follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #99
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwaxsmitty View Post
I hope that dyno display can be removed.
Would be nice, but at least it isn't embarrassing any more.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #100
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I hope that dyno display can be removed.
well its one of several options, so just scroll past it and display something else instead.
Might not be removable, but you can choose never to show it lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #101
surfwaxsmitty

Drives: '14 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
well its one of several options, so just scroll past it and display something else instead.
Might not be removable, but you can choose never to show it lol.
Awesome! thats the goal. I am only familiar with the early gen 1 cluster so was not sure if that was an option.
surfwaxsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #102
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Awesome! thats the goal. I am only familiar with the early gen 1 cluster so was not sure if that was an option.
in the gen 1 refresh uplevel cluster you get to scroll between the power/dyno chart, a G meter, lap timer, additional gauges (like oil pressure and battery charge), trip computer (for mpg, trip odo, etc)
Obviously the additional gauges or the trip computer items would be far more useful than the other stuff, so those would be the most likely to be shown all the time.

I think the gen 2 cluster scrolls through the same things on the left side with the right side having fixed temp and fuel gauges.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #103
ng-86

Drives: 18' 50th An. BRZ, 79' RX7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
in the gen 1 refresh uplevel cluster you get to scroll between the power/dyno chart, a G meter, lap timer, additional gauges (like oil pressure and battery charge), trip computer (for mpg, trip odo, etc)
Hopefully the G meter isn't so hopelessly useless in North America like it is on my 2018 BRZ.
ng-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #104
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Just how much time do some of you guys spend staring at your dash to even register gauge refresh rates?
The point is that for some people the responsive speedometer is important. If it's not important enough for you, that doesn't mean it's not important for everybody.

It's like some people have outdoor thermometers at home and some don't need them. "Seat of pants" and all that stuff.

Personally I think it's important for a speedometer to be precise not only in what speed they're showing, but when they're showing it. I don't care what speed I was going up to 0.25 seconds ago, I care about what speed I'm going now. If it's up to 0.25 seconds late, it also means that it's up to 3 mph wrong when I'm braking; whether on the track, or on a highway when I spot a police car.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #105
timurrrr

But I do agree that this is not worth 8 pages of a discussion lol.

I just hope that it's ~10 Hz from the factory, or at least that someone comes up with an easy tweak for the software.

In the worst case, I'll try to I find time to make a DIY speedo with blackjack and HUDers.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #106
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
"OH cop ahead"
.005 second glance at speedometer
"I'm good".
Unfortunately Colorado cops are much better at hiding and tend to do it on downhills and in acceleration zones. If I'm accelerating I'm watching the speedo out of the corner of my eye so I let off near the speed limit. Any time I'm driving along and not using cruise control I check it every 30 seconds or so. Too bad cops around here aren't as vigilant about turn signal use as speeding. They could probably make more money and I could relax and keep my eyes entirely on the road.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #107
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
Unfortunately Colorado cops are much better at hiding and tend to do it on downhills and in acceleration zones. If I'm accelerating I'm watching the speedo out of the corner of my eye so I let off near the speed limit. Any time I'm driving along and not using cruise control I check it every 30 seconds or so. Too bad cops around here aren't as vigilant about turn signal use as speeding. They could probably make more money and I could relax and keep my eyes entirely on the road.
laser jammer and a radar detector?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #108
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
The point is that for some people the responsive speedometer is important. If it's not important enough for you, that doesn't mean it's not important for everybody.

It's like some people have outdoor thermometers at home and some don't need them. "Seat of pants" and all that stuff.

Personally I think it's important for a speedometer to be precise not only in what speed they're showing, but when they're showing it. I don't care what speed I was going up to 0.25 seconds ago, I care about what speed I'm going now. If it's up to 0.25 seconds late, it also means that it's up to 3 mph wrong when I'm braking; whether on the track, or on a highway when I spot a police car.
I don't think anyone is arguing that it's not important to you. I believe what most people are still confused by is why it's so important to you.

You're talking about quarter-second accuracy on a display that is legally allowed to be off by as much as 4 mph. This is combined with the fact that in any spirited driving, the speedo is pretty much the last thing you need to be spending enough time staring at to determine that it's a quarter-second behind.

So yeah, we all like what we like and we all have our weird things and I'm down with that too. It's not about kink-shaming here. I'm still just trying to understand in what way this level of expected precision is a) necessary and b) actually noticeable in anything outside of a laboratory environment.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-29-2021), Tcoat (04-30-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 07:47 PM   #109
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
You're talking about quarter-second accuracy on a display that is legally allowed to be off by as much as 4 mph.
The law is written for all cars.
I don't mind if a Camry I rent on a business trip has a digital speedometer with a slow refresh rate.

We're talking about a sport car though, that is advertised as being able to carry four spare tires for a track day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I'm still just trying to understand in what way this level of expected precision is a) necessary and b) actually noticeable in anything outside of a laboratory environment.
See above my comment on this thread a few pages ago: track driving.
When I track out from T6 at Laguna Seca and I see 78 mph on the speedometer, does it mean that
I've nailed that corner (that's a pretty decent exit speed for GT Radial SX2s I use in 86DC) or does it
mean it's still showing the speed I had before the corner?

Any learning process accelerates by having high quality positive/negative reinforcement delivered ASAP
(as opposed to data analysis after the session, or even at home). When it comes to track driving, in
in certain types of corners the exit speed is a very high quality signal. Definitely higher quality than seat
of pants of most people I've talked to, if we exclude for very experienced track drivers and actual racers.
In some longer corners (such as T2 at Thunderhill), knowing your typical speed can help quickly you
sanity-check how close your are (or the driver is, if you're the coach) to the limit.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #110
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't mind if a Camry I rent on a business trip has a digital speedometer with a slow refresh rate..
The legal accuracy has nothing to do with refresh rate, as I explained earlier. A vehicle on the road is legally required to NOT show you driving slower than you are actually going, so manufacturers intentionally build in a bias that shows you going faster than you are.

You then have, on top of that, the fact that your speedometer is likely calibrated for a medium-wear tire of the size shipped on your car. This introduces further error.

So, in the end, all a faster refresh rate give you is the approximate speed at a theoretical faster rate.

But hey, you want what you want, and I hope you get it. I'd be good with a faster rate as well, but I truly had never thought about it until you brought it up.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Dake (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #111
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't mind if a Camry I rent on a business trip has a digital speedometer with a slow refresh rate.

We're talking about a sport car though, that is advertised as being able to carry four spare tires for a track day.

See above my comment on this thread a few pages ago: track driving.
When I track out from T6 at Laguna Seca and I see 78 mph on the speedometer, does it mean that
I've nailed that corner (that's a pretty decent exit speed for GT Radial SX2s I use in 86DC) or does it
mean it's still showing the speed I had before the corner?

Any learning process accelerates by having high quality positive/negative reinforcement delivered ASAP
(as opposed to data analysis after the session, or even at home). When it comes to track driving, in
in certain types of corners the exit speed is a very high quality signal. Definitely higher quality than seat
of pants of most people I've talked to, if we exclude for very experienced track drivers and actual racers.
In some longer corners (such as T2 at Thunderhill), knowing your typical speed can help quickly you
sanity-check how close your are (or the driver is, if you're the coach) to the limit.
Right. I'm saying the chances that you look at the speedo in that exact quarter second and that it makes any significant difference over all are negligible. You may be just that good, but we're not talking Formula 1 here.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #112
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
... your speedometer is likely calibrated for a medium-wear tire of the size shipped on your car. This introduces further error. So, in the end, all a faster refresh rate give you is the approximate speed at a theoretical faster rate.
Yeah, but as long as your reference speed was set on similarly-worn tires (e.g. previous lap), it doesn't matter if both are off by X%.
I don't think a bald tire vs new tire will generate more than 1 mph off up to ~100 mph.

I actually did check my speedo against GPS a few times when debugging some other data longs,
along with the underlying data sent over the OBD and CAN bus.
Surprisingly on that occasion it was 100% accurate when driving at constant speed on a straight flat highway.
I'm not talking about a single sample, I'm talking about hundreds of samples across multiple drives on different sets of same spec tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-29-2021)