follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
toyinhawaiiz

Drives: '73 Toyota Corona 2 DRHTP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015 Fr-s pros and cons.... is it worth it?

Hi all, came over from Toyotanation on recommendation from got-rice. i seen this on my local Craigslist, i know toyotas but not this model, was wondering if there is a quik list of the the pros and cons about this car? just something if i decide to go check this out. i heard that aftermarket mods are desirable because some OEM parts just dont cut it. It has 110k miles and they want $12,900. wanted to see what is said around here .....thanks in advance
toyinhawaiiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:31 PM   #2
toyinhawaiiz

ah... now i see it after i post.. up in the sticky thread about the problems and issues, oh well, sorry for this post , unless there is something specific about the 2015 model year
Old 12-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #3
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyinhawaiiz View Post
Hi all, came over from Toyotanation on recommendation from got-rice. i seen this on my local Craigslist, i know toyotas but not this model, was wondering if there is a quik list of the the pros and cons about this car? just something if i decide to go check this out. i heard that aftermarket mods are desirable because some OEM parts just dont cut it. It has 110k miles and they want $12,900. wanted to see what is said around here .....thanks in advance

clutch usually goes under 100k miles
spark plugs are a pita
they don't handle tons of boost well, if going FI need to plan build carefully
if tracking there can be oiling issues
oil can run hot with track/autox
if well cared for car is likely fine
the transmission isn't the most robust, but if not abused is fine
Old 12-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
toyinhawaiiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
clutch usually goes under 100k miles
spark plugs are a pita
they don't handle tons of boost well, if going FI need to plan build carefully
if tracking there can be oiling issues
oil can run hot with track/autox
if well cared for car is likely fine
the transmission isn't the most robust, but if not abused is fine
Thanks Alphasaur! actually this is my fault on wanting this. it will be for my daughter, she is in need of her first car, she has been driving for 6 yrs but has used our cars and she was looking at a chevy cruz and a ford focus.... worse things she could have ever gotten. i told her to stick with either a honda or toyota, her friend has a manual corolla and she thinks she can handle the manuals lol. we went on craigslist and the Fr-s was the first we saw that had a manual. as far as driving it... yea, no tracks or racing,, just a daily driver. probably not the car for her needs but.....

Another question that is semi-related if you can answer; is that 6 spd in the Fr-s the same as the 6 spd that comes with the 3SGE Beams engine? for the last 6 months i've started thinking about putting one of those in my old Corona. the 18RC has never been rebuilt and i wanted a fuel injection to put in her. i know those 3SGE's are a unicorn and they want crazy $$$ for those , especially ones with a 6 spd
The Following User Says Thank You to toyinhawaiiz For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks Alphasaur! actually this is my fault on wanting this. it will be for my daughter, she is in need of her first car, she has been driving for 6 yrs but has used our cars and she was looking at a chevy cruz and a ford focus.... worse things she could have ever gotten. i told her to stick with either a honda or toyota, her friend has a manual corolla and she thinks she can handle the manuals lol. we went on craigslist and the Fr-s was the first we saw that had a manual. as far as driving it... yea, no tracks or racing,, just a daily driver. probably not the car for her needs but.....

Another question that is semi-related if you can answer; is that 6 spd in the Fr-s the same as the 6 spd that comes with the 3SGE Beams engine? for the last 6 months i've started thinking about putting one of those in my old Corona. the 18RC has never been rebuilt and i wanted a fuel injection to put in her. i know those 3SGE's are a unicorn and they want crazy $$$ for those , especially ones with a 6 spd
Keep in mind that although badged Toyota (Scion) the drive train is about 80% Subaru. It is not a Toyota engine by a long shot.
The tranny is a Toyota TL70 which was based on the Asin AZ6. The TL70 is used only in the FRS/86/BRZ and one model of Lexus (don't remember what it is). The AZ6 is used in some Mazdas and other makes but I don't think any Toyotas.
soundman98 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 02:07 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I think the bolded part says it.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
toyinhawaiiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Keep in mind that although badged Toyota (Scion) the drive train is about 80% Subaru. It is not a Toyota engine by a long shot.
The tranny is a Toyota TL70 which was based on the Asin AZ6. The TL70 is used only in the FRS/86/BRZ and one model of Lexus (don't remember what it is). The AZ6 is used in some Mazdas and other makes but I don't think any Toyotas.
Thanks Tcoat for the schooling, My knowledge is based on the old school toyotas. I am still in the learning mode when it comes to mating toyota components with Yamaha and Subaru
Old 12-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #8
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@toyinhawaiiz By 110k miles I needed to get the new updated clutch throw-out bearing,
part that got released in ~2017. Also found that whiteline bushing inserts (positive shift, positive traction kits) were needed on my car as driveline slack made the car sloppy. Also needed a new EPS (steering) coupler not long after. Pretty simple stuff to deal with though.

Also had the J02 valve spring recall job done. Something to look at. My car drives very nice long after the recall. Others had engine failure.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #9
toyinhawaiiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I think the bolded part says it.

LOL...... believe me.. i get it. she is the youngest of the 3 i have and the only one who absorbed/forced absorbed (LOL) the knowledge i have about what makes a vehicle tick and how to work on them. we just finished up replacing
the strut assy., lower ball joints and CV axles on my wifes mazda. even her friends ask her car questions and then sometimes she confirms with me before answering them. So, i gotta have faith that my knowledge has been passed before i go to the boneyard in the sky , besides.... the Fr-s is a learning
experience for me too...maybe! we'll see how this deal goes thru
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toyinhawaiiz For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-09-2022), humfrz (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #10
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
How's your Corona holding up?
My first car was a '65 Corona. I was 16 years old and beat the holy crap out of that car and it kept on running. It wasn't until the third time I ran out of oil that it seized for good. I lived right on the beach at the time so it was rusting apart.
How's it doing on the island?

As far as the FR-S goes, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. And I've owned a lot.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #11
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
And let me add.
It's also one of the easiest to work on.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #12
toyinhawaiiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@toyinhawaiiz By 110k miles I needed to get the new updated clutch throw-out bearing,
part that got released in ~2017. Also found that whiteline bushing inserts (positive shift, positive traction kits) were needed on my car as driveline slack made the car sloppy. Also needed a new EPS (steering) coupler not long after. Pretty simple stuff to deal with though.

Also had the J02 valve spring recall job done. Something to look at. My car drives very nice long after the recall. Others had engine failure.
Hey RADROACH, is your mentioned above covered under a recall or was it just general scheduled up graded maintenance that was done. I asked the seller if he could supply me with the VIN# so i can check out the recalls, Carfax, etc.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:05 PM   #13
toyinhawaiiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
How's your Corona holding up?
My first car was a '65 Corona. I was 16 years old and beat the holy crap out of that car and it kept on running. It wasn't until the third time I ran out of oil that it seized for good. I lived right on the beach at the time so it was rusting apart.
How's it doing on the island?

As far as the FR-S goes, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. And I've owned a lot.
hi WNDSRFR, the Corona is all good, it just time for an engine rebuild @ 159K miles and 50 yrs old, shes never had one. Shes become addicted to the wild turkey(10w-40) once a month. thats why i was thinking of putting the 3SGE in it. the 18 RC rebuild would cost about $1500 and still have 50 yr old technology or spend $3500 approx. for 20 yr old technology that is much better. heres a pic, the surf rack doubles as a tree carrier too (LOL). heres my other baby, 84' elky, just got done with an off frame on this, has an LT1 now.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to toyinhawaiiz For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-09-2022), Dzmitry (12-08-2022), humfrz (12-08-2022), WNDSRFR (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:18 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
LOL...... believe me.. i get it. she is the youngest of the 3 i have and the only one who absorbed/forced absorbed (LOL) the knowledge i have about what makes a vehicle tick and how to work on them. we just finished up replacing
the strut assy., lower ball joints and CV axles on my wifes mazda. even her friends ask her car questions and then sometimes she confirms with me before answering them. So, i gotta have faith that my knowledge has been passed before i go to the boneyard in the sky , besides.... the Fr-s is a learning
experience for me too...maybe! we'll see how this deal goes thru
Well, OK, since she is car smart, the FRS would be OK for her.

Go fer it!

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote