follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Tofu driver's Fr-s

Drives: Whiteout Fr-s
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD kit questions

This is more of a question to owners that have the kit or are knowledgeable about it, but all opinions are welcome. Okay so I'm a big fan of the trd body kit because of how it flows with the cars lines (especially the Trunk lip), but I have some question before I put that kind of money into a purchase like this. Ive searched but no one seems to have mentioned these things.

1) Does anyone have clear details of what has to be "cut" in the rear for the trd to fit?
2) Is there much ground clearance lost?
3) Is it impossible to escape that front license plate bracket? I assume yes since it is a part from Japan.
4) Am I best off getting the TRD front,sides, trunk lip, Modellista rears and tack one of those Rear bumper diffuser to complete the look. (matter of opinion here)

Thanks,

Tofu driver's Fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu driver's Fr-s View Post
2) Is there much ground clearance lost?
3) Is it impossible to escape that front license plate bracket? I assume yes since it is a part from Japan.
I can help with these 2

2) Not really, you will be "lower" but not by much
3) if you know a good body guy, you could cut off the license plate bracket and get it custom fabricated. That is the only solution I have seen so far. I am interested in a proper solution here as well but right now, custom fabrication/deletion of that part is the only option.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Loss of ground clearance is nothing to worry about, I have 1" drop and still clear our mountain speed humps in SA.

Rear piece you need to cut into the OEM bumper as it is designed for twin pipes. If you not fitting twins pipes waste of money to install the rear kit and looks terrible with single pipe. IMO
Like your idea of the modelista rear pieces, something cheaper http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/94...yota_FR_S.html

We have a number plate bracket for the TRD kit in SA so you must be able to get one or cut as mentioned.

Good luck
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan86 For This Useful Post:
Kev01 (07-11-2013), Tofu driver's Fr-s (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Tofu driver's Fr-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
I can help with these 2

2) Not really, you will be "lower" but not by much
3) if you know a good body guy, you could cut off the license plate bracket and get it custom fabricated. That is the only solution I have seen so far. I am interested in a proper solution here as well but right now, custom fabrication/deletion of that part is the only option.
2 is more than appreciated. Yea ideally I wanted that reasoning as to the cutting because I prefer not to cut up my car like that unless I manage to find a spare rear bumper for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
Loss of ground clearance is nothing to worry about, I have 1" drop and still clear our mountain speed humps in SA.

Rear piece you need to cut into the OEM bumper as it is designed for twin pipes. If you not fitting twins pipes waste of money to install the rear kit and looks terrible with single pipe. IMO
Like your idea of the modelista rear pieces, something cheaper http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/94...yota_FR_S.html

We have a number plate bracket for the TRD kit in SA so you must be able to get one or cut as mentioned.

Good luck
Thanks very much, so ground clearance is most definitely not an issue. Yeah i forgot to mention I plan on just getting a Borla exhaust. I've been hearing most people say that if you get the trd rear you need to get the trd exhaust as well. I guess it makes sense since I searched an cant find a single car without the trd exhaust.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Ryan86
Road Warrior

TRD exhaust is so expensive $1700 in SA and does nothing more for sound or performance than your stock zorst.
Each to there own.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Tofu driver's Fr-s

Quote:
TRD exhaust is so expensive $1700 in SA and does nothing more for sound or performance than your stock zorst.
Each to there own.
Yea I have no intentions of getting the TRD exhaust I could do so many other/more important things with that much money. Personally I prefer other exhausts instead of the quad. That's why I plan to go with Borla. But like you said Each to there own.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
xXDeathMaliCeXx

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have a question as well about the TRD sideskirts. Anybody without the kit should know about those dirt lines that run down the bottom of the doors..is water getting in between the sideskirts and the body with this kit? A little worried about water build up in the long term if I stick on the sideskirts...

2013 SWP Toyota GT86 -- Daily Duty
xXDeathMaliCeXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDeathMaliCeXx View Post
I have a question as well about the TRD sideskirts. Anybody without the kit should know about those dirt lines that run down the bottom of the doors..is water getting in between the sideskirts and the body with this kit? A little worried about water build up in the long term if I stick on the sideskirts...
If you get the OEM TRD kit it comes with proper fitment kit along with rubber sealing strips to prevent what you describe.
Attach pic
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Tofu driver's Fr-s

Quote:
If you get the OEM TRD kit it comes with proper fitment kit along with rubber sealing strips to prevent what you describe.
Attach pic
Good to know I'm going to make sure I check that my order comes like that.

Just wondering since you are in SA did you order your car with the kit installed or did you have it installed after you purchased the car?

Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Ryan86
Road Warrior

I first went with Evasive downforce cf lip kit and now gone with TRD kit.
If you can get NUR kit that is also hot, just very expensive.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Tofu driver's Fr-s

Quote:
I first went with Evasive downforce cf lip kit and now gone with TRD kit.
If you can get NUR kit that is also hot, just very expensive.
I considered that also but like you said its also expensive plus I cannot get it fully painted for some reason, the US suppliers get the front and rear painted but not the sides.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
brianlo622

Drives: 2013 FR-S, raven
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
1.) the kit comes with a template of what needs to be cut. basically dont worry too much about it, the rear lip covers up any imperfection during the cutting, just dont cut it too big.

2.) still at stock height (soon to be on TE37SL and about 2.5" lowered all around) but at stock height I havent scraped ONCE, but then again Im used to driving lowered cars since 1997.

3.) the front license plate is a part of the front lip, I dont see how it will look nice if it is cut away. you can put a vanity plate (like a TRD racing development) in its place if it bothers you. Personally I just put my front plate on, i think it looks fine.

4.) Feel free to mix and match. My theme is all TRD exterior, so I went with the full kit, together with the TRD quad tips exhaust.

5.) my car http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21800

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=567510

Good luck.

Brian
Stance Coilovers & LCA | TE37SL18x9.5PressedGraphite
brianlo622 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianlo622 For This Useful Post:
CamryDS (07-24-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Tofu driver's Fr-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlo622 View Post
1.) the kit comes with a template of what needs to be cut. basically dont worry too much about it, the rear lip covers up any imperfection during the cutting, just dont cut it too big.

2.) still at stock height (soon to be on TE37SL and about 2.5" lowered all around) but at stock height I havent scraped ONCE, but then again Im used to driving lowered cars since 1997.

3.) the front license plate is a part of the front lip, I dont see how it will look nice if it is cut away. you can put a vanity plate (like a TRD racing development) in its place if it bothers you. Personally I just put my front plate on, i think it looks fine.

4.) Feel free to mix and match. My theme is all TRD exterior, so I went with the full kit, together with the TRD quad tips exhaust.

5.) my car http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21800

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=567510

Good luck.

Brian
First off your car is amazing, and thank you for your input.
Its nice to know there is a template but I'm still on the fence about cutting the car.(just me being stubborn I guess)

I asked since in Florida we only have one plate so I guess I could put a Japan 86 plate of some sort.

I would like to follow that theme but sometimes I dont like the lines on the rear bumper and the exhaust is more expensive than I'd like to pay.
For me, I just want the bodykit to complement the flow of the stock bodies lines. If that makes sense to you all.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
SpecPer

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
you will not have any issues even if lowered. Below you will see mine is lowered about 2" and with aggressive wheels.

SpecPer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecPer For This Useful Post:
619_FRS (07-11-2013), dphan (07-24-2013), kev1360 (07-24-2013), Tofu driver's Fr-s (07-11-2013)