follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
zackegle

Drives: 2013 brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch winning and idle issue with clutch

So recently about a day ago my 2013 brz at 52k miles started making this really loud noise when I clutch in, it's not the common squeak I see around the forum and I don't seem to be able to find anyone else with my issue, what could be wrong?
Here's a video of it:

Update-
Today the clutch is a lot worse now when I clutch in it squeals kinda of like the sound of a belt squeal but I don't think it is, and when I press the clutch in around 1000rpms or less the idles drop and the car dies out stalled at multiple red lights today...
zackegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:15 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Your throw out bearing needs to be thrown out. It is done.
aagun (11-19-2016), humfrz (11-13-2016), jcw99 (11-13-2016), nextcar (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackegle View Post
So recently about a day ago my 2013 brz at 52k miles started making this really loud noise when I clutch in,.............
Hello zackegle and welcome to ...... The Forum ........

Yep, I do believe ol @Tcoat got your car's problem diagnosed properly.

In addition, I would suggest that you have the TOB (release bearing) replaced soon ....... before it freezes up and grinds through the fingers on the pressure plate.

You might as well replace the clutch disk and pressure plate as well as the TOB, while you have it opened up.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
aagun (11-19-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
zackegle

Drives: 2013 brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Darn I was hoping it was something else but I figured I'd run into the tob issue eventually, luckily I still have a warranty that I'm pretty sure should cover the replacement thanks for the help guys!
zackegle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zackegle For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-13-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
neo95

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys seems like I'm having the same issue. As the op showed in the video I've began to notice that on cold starts in the morning same sound. Just these last two nights I began to hear a new loud screeching sound coming from the back the engine and you push the clutch in it goes away. I will post the video and would like to get your feedback if you think it's the TOB gking bad. My car is a 2013 frs with 43k

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
neo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:21 AM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Replace the TOB before it leaves you stranded.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
TOB for sure.

When mine went, it damaged the pressure plate and "fingers" so those needed to be replaced as well. All because I ignored the sound for too long hoping it would go away on it's own.

Get it in ASAP. You might be lucky and have it covered by warranty like I did.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
someone had to point this out
Attached Images

guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Norville Rogers (12-03-2016), SLVRSRFR (11-19-2016), Ultramaroon (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
aagun

Drives: 86
agreed replacing both .

i did the tob . then after 1k . i did clutch disk . ... i keep pressure plate on the car until now with 163k km

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
You might as well replace the clutch disk and pressure plate as well as the TOB, while you have it opened up.

humfrz
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
TOB for sure.

When mine went, it damaged the pressure plate and "fingers" so those needed to be replaced as well. All because I ignored the sound for too long hoping it would go away on it's own.

Get it in ASAP. You might be lucky and have it covered by warranty like I did.
Mine just went out a couple weeks ago. Exact same symptoms, almost exact same miles. Toyota told me it was not covered under warranty, I was a bit disappointed. Ended up taking it to private shop as if I wanted Toyota to proceed, they wouldn't even be able to diagnose it for two weeks.
Throwout bearing was completely toast, when they got it out, metal shards of the race, loose balls rolling around, burnt blue metal. Replaced bearing and clutch.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Mine just went out a couple weeks ago. Exact same symptoms, almost exact same miles. Toyota told me it was not covered under warranty, I was a bit disappointed. Ended up taking it to private shop as if I wanted Toyota to proceed, they wouldn't even be able to diagnose it for two weeks.
Throwout bearing was completely toast, when they got it out, metal shards of the race, loose balls rolling around, burnt blue metal. Replaced bearing and clutch.
I posted this in another thread, but I should disclaim the fact that I am known at the Subaru dealer that I go to. There's a mechanic there that I used to work with, the service advisor always remembers me by name, and the service manager knows me well and has helped me before in getting something covered under warranty that probably should not have been.

Even this time, he said he'd probably have to fight with Subaru a bit to get the claim processed, but he said "that's my problem, not yours". This is how you earn a customer for life.

Luckily my clutch itself was not affected, so I had a new TOB, new clutch fingers, and pressure plate all installed under warranty.

You owe it to yourself to at least ask. I was fully expecting it to not be covered at all, even with these guys who have treated me well in the past. So imagine my surprise and delight when he called me to tell me I didn't have to pay a cent. I was expecting to be staring down the barrel of a $1000+ repair bill.
roddy (12-05-2016), Tcoat (12-05-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
neo95

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
I've taken my car to the dealer on Saturday. They can't reproduce the noise. I show them the multiple videos I have and sent it to their email. The tech looked at the video and knows its coming from the transmission but they need to replicate it. Since I still have power train warranty and they replaced the slave cylinder and master cylinder a few months back I hoping they cover it under warranty. Also I have extended warranty and they are replace the driver door lock actuator and ac blower (clicking). So I left my vehicle there for a few days and hope they can reproduce the sound.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
neo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #13
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
You have a nice service advisor, lucky. I have things that should have been covered under warranty that has not been because they couldn't reproduce the problem. I've since said F it and lived with it. The service advisor told me the throwout was not a warranty item. I didn't want to deal with fighting them on any of these issues and took it to independent shop for clutch job. I'm out $2000, but I have the car running. Toyota just emailed me and told me to bring it in a couple days ago for the appointment, nearly a month after its been fixed already. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
You owe it to yourself to at least ask. I was fully expecting it to not be covered at all, even with these guys who have treated me well in the past. So imagine my surprise and delight when he called me to tell me I didn't have to pay a cent. I was expecting to be staring down the barrel of a $1000+ repair bill.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to root For This Useful Post:
SLVRSRFR (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #14
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norville Rogers View Post
What on earth was this about...?
This is me commenting on the fact that the dealership I go to was more willing to pull some strings to get my repairs covered under warranty because they know me and I'm not just some random customer walking in the door demanding that a wear item be covered under warranty.

Someone walking into a dealership they've never been to before might not be so lucky and might be denied on the spot.

To preface this, the service manager helped me get an all new radio head-unit for my car under warranty a couple of years ago, when it should not have been covered by warranty at all. Long story short I disconnected my battery to do some work to the car, and when I reconnected everything, the head-unit was asking for my security password. I did not receive the password when I bought the car (as it was slightly pre-owned when I got it), and it had been changed from the factory default. Therefore my head-unit was now useless. He said normally I would have to send the unit to Pioneer to reset everything, and it would cost me $150 or so, but he got creative and claimed to them that my CD player was skipping (when it was not), and got me a new head-unit entirely covered by warranty with no out-of-pocket expense for me. So he has helped me in the past when he didn't have to, and did it again with my throw-out bearing repair. Again, probably shouldn't have been covered under warranty, but he got it done.

What was so difficult to understand about that?

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 12-05-2016 at 10:51 AM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote