follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Techfl3x

Drives: Firestorm Red FRS/86 MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Not Recommended) Auto Window Roll Down / Up Cancellation (Risky)

Update: I originally thought the door jam switch could be toggled on or off to control the automatic window roll down feature when opening doors. Upon further investigation, it turns out this is not the case. The door jam switch and the rubber that encapsulates it is actually very sensitive to very minor movements. By me touching/ adjusting the switch sideways (an unnatural movement for it), the switch actually became inoperable. Thus, I was led to believe this was by design, allowing customers to enable or disable the auto windows. I readjusted the entire rubber unit at the base (where the rubber meets the paint), and the auto windows were functional again.

Sorry for the misinformation.

CAUTION: In any case, for those who actually wish to disable the auto windows, proceed at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage this may cause:

Just keep wiggling the base of the rubber door jamb until the windows automatically roll up. In a sense you've tricked the jamb into thinking the door is closed. To undo, just wiggle it again until the windows roll down slightly as if the door was open. You may have to readjust several times to restore the auto windows to normal operation. There was a scary moment in which the auto windows wouldn't roll down when I opened the door. But some readjusting of the rubber unit did the trick. Such a finicky jamb we have!

Door jamb switch

Door jamb switch and rubber unit is quite sensitive. Touching it slightly will cause the windows to roll up and down as if the door was being constantly opened and shut:

Door jamb switch adjusted until windows stop auto lowering:

Last edited by Techfl3x; 06-15-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Techfl3x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Techfl3x For This Useful Post:
Chinadian (06-15-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
That's cool, I guess. Not sure why you would want it disabled except for installing tint though.

Edit: I just tried this on mine and it doesn't toggle off like you are suggesting. When was your car built? Maybe this is a new feature? Mine was built in April last year, for reference.

Edit #2: zoomed in on your top picture and saw it was built in November. If this is really a thing it could be a mid-run feature addition.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
How does the glass clear if it doesn't roll up/down with opening the door? Any issues with catching the rubber?? (just checked mine and it doesn't have the toggle ability. Build date Sept '12)
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Techfl3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
That's cool, I guess. Not sure why you would want it disabled except for installing tint though.

Edit: I just tried this on mine and it doesn't toggle off like you are suggesting. When was your car built? Maybe this is a new feature? Mine was built in April last year, for reference.

Edit #2: zoomed in on your top picture and saw it was built in November. If this is really a thing it could be a mid-run feature addition.
Yea tinting is the main reason for disabling. Hm ill check on the date, think you're right in November. Wonder if this works for others
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Techfl3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
How does the glass clear if it doesn't roll up/down with opening the door? Any issues with catching the rubber??
Nope no issues short term. The glass will still sit in the same place on the rubber whether the auto window is active or not. It's just that over time, the rubber seal will wear out faster if the glass constantly hits it without rolling down that small amount when shutting the door.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
blue cat

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Garage
Asked my dealer specifically if i could do this and they said no, something about cabin pressure seal means they can't disable a safety feature. So does this mean that the window needs to manually be lowered and raised to fit inside the rubber seal? But it can still just close over the top of the rubber? I'll give it a go myself after work.

Ironically the reason i want it disabled, is for reinstalling a tint job that went bad because of the auto up/down
Old 06-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I wonder if this is not a feature, but rather a 'problem' with your car. Maybe the switch has a bit of an issue where by moving it, you're just disconnecting/shorting it out or something? Does your door chime/light come on still when you open the door? (I don't know if these also work on the same switch?)

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Techfl3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
I wonder if this is not a feature, but rather a 'problem' with your car. Maybe the switch has a bit of an issue where by moving it, you're just disconnecting/shorting it out or something? Does your door chime/light come on still when you open the door? (I don't know if these also work on the same switch?)
Hah perhaps it is a problem turned feature for me? No the dome light doesn't turn on when I open the door when it's deactivated/ disconnected/ shorted out. But it's strange because it works on both driver and passenger side doors. If you squeeze down on the rubber door jamb, you can feel the little rod underneath there. By wiggling it, there's no give up and down, but it allows for specific give left and right. Which led me to believe it was by design. Ill gladly label this thread as a defect instead of a DIY in the event that there is an issue. I was just excited that I didn't have to unbolt and disconnect any wires to disable the auto windows after tinting.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Techfl3x

Original post updated. Sorry everyone. This was not actually a feature. Wishful thinking on my part.

The door jamb is actually very sensitive. After moving the jamb, it actually thought my doors were closed. After "jamming" the driver side door jamb, my theory was incorrectly validated when I did the same thing to the passenger side.

Thanks for keeping me in check.