follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 05-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #21869
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
Any pictures/details of the dashcam install? Was looking at the Viofo A129 Duo as well
Put in a 2 channel dashcam 2 days ago as well Street Guardian sg9663dcpro. Unfortunately didn't take photos of the actual install but I just snapped some shots of the finished job. Disregard the power cord running straight down as it's just a temporary power source using the cigarette plug until my external battery arrives (already routed those wires into glove compartment)

I took it super slow but I am also quite OCD. I chose to tuck all of the cables up in the roof liner rather than have some parts up in the liner while other parts under the rubber trim.

Some pointers for the install:

- For the A-piller, it would be a good idea to pop it off and let it loosely hand from the securing clip that keeps the trim attached to the a piller in the event the curtain airbags deploy. I made sure to route the cables behind all the curtain air bag stuff so there is no chance of the cables interfering with the air bag deployment if the cable somehow went across and over the air bags as the cable ran downwards

- You may find it easier to remove the sun visor on the side you plan on tucking the table to give the roof liner a bit more play. Unscrew the 2 screws. The plastic clip for the visor detaches by inserting a flathead on the gap on either sides of the clip to release the claw. Simply pulling will break this clip

- Running the cables in the headliner across the top of the door frame is straight forward, there is lots of play in the hoodliner to allow you to just tuck the cables in with your fingers

- Across the top of the B piller becomes tricky. if you are lazy, you can tuck a bit of the cable under the B-piller trim and call it a day.

If you are OCD and want everything under the roof liner, the B-piller trim has 2 clips that extend inwards to hold the roof liner in place. You will not be able to tuck everything under the roof liner because of these 2 clips and the roof liner will rip if you try forcing it down to tuck the cables.

What you need to do is partially pop the the quarter panel interior trim below the b-piller trim (this will undo 3 white christmas tree clips). This will give you enough room to stick your hand in with a 10mm socket to remove the 2 bolts holding the b-piller trim to the frame. By removing these 2 bolts, the b-piller trim can be partially popped off and shifted down a bit to allow the roof liner enough play to use a trim tool to tuck the cables under the liner.

-Routing the cable from the b-piller around to the rear windshield you will run into the same inward clips on the c piller that will stop you from shoving the cables in with your fingers. undo the claws at the bottom of the c-piller trim to allow you to partially pop the trim pieces off so you can get it to partially pop off enough for some more play in the head liner.

- You will also want to pop the 3 round clips holding the headliner in place to allow you lots of room tucking the cable above the rear windshield under the roof liner

- Some videos suggest the c-piller has lots of room to tuck in excess wire (and you WILL have TONS of excess! I only used half the length of the included cable to connect the front camera to the rear) I do not recommend blindly shoving excess cable into the c-piller due to the presence of the curtain airbags under the panel. Fortunately, you have tons of room under the roof liner in the rear. once you get past the c-piller you can just tuck all the excess stuff you have under the roof liner.

Last edited by saltywetman; 05-10-2020 at 03:27 AM.
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saltywetman For This Useful Post:
Compelica (05-10-2020), humfrz (05-10-2020), ichitaka05 (05-10-2020), MJones_RB (05-11-2020), squall leonhart (05-10-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #21870
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Morning drive!

Nothing too crazy, just exploring some new roads.
Nice shots, need to add that last one to the "Landmark" thread.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (05-09-2020), Overdrive (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #21871
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
Installed 2019 86 TRD edition exhaust today. Glad I finally found someone selling off this version (I prefer it to the D tips).

Not the best pics, but it went pretty smoothly, and I'm pleased with the tone/sound. Deeper and louder, but not irritating. And pretty quiet if you aren't on the throttle (and least, on mine...no other exhaust mods). And fills up the bumper gap much better than stock. I feel like it looks better than it does in these pictures...they look like they poke way out, which isn't the case. They are pretty even with the bumper.

It definitely looks better than the MY15+ tips that, while bigger than the ones that first came on the US-spec cars, are tucked so far in under the diffuser that it just looks odd. Not as odd as the 13/14 tips, but not as good as what you've got there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
squall leonhart (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 02:28 AM   #21872
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
Put in a 2 channel dashcam 2 days ago as well Street Guardian sg9663dcpro. Unfortunately didn't take photos of the actual install but I just snapped some shots of the finished job. Disregard the power cord running straight down as it's just a temporary power source using the cigarette plug until my external battery arrives (already routed those wires into glove compartment)
I no see pictures -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 03:20 AM   #21873
saltywetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I no see pictures -
Tried fixing the image links, wonder if it works now
The Following User Says Thank You to saltywetman For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #21874
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Morning drive!

Nothing too crazy, just exploring some new roads.

Just a tad jealous here! 99.5% of the roads here are just straight, flat grid lines surrounded by cornfields.

Very nice
squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squall leonhart For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #21875
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
Just a tad jealous here! 99.5% of the roads here are just straight, flat grid lines surrounded by cornfields.

Very nice
Thanks! Yeah definitely lucky to have some nice driving roads around here.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #21876
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Man, Street Guardian look just like Viofo. Are you going to hardwire it?

Blackboxmycar sells a kit that can hardwire, so I'm using those as to hardwire.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #21877
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for this - those tips will help when it comes to my installation

I'm OCD too when it comes to these things, which could be a really bad thing at times. I'm thinking of going the hardwire route as well, but that means I would need to get the larger fuse box 3D printed to fit the fuse addon which leads to additional work. And here's hoping those wires don't make any more unwanted sounds that I don't need!
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #21878
saltywetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Man, Street Guardian look just like Viofo. Are you going to hardwire it?

Blackboxmycar sells a kit that can hardwire, so I'm using those as to hardwire.
My original plans was to hotwire so bought the hardwire kit and 3d printed fuse box cover, but then i'm a bit worried with the 86's battery being pretty small that it would weaken the battery enough that it would be problematic in the cold winters up here in Canada. The choice was either to get an optima yellowtop or one of those external battery packs.

Decided to go the external battery pack as it was only very slightly more than a new yellow top. Went with the Cellink Neo battery as it was a tad cheaper than the blackvue one (apparently the internal cells were the same according to dashcamtalk forum). The external battery packs require a hardwire kit if you want to minimize excess wiring as well. I'm a bit undecided on whether I will use the cigarette lighter in the glove compartment to plug in the battery pack while keeping the pack there (easier install but slower charging) or hardwire the battery pack to the the fuse box.

There was someone in an old post that mentioned someone making an adapter hat utilizes the unused extra plug on the headunit harness that has a 12v constant/12v acc/ and ground wires all in it. This option may also by pass the need to use fuse taps and the non-fitting OEM fusecover problem too. Not sure if that guy still makes these adapters as the post is quite old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
Thanks for this - those tips will help when it comes to my installation

I'm OCD too when it comes to these things, which could be a really bad thing at times. I'm thinking of going the hardwire route as well, but that means I would need to get the larger fuse box 3D printed to fit the fuse addon which leads to additional work. And here's hoping those wires don't make any more unwanted sounds that I don't need!
Yeah the top of the b piller trims and the top edge of the c piller trims are the trickiest as both has 2 claws that extend further under the roof liner so you need to get enough play on both so that you are able to slip the cable over the top of the clips. so that it goes fully under the roof liner.

Doing it the quick and lazy way without partially removal trim, you can tuck some of the cable under the rubber door seals then into the grooves of top of the b-piller but because of those 2 small clips at the top, you will still have tiny bits of the cable showing at the locations of the clips since the grooves are much shallower there. Same goes for the sections of the c-piller trim with those clips

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal..._rm_index.html

The repair manual gives you a good idea of where the clips are located under the trim panels to help you with partially removing them to give you more play in the head liner. A lot of those steps will be overkill so you just want to look at the pictures for reference on where the clips are located so you can work certain areas free without risk of breaking them by blindly trying to pop the trim off
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saltywetman For This Useful Post:
Compelica (05-11-2020), humfrz (05-10-2020), ichitaka05 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #21879
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,133 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Ordered some new pads, away bar end links and new brake hardware.

This also arrived and I forgot they use an 86 on the can.
Attached Images

RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (05-11-2020), Ultramaroon (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #21880
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Wired up the JDM Reverse Light /w Fog Lamp ("fourth brake light") through the cabin and fuse tapped it into the front fog lights for full switching functionality
Attached Images

EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Busybee (05-11-2020), MJones_RB (05-12-2020), Overdrive (05-11-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #21881
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Ordered some new pads, away bar end links and new brake hardware.

This also arrived and I forgot they use an 86 on the can.
That isn't tar behind the wheels though. That is melted rubber from the shear power of the car. Happens to me all the time.
tarzan_nojane (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #21882
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,133 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That isn't tar behind the wheels though. That is melted rubber from the shear power of the car. Happens to me all the time.
They should be including a can of this stuff with every purchase of an 86.

Side note, all of my delayed orders have decided to all arrive within two days. Caliper paint took the longest which is odd since they're Canadian based.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-12-2020)

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby