follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
Seasaw

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch noise and Replacement

Hi all, I got my 2017 BRZ new from the lot last January, and I have racked up about 24k miles. For the time I have had it, I have babied it for the most part, however I will say I did not confidently know how to drive stick when I drove it off the lot (a couple of stalls for the first weeks of ownership). I do not drive it very hard nor have I done any extensive autocross or taken it to the track yet.

I took the BRZ to the dealership for the 24k mile maintenance and I let them know about the squeaking noise my clutch made when I pressed down on it. I found out previously that it was due to the clutch fork being dry, and I had asked the technicians to look into it. About an hour later the a representative let me know that they looked into the noise; they fixed the initial noise, but they found that the throw out bearings and clutch were a little worn. He said that it would be best to replace it now, as more problems would arise in the future best to take care of it. I asked him how much it would be, he said he can possibly get it all under the warranty free of charge. He also let me know that he had already ordered the parts, and he would call me to set up a time to replace the whole clutch. My initial reaction was "great, new clutch for free, sure why not". I hadn't signed anything yet except the paperwork for the initial maintenance done. Upon leaving, something did not set right with me.

My questions are:
Has anyone else had this problem with their clutch after such a short amount of time, and should I be worried about any hidden costs or shady dealership tricks for something that is essentially under warranty?
Seasaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It's what warranty is for. Great that they're being proactive.

A squeak *while* pressing the clutch may have been the throw arm or the bushing at the top of the clutch pedal itself.
Not a big deal other than more noises in the interior.

If it's squeaking while the clutch is fully pressed, that's the TOB.

Manufacturing processes run on percentages.
Even the new TOB may have a couple slip through QC with a little less grease than is good for them.

Get them to put it in writing before handing over the keys.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Seasaw (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Nothing shady. It's silly to replace a perfectly good clutch but it's a goodwill gesture.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Heck, I'd let them proceed. Just be sure they are going to use the new, improved, TOB. It has a white dot on it. The part number is here on the forum - somewhere.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Seasaw (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Clutches typically aren't covered by the warranty, same as brakes and other wear item.

During mechanic school I spend a few days at a toyota dealership and there was a Matrix with 600km with a shot clutch. You simply can't warranty that stuff because one driver can make it last 200000km and another can make it last 600km.

Perhaps your Subaru dealership is massaging things around to get paid for replacing it, which isn't the same as replacing a clutch under warranty, it's simply doing large enough of a warranty claim on something else that it covers the cost of doing the clutch, or they may be claiming a throwout bearing failure causing excessive clutch wear and Subaru's covering the "damage".

Either way, if they replace the clutch at no cost to you, it's a good deal.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Seasaw (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Welcome to the club of bad throw-out bearings!
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
During mechanic school I spend a few days at a toyota dealership and there was a Matrix with 600km with a shot clutch.
Are we to conclude that OP's clutch is shot because of this one example? Mind you, I'm not doubting the example. Some people are just idiots.

Seasaw, do you ride your clutch... a lot?
Old 09-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Clutches typically aren't covered by the warranty, same as brakes and other wear item.

During mechanic school I spend a few days at a toyota dealership and there was a Matrix with 600km with a shot clutch. You simply can't warranty that stuff because one driver can make it last 200000km and another can make it last 600km.

Perhaps your Subaru dealership is massaging things around to get paid for replacing it, which isn't the same as replacing a clutch under warranty, it's simply doing large enough of a warranty claim on something else that it covers the cost of doing the clutch, or they may be claiming a throwout bearing failure causing excessive clutch wear and Subaru's covering the "damage".

Either way, if they replace the clutch at no cost to you, it's a good deal.
Heck, this guy roasted a clutch within 6" -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Are we to conclude that OP's clutch is shot because of this one example? Mind you, I'm not doubting the example. Some people are just idiots.

Seasaw, do you ride your clutch... a lot?
No, we don't conclude that OP's clutch is shot because of this one example, we conclude that examples like this are why clutches and other wear items are never covered under warranty, and if his dealer is offering to replace it at no charge to him, they're doing him a solid.

I never implied that his clutch had anything, I never even touched on the noise, but I said what I said with the knowledge that any clutch will see a lot more wear doing 24k miles with a manual noob than with a manual veteran. If the fork is squeeking, or the TOB being noisy, then rather than trying to spray lube through the fork hole or some crap, the best way to fix it is to take the trans off, and if he can get new friction while it's open, then it's a good deal.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the club! If it wasn't dealer covered I would say upgrade...
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
No, we don't conclude that OP's clutch is shot because of this one example, we conclude that examples like this are why clutches and other wear items are never covered under warranty, and if his dealer is offering to replace it at no charge to him, they're doing him a solid.
Ah! Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
Welcome to the club! If it wasn't dealer covered I would say upgrade...
Let's discuss. Why not OEM? What is considered an upgrade?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
Ah! Got it.

Let's discuss. Why not OEM? What is considered an upgrade?
Ahh I see it's not quite clear what's in the boxes. It's actually an Exedy oem spec clutch (I don't feel like I need anything stronger for my car) and a 12 lb. flywheel. The flywheel is considered to be the upgrade. Granted, some people don't like light flywheels and that's another topic for another day I suppose.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #13
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
Ahh I see it's not quite clear what's in the boxes. It's actually an Exedy oem spec clutch (I don't feel like I need anything stronger for my car) and a 12 lb. flywheel. The flywheel is considered to be the upgrade. Granted, some people don't like light flywheels and that's another topic for another day I suppose.
I have some mods but I don't consider them upgrades. They change the car but they aren't universally accepted as "better."

Being more revvy is fun but if a noob driver is already struggling, it could make for a miserable learner car. Stock is pretty friendly.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #14
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
I have some mods but I don't consider them upgrades. They change the car but they aren't universally accepted as "better."

Being more revvy is fun but if a noob driver is already struggling, it could make for a miserable learner car. Stock is pretty friendly.
I can agree with that. Different strokes.