follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2021, 02:06 AM   #15
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm aware this thread is about AT but with MTs not having any temperature sensors - is lubrication overheat not a concern on them?
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #16
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Generally it's not, I would be surprised if transmission temps are even 180 degrees with the manual. In the automatic if you're doing back to back runs on a drag strip I bet you could see 210-220.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #17
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Hey, @OfficeLinebacker does your head unit support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay? I can't remember if/when Toyota and Subaru finally put in stock head units that have that available. But if you do, you should be able to run Torque or a similar app if you're on iOS and get your readouts right on your head unit via a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

If it's not already available on your car (I have a feeling it isn't), then you could look into an aftermarket head unit that has it and swap to that. It's certainly not the most cost effective thing, but thankfully there are a lot of head units that just drop right into our dash and prices always come down as tech becomes more commonplace. If it's a capability you'd already like to have in the car and will use it for more than just running an app for car data then it's probably worth it, and keeps you from having to have multiple devices/gauges in the car and more work.

This actually made me curious, having an automatic myself, and there is a Transmission temp readout in the Torque app, but as far as I can tell it just matches up with the coolant temp readout. I may have to go on a bit of a back road run to see if they end up reading any differently from each other, but if not then the reading doesn't seem as helpful as it could be.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
Jappy

Drives: Subaru 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
I'm aware this thread is about AT but with MTs not having any temperature sensors - is lubrication overheat not a concern on them?
As a mechanic, it is not a concern.
Jappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jappy For This Useful Post:
Compelica (05-26-2021)
Old 05-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #19
OfficeLinebacker

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 Base AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Hey, @OfficeLinebacker does your head unit support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay? I can't remember if/when Toyota and Subaru finally put in stock head units that have that available. But if you do, you should be able to run Torque or a similar app if you're on iOS and get your readouts right on your head unit via a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

If it's not already available on your car (I have a feeling it isn't), then you could look into an aftermarket head unit that has it and swap to that. It's certainly not the most cost effective thing, but thankfully there are a lot of head units that just drop right into our dash and prices always come down as tech becomes more commonplace. If it's a capability you'd already like to have in the car and will use it for more than just running an app for car data then it's probably worth it, and keeps you from having to have multiple devices/gauges in the car and more work.

This actually made me curious, having an automatic myself, and there is a Transmission temp readout in the Torque app, but as far as I can tell it just matches up with the coolant temp readout. I may have to go on a bit of a back road run to see if they end up reading any differently from each other, but if not then the reading doesn't seem as helpful as it could be.

Thanks for the tip, man. No my head unit is a stock head unit. Did you ever go on that test drive?
OfficeLinebacker is offline   Reply With Quote