follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
ssyed

Drives: 2013 Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZbro View Post
*** HEADS UP FOR PEOPLE WANTING THE EVO3 EXHAUST ***
They are no longer selling this exhaust. It is discontinued!
I'm glad its discontinued. That exhaust needs a revised version with massive drone resonators built in.
ssyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #16
Titanmotorsports

Drives: Supra
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Titanmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZbro View Post
*** HEADS UP FOR PEOPLE WANTING THE EVO3 EXHAUST ***
They are no longer selling this exhaust. It is discontinued!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyed View Post
I'm glad its discontinued. That exhaust needs a revised version with massive drone resonators built in.
They are working on a revised version to be released next year
Titanmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
mike7792

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanmotorsports View Post
Is there more information regarding this? I was contemplating buying this exhaust
mike7792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #18
BRZbro

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanmotorsports View Post
I hope so! I was really excited about this exhaust. I am willing to wait (just very impatient) I think its a really great price, bigger than 2.5", nice and loud. I hope some company has some kinda of presale or something for a good price.
BRZbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #19
Titanmotorsports

Drives: Supra
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Titanmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7792 View Post
Is there more information regarding this? I was contemplating buying this exhaust

I'm sorry as there isn't anymore information on this.
Titanmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #20
BRZBYE

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited, Black)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7792 View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76409
BRZBYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #21
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like what you experienced is what I am currently experiencing. I purchased the JDL UEL headers and went with full 3" overpipe frontpipe and catback. It is too LOUD and I am looking to fix the sound problem. I want to keep the header for the boxer rumble, but want to tone down the loudness. What are your thoughts on going with something like the Greddy SP Elite catback, or should I just stick with stock?
Quote:
I've owned both of these with JDL UEL headers and Nameless DownPipe(FP/OP Combo with drone resonator)

Initially went with the Evo. Before you read below, keep in mind, I don't mind loud, this exhaust is one of the loudest you can get.

Outside the car, the tips looked amazing, it sounded AMAZING, love that deep rumbly boxer note and I heard every bit of that glorious rumble inside the car. However, I hated driving cuz of the drone. It actually ruined all the fun of this car for me. I am sure some of you love the drone, but I don't. The drone isnt only from 3-4k . It's there up until 5K. I would say it was completely unbearable for me from 2-5K. Which is majority of the driving. Imagine driving on highway; drone drone city. Want to talk to your passenger? Good luck, you will be screaming majority of the time. want to enjoy listening to music? Might as well just throw out all the speakers you have in the car unless u plan on playing music at extremely loud volume. Since I couldn't simply bare it any more, I got the nameless down pipe with the drone resonator built in to reduce drone. Did it reduce the drone of the evo? Yeah it was slightly less, but we're talking like 10% less based on my guess but it changed nothing for me. It was still TOO much. After a lot of: damn I can't take it anymore. I swapped my exhaust with someone.

Switched the the DT-S. Love the car. Love the sound, I can talk to passenger, listen to music and answer a phone call. Its not as rumbly as the evo 3, man do I miss that rumble. But it beats having the drone any day for me. Compared to the evo, there is absolutely no drone at all. The exhaust sounds really good. There are two things I don't like about this exhaust. I miss the rumble and the tips stick out too much from the bumper. They're 4" tips, HUGE. I would be happier if they were slightly smaller. Also the size of it is 2.5" vs 2.75" compared to evo.

If I was to do this all over again, I might have gone with Perrin 3" resonated.

I hope no one takes offence to it, not trying to start a war here. This is my personal view and opinion.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #22
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Sounds like what you experienced is what I am currently experiencing. I purchased the JDL UEL headers and went with full 3" overpipe frontpipe and catback. It is too LOUD and I am looking to fix the sound problem. I want to keep the header for the boxer rumble, but want to tone down the loudness. What are your thoughts on going with something like the Greddy SP Elite catback, or should I just stick with stock?

You have a full 3 inch headerback, of course that's where your issue stems, you should weld a vibrant resonator into the front pipe, and then combine it with a greddy evo 3, the harshness you described to should for the most part disappear
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #23
ssyed

Drives: 2013 Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you're finding it too loud, I'd prefer a quieter exhaust. Personally I wouldn't go with stock exhaust on headers. When it comes to the boxer rumble, I loved how the jdl sounded with the Evo3 and not all exhausts rumble sound the same. Don't forget about sound when you're hunting for a quieter exhaust. Sp elite and invidia Q300 are two exhausts that would be quieter. I think the Perrin 2.5" resonated is also quiet and sounds decent.

Quote:
ssyed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ssyed For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #24
Chad86

Garage
Quote:
If you're finding it too loud, I'd prefer a quieter exhaust. Personally I wouldn't go with stock exhaust on headers. When it comes to the boxer rumble, I loved how the jdl sounded with the Evo3 and not all exhausts rumble sound the same. Don't forget about sound when you're hunting for a quieter exhaust. Sp elite and invidia Q300 are two exhausts that would be quieter. I think the Perrin 2.5" resonated is also quiet and sounds decent.
I don't really want to go back to the stock exhaust. My header is uncatted and I'm wondering if going with a 2.5" exhaust like the SP Elite will still be too loud. I read in other posts people were adding the HKS catted front pipe to this configuration. My other option would be to lose the uncatted header and just switch to the SP Elite, but I want a bit of the Subie rumble without reverberating my cranium.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #25
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I don't really want to go back to the stock exhaust. My header is uncatted and I'm wondering if going with a 2.5" exhaust like the SP Elite will still be too loud. I read in other posts people were adding the HKS catted front pipe to this configuration. My other option would be to lose the uncatted header and just switch to the SP Elite, but I want a bit of the Subie rumble without reverberating my cranium.

The uel is giving you a major power increase, in fact that's the only thing doing so honestly, keep that and change the others
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Chad86 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #26
Chad86

Garage
Don't forget the supercharger. What exhaust are you running with your headers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
The uel is giving you a major power increase, in fact that's the only thing doing so honestly, keep that and change the others
Old 05-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #27
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Don't forget the supercharger. What exhaust are you running with your headers?

Stock catback and front pipe, will be purchasing a nameless axleback at the end of this month. It gives the most refined sound that doesn't drone because you keep the stock frontpipe and midpipe resonators
Chad86 (05-24-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 01:31 AM   #28
Chad86

Garage
I've started looking at the ARK DT-S again. It's ironic, as this is what I had originally planned to get. Do you still have this exhaust and do you have a header?
Quote:

Tags
ark, evo3, exhaust, greddy