follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Shizzaw

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Back in shop...

So I'm driving home the other night from work. I accelerate on the on-ramp to the freeway when I notice I've lost a lot of power so I floor it. The engine then gets very loud so I pull off the road and before I can even come to a complete stop, it dies. Initial suspicion from the dealer was bearing noise. But after flying in a Toyota guru, I'm told that there are parts on order via a voicemail on my phone. He didn't specify what parts were on order so I called to ask. Turns out it needs a new lower block, cam shafts, and a bunch of other odds and ends. This car only has 3790 miles on it. I was also an unfortunate victim of the CEL issue right after I bought it. Should I be asking for a new car here? California Lemon Law requires the same problem 3 times but if I ever tried to sell this down the road in a few years, anyone who looks at a carfax is gonna see some major engine work was done. I've also lost faith in this NEW car's reliability and when I commute 80 miles each way to work, reliability is something I require.

Last edited by Shizzaw; 11-14-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Shizzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shizzaw For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Couple of questions:

How long was it in the shop for the CEL repair?
What was replaced/repaired/touched?

You may want to look into the lemon laws for CA. I would think the CEL repair plus the engine repair time will exceed the usual 30 day mark for a lemon.

In addition, I would be willing to bet there is a strong correlation between the CEL/idle issue and the engine failure. It sounds like a similar failure others have experienced here.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd bet they're replacing the entire long block (block and heads minus accessories). That's not always a bad thing though.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear that your problems are continuing.

I'd be asking for a new motor at this point myself.

:happy0180:

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Ouch, well you are not the first person to have an engine failure after CEL fix
Afaik the other cars which failed was due to techs not doing their job right.
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
20valvewynn83

Drives: 2013 FRS/01 Tacoma
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Mechanical repairs will not show up on a car fax only your service history and it doesn't change the value
20valvewynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
curious were you on the factory fill of motor oil at that mileage?
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Shizzaw

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospeed View Post
Couple of questions:

How long was it in the shop for the CEL repair?
What was replaced/repaired/touched?

You may want to look into the lemon laws for CA. I would think the CEL repair plus the engine repair time will exceed the usual 30 day mark for a lemon.

In addition, I would be willing to bet there is a strong correlation between the CEL/idle issue and the engine failure. It sounds like a similar failure others have experienced here.
The initial CEL repair was a total of 28 days. They replaced an oil control valve, and ECU. The car has now been there for this repair for 11 days so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
I'd bet they're replacing the entire long block (block and heads minus accessories). That's not always a bad thing though.
Yup. Got a call saying Toyota doesn't want to take a chance with repairs. They are replacing it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valvewynn83 View Post
Mechanical repairs will not show up on a car fax only your service history and it doesn't change the value
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
curious were you on the factory fill of motor oil at that mileage?
Yes I was. But was told it was a full synthetic oil and shouldn't have had to change it until 5000 miles.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Rest easy then, replacing the whole thing its a ton more reliable than rebuilding one that blows up. Todays engines are so very tight on tolerances and oil passages the slightest debris can block one and lock an engine up in a matter of miles.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
Shizzaw (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Shizzaw

Garage
Reading through the California Lemon Law, it appears that if a new vehicle has been disabled for more than 30 days and it's been reported to the manufacturer (I've reported both incidents to Scion Corporate) that I am legally allowed to file for this law. Do you guys recommend filing or just let them replace the engine??
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzaw View Post
Reading through the California Lemon Law, it appears that if a new vehicle has been disabled for more than 30 days and it's been reported to the manufacturer (I've reported both incidents to Scion Corporate) that I am legally allowed to file for this law. Do you guys recommend filing or just let them replace the engine??
I would demand a new car, but that is my opinion and others may be content with an engine rebuild. There are far too many variables when replacing an engine in non factory conditions which could introduce new issues. The stuff people don't think of is the damage to the body, paint, dirt and FOD introduced in the engine and transmission, improper bolt torquing, misaligned splines, improperly adjusted belts, chains, damaged wiring, contamination in various fluids, less than careful mechanics, etc., etc.

Regarding your vehicle history, it may not necessarilly show up in Carfax, but if other buyers are as particular as I am, I always make it a point to get the service history for any used car I plan on purchasing. That would definitely show the details as to what was done to the car and I would walk if any major engine work was performed early in its life.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eurospeed For This Useful Post:
Shizzaw (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
Quote:
I would demand a new car, but that is my opinion and others may be content with an engine rebuild. There are far too many variables when replacing an engine in non factory conditions which could introduce new issues. The stuff people don't think of is the damage to the body, paint, dirt and FOD introduced in the engine and transmission, improper bolt torquing, misaligned splines, improperly adjusted belts, chains, damaged wiring, contamination in various fluids, less than careful mechanics, etc., etc.

Regarding your vehicle history, it may not necessarilly show up in Carfax, but if other buyers are as particular as I am, I always make it a point to get the service history for any used car I plan on purchasing. That would definitely show the details as to what was done to the car and I would walk if any major engine work was performed early in its life.
Honestly, if I was buying a used FR-S or BRZ in a few years, I would probably refrain from the 2013 model year. That is assuming of course this whole CEL thing is a non-issue for 2014 model year and forward.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Shizzaw

Garage
Quote:

Has anyone here ever claimed the lemon law? Am I required to hire a lawyer to serve them with papers or do I just speak to the dealership management about it? Or maybe go through my insurance??
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzaw View Post
Has anyone here ever claimed the lemon law? Am I required to hire a lawyer to serve them with papers or do I just speak to the dealership management about it? Or maybe go through my insurance??
I almost did once. There are attorneys that deal specifically in lemon law cases. Ask the lawyer directly, but it's my understanding that they attempt to recover legal fees from the auto manufacturer and thus it should cost you nothing. Don't go at it alone if you don't have to.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote