follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opticoat?

Worth it? Where should I get it done? I live in Halethorpe and would like to use a local shop, not mobile. I just spoke with On the Spot Mobile Detailing and was favorably impressed with them. They charge $150 for a stage 1 paint restoration and $395 for Opticoat. Add another $25 for basic interior cleaning or $100 for full interior detailing. I have a clear bra from the dealer and they say that they can spray Opticoat over it.

Any suggestions welcome. TIA.

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 07-22-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Waste of money. Doesn't protect against anything the paint can't, bird poop/tree sap/stone chips.

Just use the right products and the right methods.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
W2

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Waste of money. Doesn't protect against anything the paint can't, bird poop/tree sap/stone chips.

Just use the right products and the right methods.

Actually it protects against a whole lot more than just your standard paint, in fact it protects against everything you cited except rock chips. I highly recommend reading up on the product before making such claims.

OP, I opticoated my FR-S the weekend I brought it home and it was a great decision. My paint still looks brand new and gets compliments all the time. You never have to wax the car again, just wash the car and dry. Head over to www.autogeek.net and visit the forums to learn more than you ever need to about detailing a car. Lots of good threads on Opticoat there.

You do need to get the paint perfect and completely clean before applying the coating. The actual application is not difficult and $395 sounds a little high unless that includes extra prep of the paint surface. Opticoat is only $80 on Amazon.
W2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W2 For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (07-23-2014), limitedblkwrx (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
s2d4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2 View Post
Actually it protects against a whole lot more than just your standard paint, in fact it protects against everything you cited except rock chips. .
Unfortunately I have seen otherwise.
I suppose it protects against scratches as well?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
W2

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Unfortunately I have seen otherwise.
I suppose it protects against scratches as well?
It is supposed to be harder than typical clear coat but I have noticed faint scratching from something getting caught in my micro fiber towel when drying the car. Other than that I've got the typical rock chips all over the front of the car from highway driving on my commute. Should have got the clear bra installed.

Where I park at work birds crap on my car all spring but I have not seen the surface etch like my friends car. I also live in a dense wooded neighborhood with trees that drop some nasty black berries. They stick to everything but comes off the car once its soapy.

Very very happy with the Opticoat though, plan to do it on every new car. Prep was the time consuming part and there are areas I wish I would have polished up better.
W2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Yes. Do it. It does protect, and its a thick enough coat that you can have the opti polished a few times (to remove any swirl marks etc) and eventually (years) can have opti reapplied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 AM   #7
s2d4

Well, just do it since you opened the thread to justify the purchase you want.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #8
s2d4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2 View Post
It is supposed to be harder than typical clear coat but I have noticed faint scratching from something getting caught in my micro fiber towel when drying the car. Other than that I've got the typical rock chips all over the front of the car from highway driving on my commute. Should have got the clear bra installed.

Where I park at work birds crap on my car all spring but I have not seen the surface etch like my friends car. I also live in a dense wooded neighborhood with trees that drop some nasty black berries. They stick to everything but comes off the car once its soapy.

Very very happy with the Opticoat though, plan to do it on every new car. Prep was the time consuming part and there are areas I wish I would have polished up better.
So it still means you have to maintain it properly otherwise you get swirls from simple microfibre towels and needs to correct it.

As for your mate, it doesn't sound like he looks after his paint. The right wax and sealant will be fine as long as you keep up the usual maintenance.

For people who don't maintain their car much or don't do it properly, good product.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I had Opticoat done.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50890

Great product. That said, I probably wouldn't get it again because I never have time to wash my car much anyway. When I do have the time, I spend a few hours doing it. Sure, my car stays cleaner a while longer but once dirt/dust/pollen settles on the car, the opticoat is practically useless until the next wash.

I feel it's noticeably more resistant to rock chips/bug removal than standard practices.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slicktop For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
So it still means you have to maintain it properly otherwise you get swirls from simple microfibre towels and needs to correct it.

As for your mate, it doesn't sound like he looks after his paint. The right wax and sealant will be fine as long as you keep up the usual maintenance.

For people who don't maintain their car much or don't do it properly, good product.
Agreed. This makes the car easier to maintain when cleaning the body. Harder clear coat, easy wipe offs. The endless water beads and superior shine wears off after about 6 months. Thats where you either maintain with simple waxes, nano-based fluids it or get the basics of opticoat which for me, after 2 years, is still there.

Highly recommend opti coat users to buy Sonax Polymer Netsheild after 6 months of having their opti coat applied.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
Mr.
Supra Senior Member

Drives: AE86 & BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
it is in investment that a lot of people have done. If it doesn't work why would people be doing it anyhow right? Those prices are bit high doh.
Subscribe
Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Big thanks to all for your advice, suggestions and opinions. It sounds like Opticoat is exactly what I am looking for. My goal is simply to minimize the time required to keep the car clean and the paint protected from the usual bird crap, acid rain, tar, bugs, etc. I appreciate the argument that frequent polishing and waxing can accomplish much the same but the only reason I'm even considering Opticoat is to reduce all that labor time. The older I get the easier I like things and the easier it is to afford them that way. Some of you will understand that now and others probably will someday.

The owner of On the Spot is an authorized Opticoat Pro installer and told me that the price is set by Optimum. He would be installing the commercial formula not the $80 consumer grade formula. From what I've read on the subject, the consumer formula is more diluted to permit longer working time and subsequently forms a thinner layer than the lifetime warrantied commercial formula. How true any of this is I can't begin to speculate on.

BTW, I checked on the Opticoat website and Opticoat Pro is listed at $395 just for the application. Warranties are available up to lifetime (if applied to car less than 1 year old).
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. View Post
it is in investment that a lot of people have done. If it doesn't work why would people be doing it anyhow right? Those prices are bit high doh.
That's an incredibly bad argument. People spend money on things all the time that provide no benefit.

There are tons of threads online of people dissatisfied with Opticoat. I know because I looked when that $700 "deal" popped up from a forum sponsor a few months back. I do find it funny though that many people thought that price was OK but at $500 for the same thing it's now too expensive.

OP - if you don't have a garage or at least access to one for the first week, don't bother. Apparently OC has to "cure" and all the rain this time of year will wreck it if isn't allowed to cure properly.
Fast_Freddy (07-25-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Mr.
Supra Senior Member

Drives: AE86 & BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
agreed. People do invest in stuff that does not provide real benefits all the time.

Well my friend is professional car detailer. owns his own business. and has a great flow of customers that wants him personally to do details. So, I have a different perspective because I always seeing him busy hard at work Opti coating and detailing people's car.
They "want" that opti coat. don't really "need" it.

I agree with yah though.
Subscribe
Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote