follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #4369
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
The price is the same as the Tarmac 2's and yes, you have to additional camber plates for those, but if you're spending that much, might as well go all the way for a few hundred more.

That's where I think the SS-1 shine. Good valving, KW build, tophats included, sub $2k price.
Even with the 949 racing top hats which are some of the cheapest around its around 500-600 more for the tarmac 2s.

I felt the SS2 was the perfect sweet spot and includes rear top mounts/ are plug and play. I think those are what really sold me on the SS2 over the SS1
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:03 AM   #4370
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
Even with the 949 racing top hats which are some of the cheapest around its around 500-600 more for the tarmac 2s.

I felt the SS2 was the perfect sweet spot and includes rear top mounts/ are plug and play. I think those are what really sold me on the SS2 over the SS1
Ah, true on the rear tophats. That would be an extra $200 right off the bat as I'd like to keep my Sach's dampers together for when rebuild time comes around.

SS-1's would be $2k starting then.
autoracer86 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 10:34 AM   #4371
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
This is going to be a spicy question, but for an upper-intermediate driver, what do you think the actual autocross run difference would be between going with something like the RCE SuperStreet-1's vs. Tarmac 2's?

Given all other things are equal, such as going with a 245/40/17 A052's on 17x9, having rear lower control arms, same alignment with a good 3-4 degrees up front, same power, etc.

I'm kinda torn with going with an all inclusive SS1 setup with tophats and just getting probably 95% of the same performance vs going all in with a ~$3k+ setup with the Tarmac 2's, separate tophats, etc.

Would I appreciate the Tarmac 2's as I graduate into being a more top level driver? Currently have about 10 years experience, 5 of those being on the competitive end.
It sounds like a set of our new SS2s might be a good fit for you. A bit more focused than SS1 and comes with front and rear top mounts.

For me there's a bigger jump from SS1 to SS2 than SS2 to T2. If you know you're going to end up with serious aero and would then think about experimenting with spring rates, then our T2s or our new SSR coilovers make sense.

But it's a good philosophical question lol.

Personally the SS1s fit me well...I'm less focused on being competitive and I don't run very sticky tires. Me not winning anything isn't going to be because of the suspension I'm on anyway at my level, but for some yes it's pretty important especially with 200 tw tires.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 01:47 PM   #4372
Tomyyyu

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
CSG and RCE tag-team suspension Q&A thread! Ask us anything!

When you folks state life time warranty? What does that cover and for how long?

In addition, what sway bar do you recommend to pair with a new gen BRZ with Tarmac 2s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tomyyyu; 05-15-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Tomyyyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:35 PM   #4373
cueball89

Drives: 23 BRZ 15 Impreza
Quote:
Ah, true on the rear tophats. That would be an extra $200 right off the bat as I'd like to keep my Sach's dampers together for when rebuild time comes around.

SS-1's would be $2k starting then.
Swapping rear top hats isn't a huge deal. You could always get some used oem rear top hats cheap I'd think.

I get the feeling from seeing your posts you autox pretty frequently and it's semi serious for you. I bought SS-1's before the SS-2's came out. I put 7kg springs on to give them a little bit more of an edge and switch the balance to more autox than street. Coilovers are a large purchase, I'd recommend buying what fits for your application and usage instead of saving the difference between the SS-1's and SS-2's. I know it's a good chunk of change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
our new SSR coilovers
I'm impatiently waiting to read a press release on these even though I'm not in the market to purchase anything.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:15 AM   #4374
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomyyyu View Post
When you folks state life time warranty? What does that cover and for how long?

In addition, what sway bar do you recommend to pair with a new gen BRZ with Tarmac 2s?

Our warranty covers defects....if something breaks that shouldn't or a manufacturing mistake. It doesn't cover normal rebuilds. We try to take care of our customers as best we can.

For swaybars, it depends. Stock bars work well for a fun all around street weekend track car. A stiffer front (22mm) is a popular way to go for autox, stiffer front and rear (20/16 or (22/16) for a more focused track car. Depends on other parts of the set up.

- Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (06-13-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 09:16 AM   #4375
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball89 View Post
I'm impatiently waiting to read a press release on these even though I'm not in the market to purchase anything.
I am so busy lol. We still have a few parts to release this year.

Hope to have that press release up by Thursday!

- Andrew
Old 05-16-2023, 09:28 PM   #4376
Tomyyyu

Drives:
Installed Tarmac 2s on my GR86. Been using the settings you guys have on your website for what to configure the dampening and rebound to.

But for autocross what settings would you recommend for a starting point? The car is on stock sways.

Also can I use KW rebound extenders for the rear so I can access them that way?

Tomyyyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 01:42 PM   #4377
TurboLag23

Drives: 2018 BRZ w/Performance Package
Autocross setup question! 2018 BRZ, CSG Tein FLA V2 (recommended starting height, street damping settings F/R), -2.8F/-1.7R camber, 0F/+1/16R total toe, corner balanced to my weight, Michelin PS4S (245/40R17) on a 17x9. Everything in this setup is new to me, aside from wheels/tires.

Overall had an excellent autocross last Saturday - car was stable under braking, initial turn-in showed neither understeer or oversteer and was very sharp, and a slight bias to oversteer under power but very easy to hold/catch. However, I noticed that I was not picking up any pebbles on the outer 1/2" of my tires, and no evidence that I was ever rolling that far over (at all four corners), even after I rebalanced to 36 psi all-around after 3-4 runs. So, I think pressures were still a bit high. For subsequent autocrosses, I plan on aiming for 35 hot all-around, then decreasing from there until I hit the sweet spot for grip and ideal wear properties.

In general, what handling and visual indicators should I be looking for that indicate I've hit this balance - or deflated too far and gone past it?
TurboLag23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 02:23 PM   #4378
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomyyyu View Post
Installed Tarmac 2s on my GR86. Been using the settings you guys have on your website for what to configure the dampening and rebound to.

But for autocross what settings would you recommend for a starting point? The car is on stock sways.

Also can I use KW rebound extenders for the rear so I can access them that way?

Duuude I missed this. The settings in the guide on our website do work well as a starting point for autocross but there's potential for more. Myles can walk you through some tips if you email us or call.

- Andrew
Tatsu333 (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 02:27 PM   #4379
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag23 View Post
Autocross setup question! 2018 BRZ, CSG Tein FLA V2 (recommended starting height, street damping settings F/R), -2.8F/-1.7R camber, 0F/+1/16R total toe, corner balanced to my weight, Michelin PS4S (245/40R17) on a 17x9. Everything in this setup is new to me, aside from wheels/tires.

Overall had an excellent autocross last Saturday - car was stable under braking, initial turn-in showed neither understeer or oversteer and was very sharp, and a slight bias to oversteer under power but very easy to hold/catch. However, I noticed that I was not picking up any pebbles on the outer 1/2" of my tires, and no evidence that I was ever rolling that far over (at all four corners), even after I rebalanced to 36 psi all-around after 3-4 runs. So, I think pressures were still a bit high. For subsequent autocrosses, I plan on aiming for 35 hot all-around, then decreasing from there until I hit the sweet spot for grip and ideal wear properties.

In general, what handling and visual indicators should I be looking for that indicate I've hit this balance - or deflated too far and gone past it?
Tire temp probe or some carefully taken photos of your car mid-corner (sounds silly but it's better than nothing). Much easier to do both of these for autox than a track day, but then much less heat in the tire as well for the tire temp probe. Tire chalk is also a method that some use.

- Andrew
Tatsu333 (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 11:05 PM   #4380
Muffled

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I installed Bilstein B14s, Verus front camber plates and eccentric camber bolts on my car last year. Ever since the install, the steering has been acting strange. It will return to centre if I put about half a turn of steering angle in during standard driving manouvers, but when I'm parking (low speed, high steering lock applications), the steering doesn't return to centre in a natural feeling way. It wants to stay "turned" in a way I haven't experienced before. What could be the symptom?

I feel it's related to the suspension install because the car didn't behave this way on stock suspension, and immediately started acting like this after install. An alignment a few days after install didn't change this. This is why I don't think it's something I didn't touch like the steering rack.

Caster is close to stock (6.1 deg, stock is 5.9deg according to my alignment sheet). The alignment I got is -2.5deg front camber, a bit of toe in all around. The car has 17x7.5 PF01s that had 245/40 Hankook Evos and 225/45 RS4s. The shop that did the alignment only used the camber plates to adjust camber and didn't touch the camber bolts. So when you open the hood, the camber plates are set unevenly.

Could that be the cause of this symptom? Could this be roll-centre related? It's been a year and a handful of autocrosses since. I'm replacing sway bar end links and getting another alignment so if there's something I could do while I'm in there that would help, I'd love to.
Muffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:17 AM   #4381
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffled View Post
I installed Bilstein B14s, Verus front camber plates and eccentric camber bolts on my car last year. Ever since the install, the steering has been acting strange. It will return to centre if I put about half a turn of steering angle in during standard driving manouvers, but when I'm parking (low speed, high steering lock applications), the steering doesn't return to centre in a natural feeling way. It wants to stay "turned" in a way I haven't experienced before. What could be the symptom?

I feel it's related to the suspension install because the car didn't behave this way on stock suspension, and immediately started acting like this after install. An alignment a few days after install didn't change this. This is why I don't think it's something I didn't touch like the steering rack.

Caster is close to stock (6.1 deg, stock is 5.9deg according to my alignment sheet). The alignment I got is -2.5deg front camber, a bit of toe in all around. The car has 17x7.5 PF01s that had 245/40 Hankook Evos and 225/45 RS4s. The shop that did the alignment only used the camber plates to adjust camber and didn't touch the camber bolts. So when you open the hood, the camber plates are set unevenly.

Could that be the cause of this symptom? Could this be roll-centre related? It's been a year and a handful of autocrosses since. I'm replacing sway bar end links and getting another alignment so if there's something I could do while I'm in there that would help, I'd love to.
90% is due to that “high” front camber setup. Totally normal. Anyway, you could set your camber at the hub for what is possible (b14 springs are wide) then use plates. Fine tuning for camber using camber bolts is a little of a pain but it’s better since keeping the SAI equal side to side would be preferable.
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marco_mc22 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 08:55 AM   #4382
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffled View Post

Yeah I prefer camber plates to be even when possible, but it can be difficult.

But like marco said, some of that behavior is normal with more camber.

- Andrew