on the market.

Been leaning towards OFT tune and FT86 Speedfactory catted header as the first mods.

Last edited by BWilky; 07-23-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: add more
BWilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
aschnell

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Probably depends on actual shop doing inspection. I think the issue would be if you have a check engine light (CEL) on when getting inspected. OFT tunes disable the cat efficiency cel so at inspection it shouldn't matter what header you get. Nh doesn't do a tailpipe test today, just check for cel.
The dealer might pick up on the header swap but an independent shop would probably have no idea what stock looks like so as long as there is no cel on the dash it should be fine.
Running catless and probably increasing your emissions is a different story. Cats are relatively expensive and there for a reason, you know the manufacturers wouldn't put them in if they didn't have to. But that being said even an aftermarket high flow cat probably doesn't work as well as stock from an emissions standpoint. But without actually testing that's all conjecture.
So in summation, any header with an OFT should be inspectable, but not really sure if fully legal.
aschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aschnell For This Useful Post:
BWilky (07-28-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
All shops are required to do a visual inspection to see if any emissions equipment has been tampered with. Some shops are more vigilant about this than others. I've had my car failed because I have a lot of stuff done including the header. Then there are some places that just plug in the computer and call it a day. My car doesn't stink though. I do have one cat in the front pipe and run e85 most of the time. Smells good.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
BWilky (09-24-2015)