follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #29
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well it's been nearly 7 months since the problem started and I still cannot pinpoint the damn thing.

There is a startup clunk that I FEEL is related but I'm not sure. When starting my car on top a lift, there was no clunk. Even after starting it/killing it it 5 times. When the startup clunk happens, I can feel it in the pedals.

When driving, I discovered that the car makes the noise with the clutch to the floor, making a hard right, and hitting bumps at the same time. Feels and sounds like the car has wooden "nuts" and they are just loosely swinging around my transmission tunnel! WTF! This will also shake the gas pedal, cause vibrations on outside of the transmission tunnel, and even cause a vibration under my clutch foot.

The noise is also loudest when turning to the right and uphill. This shakes the car like a MFer, but I see no discernible fluctuation in RPM!

I had the drivetrain/subframe bushings inspected and everything checked out fine.

I checked for exhaust clearance on my Perrin 2.5" catback and everything looked fine, although I could really shake the catback side to side quite a bit. Maybe the stock exhaust hangers are done for, but that's wishful thinking on my part.

I took it to the track last month and shaved 5 seconds off my PB, so it is not affecting performance in a noticeable way, except on ultra tight right hand turns. The car sometimes flashes Traction Control and I can feel the rear end shake when making such tight right hand turns (Sonoma turns 2, 7 and 11). It never behaves like this turning left.

I'm going to get some more videos with a mic tomorrow after work.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #30
norcalpb

Busy day so I’ll get the videos tomorrow lol.

But I just discovered the car will make the noise in neutral. I have my launch control at 4k, and when I bang it off this 4k limiter I can hear the noise.

Wtf could this be??

Engine mounts looked fine but maybe could be worn without showing any physical symptoms? I need to research vulcanized rubber.

Last edited by norcalpb; 01-22-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #31
norcalpb

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT0kKORXj7A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT0kKORXj7A[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 01:13 AM   #32
norcalpb

Just wanted to give another update.

I took the car to my local Subaru dealership. They had the car all day which made me think they found something. When they finally call they tell me that there is some play in the diff where the driveshaft meets the diff (differential input shaft bearing), which unfortunately is what I was told months ago, before I replaced this diff.

Maybe this diff I bought already had the slop in it? After all, I believe it is from a crashed 2017 BRZ. Either way, I can feel the slop when I quickly turn off cruise control on the highway, but I don't believe this is the cause of the noise.

The dealership also said it could be the shift forks. I'm not going to lie, I have done a couple clutch-less shifts to impress friends etc .(no grinding ever mind you), but the noise does seem to be coming from the transmission. I can feel the corresponding vibration on my feet, which is where the transmission is. It has to be inside the transmission.

Either way I will continue to track/daily drive the car. Right now 981 cayman S and C7 Z51 are too distant of an option, so I'll appreciate the good the car gives me, and not dwell on this problem.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #33
norcalpb

Well 3 months since my last post and the noise is still there.

It is the same volume/vibration level as it has always been.

I have done 2 track days since my last post, and funny enough (well it’s not funny) the car does not knock around on track when making right hand turns. I am able to go 10/10 with no noise.

My axles are starting to leak again after like 20k miles lol but the clicking isn’t major at all so we’ll see how far these take me.

Below is a picture of my transmission mount. That metal piece on top is def not angled correctly so tomorrow I will adjust that. Below that pic is a picture of how Subaru transmission mounts have failed in the past. My transmission mount seems to show a bit of fatigue on the passenger side rubber “pillar” but I’ll get a closer look soon. Third is pic is simply bonus photo of the car.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #34
norcalpb

Well guys I finally solved it. Hallelujah. The car drives so smoothly now lol, it almost brought a tear to my eye to finally fix this.

This is mostly an installation error on my part after I removed my old whiteline transmission insert. I must have forgot to keep the silver piece straight when tightening down that 17mm center nut.

So what happened was: the silver rectangle was pressed against the the the transmission mounts rubber walls/turret from my error, but over time the silver piece completely pressed through the rubber and into the metal frame of the transmission mount.

While this is my fault, I wish the shops I went to were a bit more diligent about this. Especially having a shop tell me not to replace it as it looked fine. I guess there was no way of knowing without taking it off. I knew in the end I’d figure it out myself but it still stings haha. At least I was able to give money to shops that are passionate about what I am too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-29-2020), sato (05-23-2020), Sportsguy83 (05-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #35
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Well, at least you found out what it was. Also, you have documented it for us to look at. Pretty sure more people could make the same mistake, and we can all learn from your thread. Thanks for following through and enjoy!
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sato For This Useful Post:
ALWYZBZ (11-04-2020), humfrz (05-24-2020), norcalpb (05-23-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 03:40 AM   #36
ALWYZBZ

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Well guys I finally solved it. Hallelujah. The car drives so smoothly now lol, it almost brought a tear to my eye to finally fix this.

This is mostly an installation error on my part after I removed my old whiteline transmission insert. I must have forgot to keep the silver piece straight when tightening down that 17mm center nut.

So what happened was: the silver rectangle was pressed against the the the transmission mounts rubber walls/turret from my error, but over time the silver piece completely pressed through the rubber and into the metal frame of the transmission mount.

While this is my fault, I wish the shops I went to were a bit more diligent about this. Especially having a shop tell me not to replace it as it looked fine. I guess there was no way of knowing without taking it off. I knew in the end I’d figure it out myself but it still stings haha. At least I was able to give money to shops that are passionate about what I am too.

Thanks!!! I am going to adjust mine also maybe this is my solve too! How did you keep it straight when tightening?
ALWYZBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #37
norcalpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALWYZBZ View Post
Thanks!!! I am going to adjust mine also maybe this is my solve too! How did you keep it straight when tightening?
I just waited for a barely used transmission mount from a 2020 car to pop up for sale. I think I paid $30 shipped. That way the bolt was already straight and tight.

If I had to work my current mount tho, I’d probably just use an adjustable wrench and grab the tip of the metal piece while tightening the nut on the bottom.
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
ALWYZBZ (11-04-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 02:06 AM   #38
ALWYZBZ

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
I just waited for a barely used transmission mount from a 2020 car to pop up for sale. I think I paid $30 shipped. That way the bolt was already straight and tight.

If I had to work my current mount tho, I’d probably just use an adjustable wrench and grab the tip of the metal piece while tightening the nut on the bottom.
Thanks bud you solved one of my random noises!
ALWYZBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ALWYZBZ For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (11-02-2020), Ultramaroon (11-02-2020)