follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2023, 11:12 AM   #29
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I normally love their videos. Normally I am on the same page with them. However, I disagreed with a LOT of what they said in this video. I was surprised. And have evidence contradicting a lot of what was said.
My AP Sprint kit was used for several years non-stop in Colorado, magnesium chloride and all. I could not find any degradation of the calipers, and documented it well with a post on this forum.
In fact, my 2023 BRZ arrives in a couple weeks and I chose to go with another AP BBK based on my experience with my first BRZ.
I use my car for 20 to 30 track days a year, and just as many days skiing. It's a wonderful "compromise" car in my experience.
It would be fun to have a discussion with them about all of the things that were disappointing. Unfortunately, videos are simply one-way communication. The format isn't nearly as useful as having a discussion sharing multiple perspectives.
I also think one of them has a bias favoring Honda, although that's not a major consideration in what I shared above.
Just curious,do they use rock salt on the roads out there in Denver? I don't live too far from these guys and I can tell you that we heavily salt our roads,so if they are doing a lot of wintery driving on snowy,rock salt covered roads,I can see where they are coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is why I don't watch click bait YT videos from people with no credibility.

I'd go into my experience but the pop rivet, widebody crowd would say I'm dumb.
Just to defend these guys a little bit,I wouldn't call anything they do as "clickbait". They've been making videos for years now,and always try to be objective. They don't just drive the cars,they also try to get as much information from the engineers to help for a better opinion of what the cars that they drive are trying to achieve.

I might not agree with everything they say,but at the very least I feel like they are trying harder than most to not just come off as fanboys of certain cars by actually giving very solid reviews.I feel like your criticism might be a bit harsh.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-10-2023), PulsarBeeerz (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:20 AM   #30
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
Just curious,do they use rock salt on the roads out there in Denver? I don't live too far from these guys and I can tell you that we heavily salt our roads,so if they are doing a lot of wintery driving on snowy,rock salt covered roads,I can see where they are coming from.
From the Colorado DOT website:
(Colorado uses,) "sand, a sand/salt mixture, and various liquid anti-icers and de-icers."
Many around here claim the magnesium chloride (liquid de-icer) is harsher on cars than salt is. I have no data to support that, though.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:28 AM   #31
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
How much weight did you lose and how much time did you gain at the track? I'm not saying it's important but being like "I lost 12.5lbs on my exhaust helped me get to cars and coffee faster is silly.

You can gain a bigger gain from an AP sprint kit which drops 20lbs on the front end.

Again,it's about cost. Forget about lap times. If I spend half the price on a practically brand new catback,and get better gas mileage,then it's worth it to me in the long run,than spending a couple grand on better brakes on a car that I'm not taking to the track.

If I'm making my car into a track car,then I'm not even going to bullshit around,I'm going FI.Anything else with this platform is just delaying what you inevitably should be doing to get it to a car that will get you the fastest times as possible,unless we are talking engine swaps.I'm just not that serious about any of it though,and my guess is that the majority of owners aren't either.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:30 AM   #32
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
The better point of buying a catback should be for weight reduction. I have the HKS Hi-Power Spec II,and it feels like a feather compared to the stock exhaust.The added bonus is that it sounds a little bit sportier,without being at all obnoxious.

I bought it here from a forum member at a fantastic deal. I would NEVER pay full price for any of these "mods",because the value just isn't there,for me at least.

You can make any excuse you want to justify mods (here I go being Debbie downer). In regards to weight reduction you could be saving weight difference from a great bowel movement to you the driver losing 10-20lbs yourself of weight or driving around on an almost empty fuel tank to not justifying a buying a catback if it was strictly about weight savings. Maybe its a feel good thing knowing you lost catback weight savings, or an increase of .025 seconds 0-60 which is negligible and has too much variable to see an actual fixed gain.

Catback is about sound/aesthetics thats it

If this were the early 90's when exhaust systems on 4 bangers were tiny, crush bent s bends looks like some backyard mechanic beat it with a hammer to fit, 2 catalytic converters or more and 2+ mufflers/resonaters per pipe and headers that had terrible flow or piss poor matched exhaust ports, then one would see some net gains.

If I were going to give it a go and I would do uel headers and everything else stock with a qtp electronic controlled cut out right before the rear muffler. So silence and a push of a button rowdyness.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:03 AM   #33
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
This is why I don't watch click bait YT videos from people with no credibility.

I'd go into my experience but the pop rivet, widebody crowd would say I'm dumb.
Or the usual. "Hater"
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:25 AM   #34
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
From the Colorado DOT website:
(Colorado uses,) "sand, a sand/salt mixture, and various liquid anti-icers and de-icers."
Many around here claim the magnesium chloride (liquid de-icer) is harsher on cars than salt is. I have no data to support that, though.
Everything I've heard is the stuff is more corrosive than the sodium of potassium based salts too. However, it supposedly works at far lower temperatures than the traditional rock salt products.

I don't know the chemistry behind it, just information I've been told from people I've talked to who run snow plows and a city government employee.

Around here they use a magnesium chloride solution mixed with beet juice that they spray on the bridges. Nasty stuff, but they don't lay it down everywhere like they do in other parts of the country.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:47 AM   #35
BioRebel

Drives: Mini Cooper S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I normally love their videos. Normally I am on the same page with them. However, I disagreed with a LOT of what they said in this video. I was surprised. And have evidence contradicting a lot of what was said.
My AP Sprint kit was used for several years non-stop in Colorado, magnesium chloride and all. I could not find any degradation of the calipers, and documented it well with a post on this forum.
In fact, my 2023 BRZ arrives in a couple weeks and I chose to go with another AP BBK based on my experience with my first BRZ.
I use my car for 20 to 30 track days a year, and just as many days skiing. It's a wonderful "compromise" car in my experience.
It would be fun to have a discussion with them about all of the things that were disappointing. Unfortunately, videos are simply one-way communication. The format isn't nearly as useful as having a discussion sharing multiple perspectives.
I also think one of them has a bias favoring Honda, although that's not a major consideration in what I shared above.
Thanks for this. A BBK is still a ways off for me, but its good to know theres not some insane extra level of maintenance I'd need to do that would leave me without a car for weeks at a time every year.
BioRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:56 AM   #36
Pat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRebel View Post
Thanks for this. A BBK is still a ways off for me, but its good to know theres not some insane extra level of maintenance I'd need to do that would leave me without a car for weeks at a time every year.
If you get your brakes hot enough, you'll actually spend less time servicing your brakes with the AP Sprint kit, as there are no dust boots to degrade.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:55 AM   #37
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
If you get your brakes hot enough, you'll actually spend less time servicing your brakes with the AP Sprint kit, as there are no dust boots to degrade.
For what it's worth I have been beating on a stoptech BBK with dust boots for years. Pulled them apart to inspect them and replace the seals. Dust boots were fine.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:05 AM   #38
Pat

Garage
Good info, thanks for sharing.
Do you have any idea how many track days are on the kit with the original boots? What kind of tires and pads are you using?
Old 02-14-2023, 11:13 AM   #39
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Good info, thanks for sharing.
Do you have any idea how many track days are on the kit with the original boots? What kind of tires and pads are you using?
Around 20 days and 40k street miles. Pads used have been XP10's and CSG C1's. Tires used SX2's, Dunlop Z3, RS3, RS4, RT660. No brake ducts.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:02 PM   #40
Pat

Garage
I'm glad to hear you've had such good luck with the boots holding up to you, "beating on a stoptech BBK with dust boots for years". Hopefully that continues.
I wonder if the same experience would be had by someone that lives in a hotter climate than Oregon, using more aggressive tires and pads.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:11 PM   #41
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I'm glad to hear you've had such good luck with the boots holding up to you, "beating on a stoptech BBK with dust boots for years". Hopefully that continues.
I wonder if the same experience would be had by someone that lives in a hotter climate than Oregon, using more aggressive tires and pads.
Guess we will see if SC3R's introduce any issues with them this year
Old 02-15-2023, 06:30 AM   #42
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
If it was about being sensible, one wouldn’t have purchased a sports car in the first place. This forum sometimes, yeesh. .
Hey! It gets pretty good MPG and fits a bike in the back. It's an economy car that just happens to power the correct wheels. I need to buy it for fiscal responsibility.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lelandjt For This Useful Post:
Pat (02-15-2023)