follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
Unidentified

Drives: Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Invidia N1 Catback for daily driving?

Anybody here on Invidia N1 Catback? Is it too loud? Im trying to search for the sound of the exhaust while inside the car. Im in between the Greddy Sp elite and invidia n1 catback for daily driving. Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks
Unidentified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidentified View Post
Anybody here on Invidia N1 Catback? Is it too loud? Im trying to search for the sound of the exhaust while inside the car. Im in between the Greddy Sp elite and invidia n1 catback for daily driving. Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks
Has some drone to it from what I've heard. If you upgrade further past the catback, then it gets really loud and drones even more with a front pipe and header.

I put a Q300 on my car since I went with a catless header. Most of the sound is all outside and behind. Pretty tame and quiet inside the cabin like the Perrin resonated. Almost can hear more noise from the aftermarket header in the engine bay.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
Unidentified (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have the N1, I have the silencers installed on it, when I start up my car in my apt underground building's parking lot, I will wake up 1 or 2 car alarms. (I blame much of it on being a closed space).

With the car on the road, I prefer it with the silencers on, it allows me to listen properly to my car radio (I did spend quite a bit there, so why not enjoy the sound system?). The silencer makes quite a difference.

Installing and uninstalling the silencers is a piece of cake. So I take them out when I plan on trackday or autocross. and the car does sound great and amazing without the silencers.

Yesterday I was talking to 2 friends who are looking to buy the N1, and both agreed that they would use the N1 without silencers. The car is more racecar-ish with the noise. I guess it's a matter of opinion, my advice to you, is to find someone who has it already and listen to it.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OnionTou For This Useful Post:
Unidentified (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Liehtw8

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
I have the N1 on mine. IMO it's just fine for daily driving. A little bit of drone hear and there but nothing thats unbearable. Even took the car on a 8000km road trip this summer and never thought twice about it (silencers out)
Liehtw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
Mike86

Drives: Scion frs
Yeah i run the n1 as a daily drive with resonates fromt pipte and over pipe and its fine by me not too loud for now well see when i get my header but damn i love the sound!!
Mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I guess I'm the dissenter. I bought the car with N1's installed, 400 mile trip was all it took for me to swap back to original. ~3000 rpm causes a resonating drone that shakes the car, engine load magnifies it. In my case, I had to turn the radio up so loud just to hear it, that it gave me headaches. I had a passanger in back (yes full sized adult), and conversation was very difficult while moving. If you are just going for looks, sound, knock yourself out, you will be noticed. Performance doesn't show very much of a gain, and only in the upper rpm's. Also to note, from what I have read, the stock muffler is aero, and helps blend air under the car to the rear diffuser. the N1's leave a large void in the center. I have no proof of this being true or a problem at all, just what I read.

But If you are interested anyway, I want to sell mine. it came without silencers, will need new gaskets, and will sell shiped in US for $420.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Target70 For This Useful Post:
akahenry (01-09-2014), Clipdat (01-10-2014), flippy (09-25-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I liked the N1 when I was just running it by itself. I think it would be pretty loud for a daily driver if you went with a complete exhaust system with header + overpipe + front pipe + N1 catback.

But by itself, after break in and carbon build up I liked it a lot for a DD car.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Insano For This Useful Post:
Unidentified (01-17-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Pair the N1 with a helmholtz resonated frontpipe and the drone disappears even with a borla UEL

Without the resonated frontpipe its drone city
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
akahenry (01-09-2014), Mike86 (01-10-2014), mixtape (06-18-2016), zoth (09-25-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
Unidentified

Drives: Raven
Thanks everyone! Im still in between the two. Anybody had experience with Greddy Sp Elite? What if i only install the Invidia N1 without upgrading the headers. Is it still too loud?
Unidentified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Let me give put in my two cents. The Greddy SP Elite is literally like stock, maybe two or four decibels louder, while the Invidia N1 would be roughly around 90 to 95 decibels. The Greddy SP Elite is great if you're going for the close-to-stock sound and would be a terrific daily driver (zero drone). The Invidia N1 is quite a bit louder than the SP Elite, nothing track pipe loud, but nevertheless significantly louder than the SP. If I were you, I'd go with something else as a daily driver- perhaps the Invidia Q300, Nameless axleback, Ark GRiP/DT-S, or M7 T-Titan. Those are the the cat backs that off the top of my head that I know that don't have too much resonance in the cabin/ drone. With this said, keep in mind that, with any exhaust upgrade comes some sort of increase of noise- whether in cabin or exterior.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akahenry For This Useful Post:
Steve (02-07-2017), Unidentified (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
I guess I'm the dissenter. I bought the car with N1's installed, 400 mile trip was all it took for me to swap back to original. ~3000 rpm causes a resonating drone that shakes the car, engine load magnifies it. In my case, I had to turn the radio up so loud just to hear it, that it gave me headaches. I had a passanger in back (yes full sized adult), and conversation was very difficult while moving. If you are just going for looks, sound, knock yourself out, you will be noticed. Performance doesn't show very much of a gain, and only in the upper rpm's. Also to note, from what I have read, the stock muffler is aero, and helps blend air under the car to the rear diffuser. the N1's leave a large void in the center. I have no proof of this being true or a problem at all, just what I read.
What Target says is definitely true, that's why I run mine with the silencers on. My car only has the frontpipe and the catback and I bought FT86Speedfactory's diffuser to help the rear aero.

My 2 friends who liked the N1 sound without the silencers are a lot younger than me, they joke because I'm 34 I'm too old for it without the silencers.

I still think the best advice is to hear it and decide on your own. One of my friends thought it would be too loud, when he heard it he said it was exactly what he wanted. He said there are too many trolls on the web saying it's not right.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
speedrye

Drives: 2007 FJ 6MT & 2013 FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionTou View Post
What Target says is definitely true, that's why I run mine with the silencers on. My car only has the frontpipe and the catback and I bought FT86Speedfactory's diffuser to help the rear aero.

My 2 friends who liked the N1 sound without the silencers are a lot younger than me, they joke because I'm 34 I'm too old for it without the silencers.

I still think the best advice is to hear it and decide on your own. One of my friends thought it would be too loud, when he heard it he said it was exactly what he wanted. He said there are too many trolls on the web saying it's not right.
I did the same as Target and bought a car with the N1 already on it. The sound was great and fine for normal driving, but the drone around 3k rpm was the deal breaker for me. Even my wife was fine with the noise, especially once she heard that it was more quiet outside the car than in. I've stuck the silencers in there and am happy with the sound levels and the exhaust note is still more aggressive than the stock cars I've seen.

If I had FI, I'd probably leave the N1 un-silenced because the car would actually have the power to back up the sound.
speedrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post

But If you are interested anyway, I want to sell mine. it came without silencers, will need new gaskets, and will sell shiped in US for $420.
This is why I went with the Q300. I had to keep my JDL UEL quieter and I wanted the aero effect of the large muffler.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionTou View Post

I'm... I can't remember how old I am.. 33 I think, born in 81, drove a stripped out s13 for years without any problem, but the n1 resonance under load washes out all other sound, almost like white noise. That and also with how it sounds In the car I don't want to draw the wrong type of attention from 6 blocks away when I do get up to high revs:
Officer #1, which way did he go?
Officer #2, Just follow that sound.

but like everybody else has said, go to a club meet or something, and listen for yourself.. or find a cheap used one from somebody on the forum.. *cough*http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55410 *cough* try it out, and if you like it good, if not sell it for what you paid for it

Last edited by Target70; 01-10-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote