follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #659
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Yaris, Corolla and Camry, get over the body roll and there's a shocking amount of grip.
I have mentioned before I am surprised by the cornering ability of mum's 2013 Yaris. I am quite impressed by this inexpensive shopping trolley and I like to think I have surprised a few people overtaking them on the outside of roundabouts.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #660
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
They one make race these things in the philippines and thailand

beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #661
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post

Reminds me of this:

Name:  mlbh_200919_172626_0241.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  230.6 KB

70hp (!) of door to door action.
https://www.enduroka.co.uk/

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #662
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

How about another clip?

Old 12-30-2020, 10:52 PM   #663
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

And another.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:18 AM   #664
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Ah, I miss my Vios. Had a lot of people questioning what it was at the time.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:51 PM   #665
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
And another.

Bruh, they gotta stop comparing the Yaris to the CTR honestly. It's clear to me they are for quite different purposes. The Yaris is like a better STi.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (12-31-2020)
Old 01-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #666
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Bruh, they gotta stop comparing the Yaris to the CTR honestly. It's clear to me they are for quite different purposes. The Yaris is like a better STi.
This is a C&P from a post of mine elsewhere:

Evolve/Joe Achilies did a comparison with the GP Pack Mini, which I think is pretty close in appeal/style. They will compare on track eventually, which they suggested that the Mini might be more suited, but the Yaris came out well on the road. Other than that, I guess any other supermini's will be the obvious comparison but all there is are i20N (eventually - also a rally car.... loosely) and the FST. Then you have the 4WD hatches, so then you'd be comparing to A35, M135, Golf R etc but these all seem more grown up, so will attract a different buyer. TBH I think it's real competitors are the CTR Limited (sold out), FST Mountune (it's a tuned Fiesta), Mini GP (no rear seats), Megane Trophy-R (Who spends that on a Megane!?) and that's probably about it.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #667
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
This is a C&P from a post of mine elsewhere:

Evolve/Joe Achilies did a comparison with the GP Pack Mini, which I think is pretty close in appeal/style. They will compare on track eventually, which they suggested that the Mini might be more suited, but the Yaris came out well on the road. Other than that, I guess any other supermini's will be the obvious comparison but all there is are i20N (eventually - also a rally car.... loosely) and the FST. Then you have the 4WD hatches, so then you'd be comparing to A35, M135, Golf R etc but these all seem more grown up, so will attract a different buyer. TBH I think it's real competitors are the CTR Limited (sold out), FST Mountune (it's a tuned Fiesta), Mini GP (no rear seats), Megane Trophy-R (Who spends that on a Megane!?) and that's probably about it.

To you, what makes the CTR a good comparison to the Yaris? Is it because they both are similarily priced hot hatches?

The reason I disconnect them is because of the fact they were developed with different things in mind. The Yaris is literally a rally car built for the street; the only thing that'd make the CTR even farther from the Yaris would be RWD. The CTR is a time trial car, even if the Yaris is faster around a track (it's not I think), this is what the CTR was built as. These comparisons are best to be done with other rally bred cars when in regards to performance if you ask me.

I don't think there is much out there yet, but I'm sure once more people start setting lap times with the Yaris, it will become more apparent that the Yaris isn't meant to set times, it was meant to hoon like a mad man because rally life bro *stustustustustustu* *insert anti lag sounds*. I just think because of how mental the car is and the things it does, everyone has a hard on for it, just like they did for the CTR before it (some people even think the CTR is some sort of drag racing god, IT'S NOT).

The Yaris is a special car, but comparing it to cars that don't make sense, even in favourable conditions is just odd, youtubers are shady cough cough carwow cough, but whatever drives views I guess.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #668
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
To you, what makes the CTR a good comparison to the Yaris? Is it because they both are similarly priced hot hatches?
Yes and I think if you're in the market you would possibly cross-shop the 2. The problem, as you say, is that there are no other cars in either B/C segment that are remotely similar - remember that in Europe we no longer get any fun Subaru models (BRZ exited not long after the WRX/STi) and there are no others out there. CTR and Mini GP are both more lap time setters than the Yaris. Doesn't necessarily make them better on the road, but for around £35k you're really looking at the best drivers hot hatches or the 2nd tier "premium" hot hatches. I'm not sure a comparison needs to be all of the same, if I were in the market for a hatch with that type of cash, comparing a few different ones would be ideal for helping me choose - what's a better DD, track day toy, weekend B-road weapon etc.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #669
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Yes and I think if you're in the market you would possibly cross-shop the 2. The problem, as you say, is that there are no other cars in either B/C segment that are remotely similar - remember that in Europe we no longer get any fun Subaru models (BRZ exited not long after the WRX/STi) and there are no others out there. CTR and Mini GP are both more lap time setters than the Yaris. Doesn't necessarily make them better on the road, but for around £35k you're really looking at the best drivers hot hatches or the 2nd tier "premium" hot hatches. I'm not sure a comparison needs to be all of the same, if I were in the market for a hatch with that type of cash, comparing a few different ones would be ideal for helping me choose - what's a better DD, track day toy, weekend B-road weapon etc.
I completely forgot the STi was taken out of that market.. this is the car I think would best compare that actually exists.

I understand the road testing and comparisons with the CTR, it's just the performance testing that makes no sense. If like you say, you're shopping for a car that can best do all of these things (DD, backroad, track), the AWD car is usually going to come out on top if you have bad enough weather, especially during winter.

The primary goal here seems to be fun, and the amount of hype behind the Yaris supports it greatly in the eastern world. Doing a track test where the CTR then beats it will skew peoples perception of what the car was meant for. Everyone likes to have this idea that one car can do everything, but it just isn't the reality.

Truly the Yaris stands on it's own with no competitors, I think this helps it's popularity greatly. People with access to both these cars should honestly just buy the Yaris, unless someone is hellbent on having a track weapon, I think the Yaris would be more than adequate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, one is an everyday touring car, the other is an everyday rally car. It's kind of similar to CTR vs Golf R, which is another joke... but CTR vs Golf TCR, that's much more interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Kodename47 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #670
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

How is it possible that these things can race?
Arent they like...slower than bicycles?

If the twins are considered underpowered....

Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #671
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
It's not called a Civic Type Time Trial (CTTT). It's called a Civic Type Race man...

Not our fault Honda's watered down management jumped the shark.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #672
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Can't believe this video hasn't been posted...