follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #225
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 542 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I noticed this too. A big difference in speed between the speedometer and the Ecutek log file. Do you have any idea why is this happening?
Legislation? I didn't calculate the percentage difference. But since the difference is exponential, and everyone else on the roads seems to drive the same speeds, I can imagine the speedo is required to be programmed to show a certain percentage too high.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:08 PM   #226
Iceman
Senior Member
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: GT86
Location: Spain
Posts: 205
Thanks: 453
Thanked 181 Times in 88 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nordschleife 101: There aren't any 2nd gear corners! Not even with the stock engine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I noticed this too. A big difference in speed between the speedometer and the Ecutek log file. Do you have any idea why is this happening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Legislation? I didn't calculate the percentage difference. But since the difference is exponential, and everyone else on the roads seems to drive the same speeds, I can imagine the speedo is required to be programmed to show a certain percentage too high.
Legislation, yes. All cars must show some excess.

The Ecutek reads the correct speed from the ABS sensors. If you enter the hidden menu on the stock radio, you can see this as well
__________________
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ÓscarFaraday
IG: @oscarfaraday
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #227
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 542 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Nordschleife 101: There aren't any 2nd gear corners! Not even with the stock engine.
Even Fulvio drives Wehrseifen in 2nd.

In case anyone wonders who Fulvio is. He is the most insane Italian BRZ driver I've seen so far. This is how he takes Flugplatz by the way (full throttle) :
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Teseo (07-27-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #228
Iceman
Senior Member
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: GT86
Location: Spain
Posts: 205
Thanks: 453
Thanked 181 Times in 88 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Even Fulvio drives Wehrseifen in 2nd.

In case anyone wonders who Fulvio is. He is the most insane Italian BRZ driver I've seen so far. This is how he takes Flugplatz by the way (full throttle) :
And he's loosing time there, period. I know him from my '16 trip, great guy!

He lifts the throttle, actually. Too edgy... Causing oversteer.

I've done Flugplatz at 17X this year and it's quite a feeling I think it is possible to go full flatout but it takes more confidence/experience. Some aero wouldn't hurt either. But when I think about how much you can win/lose, at least during TF sessions... Better not to risk it.
__________________
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ÓscarFaraday
IG: @oscarfaraday
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #229
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 542 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
And he's loosing time there, period. I know him from my '16 trip, great guy!

He lifts the throttle, actually. Too edgy... Causing oversteer.

I've done Flugplatz at 17X this year and it's quite a feeling I think it is possible to go full flatout but it takes more confidence/experience. Some aero wouldn't hurt either. But when I think about how much you can win/lose, at least during TF sessions... Better not to risk it.
Yes, he lifts a bit. I meant at Quiddelbacher-Höhe just before Flugplatz, where I brake (and hence make 4th gear a viable choice for me), he goes flat out.

Why do you think he looses time, with a corner speed of 70 kmh, it's 30 kmh that can be accelerated in 2nd gear at high rpm instead of 3rd with much less power?
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:24 AM   #230
Roth
Member
 
Roth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2013 Gt86
Location: Sunnmøre - Norway
Posts: 61
Thanks: 19
Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Did another 4 laps at the NBR this weekend. First two laps (driven consecutively) my main camera wasn't recording. The second lap was a lot of fun though because I did a lot of overtaking, so that was kind of a shame. Maybe I will end up re-ordering the Sony camera because I'm tired of that troublesome Chinese crap. And the Sony did look a lot better, compared side by side.
...
Man I saw your gt at the ring the past weekend. I was standing by your car for a while, but you didn't show up
I was there 21-22 july. Long trip from Norway (not the first time, but for a weekend run I need a week free from wife and job. Well worth it ). No luck on saturday, I could drive only 2 laps before the waterfall-rain started. Sunday was actually very good for me, happy to see and feel much improvements every single laps.

I was there with my black gt86, and I was in the track when the Megane RS rolled, damn what a crash.

Last edited by Roth; 07-27-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:21 AM   #231
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 542 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
Man I saw your gt at the ring the past weekend. I was standing by your car for a while, but you didn't show up
I was there 21-22 july. Long trip from Norway (not the first time, but for a weekend run I need a week free from wife and job. Well worth it ). No luck on saturday, I could drive only 2 laps before the waterfall-rain started. Sunday was actually very good for me, happy to see and feel much improvements every single laps.

I was there with my black gt86, and I was in the track when the Megane RS rolled, damn what a crash.
That's a shame. I was probably in the diner drinking coffee or eating icecream if you were there when the track was closed. Do you have plans to come again? If so, the next time you plan to go you can always shoot me a message here on the forum.

I was on track too as you can see on the video, it must have happened only a few minutes before I arrived. Yes it looked pretty horrific, but to be honest I didn't notice much as I drove by. I was just focused on passing and not hitting any debris. I couldn't even tell what kind of car had rolled over until I saw my own video.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #232
Iceman
Senior Member
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: GT86
Location: Spain
Posts: 205
Thanks: 453
Thanked 181 Times in 88 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
Yes, he lifts a bit. I meant at Quiddelbacher-Höhe just before Flugplatz, where I brake (and hence make 4th gear a viable choice for me), he goes flat out.

Why do you think he looses time, with a corner speed of 70 kmh, it's 30 kmh that can be accelerated in 2nd gear at high rpm instead of 3rd with much less power?
There are a couple of reasons:

- The difference in acceleration doesn't make up for the time you loose with 2 extra gear changes (1 downshift and 1 upshift right after the corner).
- If you exit in 2nd you have to module the throttle or you can loose the rear, 3rd gear is much safer/stable and you can floor it with confidence. Plus, the exit is not straight so you're forced to shift mid-corner which is not ideal.
- Braking into the corner gets easier if you don't have to shift down to 2nd, you can mess up and unsettle the car.

It all adds up, the result being faster/easier/safer in 3rd.

Of course I understand in your case you are doing lower corner speeds so your approach is a bit different, but keep this "tricks" in mind for the future
__________________
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ÓscarFaraday
IG: @oscarfaraday
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman For This Useful Post:
Roth (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:58 AM   #233
Roth
Member
 
Roth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2013 Gt86
Location: Sunnmøre - Norway
Posts: 61
Thanks: 19
Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
That's a shame. I was probably in the diner drinking coffee or eating icecream if you were there when the track was closed. Do you have plans to come again? If so, the next time you plan to go you can always shoot me a message here on the forum.

I was on track too as you can see on the video, it must have happened only a few minutes before I arrived. Yes it looked pretty horrific, but to be honest I didn't notice much as I drove by. I was just focused on passing and not hitting any debris. I couldn't even tell what kind of car had rolled over until I saw my own video.

I will definitely message you
Do you live close to the track?
I'm planning a week "ring-holiday" next year in april. I have a baby coming soon, so it will be hard to leave again this autumn.
I'll be in touch, and follow your build
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 AM   #234
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 542 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
I will definitely message you
Do you live close to the track?
I'm planning a week "ring-holiday" next year in april. I have a baby coming soon, so it will be hard to leave again this autumn.
I'll be in touch, and follow your build
Or bring the baby and come in the autumn. Maximum effort to ensure he or she will become a petrolhead.

I live a good hour drive away, so I'm pretty close.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #235
MCTeeJ
Senior Member
 
MCTeeJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 422
Thanks: 488
Thanked 241 Times in 172 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I like this. Good work sir. Subbed.
__________________
MCTeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MCTeeJ For This Useful Post:
Tor (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #236
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 542 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I didn't get around to making a post here yet, but 2 weekends ago it was the annual track day at RacePark Meppen with the German Subaru club. I've driven there the previous two years as well and this is really a highlight of the year for me! It's such a great atmosphere and a lot of fun and friendly likeminded people.

It was also a great opportunity to take status on how my car works with the latest modifications. This is a track that not only suits the 86 perfectly, but also a track that I feel really comfortable driving and pushing my limits. This year, I think I found pretty close to the limits of the car as well.

I am no less than thrilled about my switch to the Pedders Supercar coilovers. The balance of the car is now perfect for my taste! It regained the stock "playfulness" but without biting your head off. My engine tuning worked flawlessly as well and the car felt really powerful. The only weak point was, as I was already aware, the tires.

I also had the opportunity to get some individual coaching with a professional German race driver. He started out driving a few rounds in my car with me in the passenger seat. Not only could I see he really enjoyed it, but he also outspokenly praised the car for having great handling and linear power. Or as he said it "it's not quite a slow car any longer".

I could see he babied it quite a bit when driving it. The biggest pad on the shoulder was after it was my turn driving he said "What a shame I drove it so softly. If I had started out driven it the way you did a lot would have become scared".

I do have the coaching on video, but I didn't ask his permission to share it. But this is something I definitely want to repeat on the Nürburgring and I'll ask if I can share the video on that occasion.


Anyway, here are some videos from the other sessions. Driving on the worn Yokohama AD08Rs was a great learning experience, so I played a bit more around with the car rather than focusing on optimal lap time.

Here 4 fun rounds with a lot of sliding around, where the data logging, unfortunately, stopped working. The coolest thing was sliding around the blind left-hander after the start/finish straight in 3rd gear:


[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqcfZXGqQlU[/ame]


Here the full last stint which also contained my fastest lap 1:18.9, which is lap 2 of 17 (I suppose few will have the patience to watch the whole video). It was a good improvement over last year (0.8 seconds), considering the tires barely had any grip left. With fresh tires, maybe a high 1:17 possible?


[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_kqsh9N6Vc[/ame]


As I wrote already, the used tires was not a disadvantage when it came to practicing car control. And it was actually a lot of fun, felt like 100 more horsepower.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Vin (08-23-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #237
Tor
Senior Member
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 919
Thanks: 369
Thanked 542 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
New tires.

Couldn't remember that they had this much profile when new:






Here 2 years 1 months old, 20 - 25000 km (12 - 15k miles) and lots of track:



(They have no grip anymore).
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Iceman (08-29-2018), MCTeeJ (08-28-2018), TeutonicShift89 (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #238
TeutonicShift89
Senior Member
 
TeutonicShift89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Location: Western NC
Posts: 122
Thanks: 144
Thanked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Congrats! Yes, when I get new tires it's like I can't help playing with those lovely, deep treads--knowing how quickly the "high places will be made low, and the low places raised up."

What tires are those? Do they do well on the road in the wet? I've done 2 sets of BFG G-Force Sport Comp II A/S and have gotten only 7-8k miles PER SET, and that's with just 1 track day each--and the track day was not even a real track day like what you do, just a driver education course for maybe 2 hrs total of track time per event.

The BFG's are relatively cheap and perform well but if I could get 15k out of a set that would be amazing.
__________________
You are going to be condemned to live out the consequences of your taste - TM

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT86 - inferno orange Artalos Member's Car Journals 4 04-14-2015 12:21 PM
GT86 TRD Parts Coming to Europe Hachiroku Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 37 12-05-2014 11:07 AM
Toyota Improves 2015 GT86's Dynamics, Adds Shark-Fin Antenna in Europe vh_supra26 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 93 04-26-2014 03:31 PM
No factory turbos for GT86 says Karl Schlicht (Toyota Motor Europe VP) vh_supra26 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 163 03-17-2014 09:53 PM
GT86 pricing for Belgium (Europe) NA_T Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 13 01-15-2012 11:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.