follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2021, 01:35 PM   #29
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I ran the Greddy snorkel for the better part of 2 years. In the rain and automatic touch-less car washes with many psi's of water spraying at the intake. Water is an non issue unless you decide to ford a flooded road. haha
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-29-2021), Turdinator (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #30
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So the snorkel wont add any tuning or MAF scale issue, am I correct?

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:17 PM   #31
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
So the snorkel wont add any tuning or MAF scale issue, am I correct?

Thanks!

You are correct.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-30-2021), Teseo (03-23-2023)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #32
botbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
You are correct.
Great, I will mine on later this week. It has been sitting in my garage for few months.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2021, 09:07 PM   #33
czellers

Drives: 2K19 GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Great, I will mine on later this week. It has been sitting in my garage for few months.

Thanks!
The skunk2 intake has a built in snorkel.. the filter housing and snorkel are all one piece and the filter is sealed inside the box. Super clean setup, awesome quality, and you get the best of both worlds between volume and cooler IAT. You can run it in 2 different configurations the difference being the inside diameter of the intake tube as its adjustable.
Attached Images

czellers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to czellers For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 11:04 AM   #34
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Greddy VS. HKS intake duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by czellers View Post
The skunk2 intake has a built in snorkel.. the filter housing and snorkel are all one piece and the filter is sealed inside the box. Super clean setup, awesome quality, and you get the best of both worlds between volume and cooler IAT. You can run it in 2 different configurations the difference being the inside diameter of the intake tube as its adjustable.

Sorry but that is BS as it is drawing air from the same area as the stock location. Behind the bumper cover above the crash bar.

The Greddy, HKS, and Legsport intake snorkel extends to beneath the "mustache", though I doubt even they have much effect on IAT.

Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 03-31-2021 at 11:17 AM.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:31 AM   #35
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Sorry but that is BS as it is drawing air from the same area as the stock location. Behind the bumper cover above the crash bar.

The Greddy, HKS, and Legsport intake snorkel extends to beneath the "mustache", though I doubt even they have much effect on IAT.
Ummm, no... not BS.The factory air dam that spans the gap between the crash bar and upper radiator support is gone so the a/c condenser acts like a directional air baffle to the "mouth" of the intake.

The hks and injen you can see through the grille mesh, but the opening is far smaller and allows for water to enter directly (not that it would realistically make it to/through the filter). The skunk2 is tucked up in the factory location but it's fundamentally different than stock for all the reasons mentioned above.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #36
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Ummm, no... not BS.The factory air dam that spans the gap between the crash bar and upper radiator support is gone so the a/c condenser acts like a directional air baffle to the "mouth" of the intake.

The hks and injen you can see through the grille mesh, but the opening is far smaller and allows for water to enter directly (not that it would realistically make it to/through the filter). The skunk2 is tucked up in the factory location but it's fundamentally different than stock for all the reasons mentioned above.

If you think removing that air damn and feeding turbulent air to a directional baffle is improving anything I don't know what to tell you. That is the reason OEM's went to drawing clear air from behind bumper covers. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum for years.

Post the data logs if you want to prove something.

Still waiting on the data logs in the other thread about the MAF placement on that intake giving inconsistent MAF voltage.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:40 PM   #37
czellers

Quote:
If you think removing that air damn and feeding turbulent air to a directional baffle is improving anything I don't know what to tell you. That is the reason OEM's went to drawing clear air from behind bumper covers. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum for years.

Post the data logs if you want to prove something.

Still waiting on the data logs in the other thread about the MAF placement on that intake giving inconsistent MAF voltage.
Right, just like forced induction, catless header, E85, really anything that didn't come from the factory.. many people in this forum have chosen to modify their cars. Once modified, a tune will/should follow. I'll get them in an hour so.

That's what is funny to me though.. I not out to prove anything to anyone. I like modifying and learning. I get that a lot of people are hung up on hp/tq and dollars spent. I'm not in that boat so I do what I want, how I want, the ensuing results are part of the journey/process. My only point is that it's reasonable to assume that a more direct and unimpeded air flow will likely have an affect on IAT. Does it also have the potential to create turbulent air, SURE! But I see a lot of people just saying, "it's more turbulent!".. ok is that a volumetric issue, is it the way the air physically flows, a combination of those 2 plus maybe others? Who knows, but im getting my MAF rescaled soon so who knows!? It's all temporary until my second garage is built then I'll start the forced induction and live/learn that process too! It's not as serious as people here make it out to be FFS... I guess maybe if you're modifying your daily, in which case, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes"...

Just because exhaust mods require less tuning than say the intake system would, that doesn't mean comprehensively addressing airflow from front to rear is just a bad idea or unsafe..

AGAIN, there's a good chance half the people who slam this stuff are the same running jacked up tunes to make their car pop/bang for some odd reason... everyone needs to relax imo.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #38
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Right, just like forced induction, catless header, E85, really anything that didn't come from the factory.. many people in this forum have chosen to modify their cars. Once modified, a tune will/should follow. I'll get them in an hour so.

That's what is funny to me though.. I not out to prove anything to anyone. I like modifying and learning. I get that a lot of people are hung up on hp/tq and dollars spent. I'm not in that boat so I do what I want, how I want, the ensuing results are part of the journey/process. My only point is that it's reasonable to assume that a more direct and unimpeded air flow will likely have an affect on IAT. Does it also have the potential to create turbulent air, SURE! But I see a lot of people just saying, "it's more turbulent!".. ok is that a volumetric issue, is it the way the air physically flows, a combination of those 2 plus maybe others? Who knows, but im getting my MAF rescaled soon so who knows!? It's all temporary until my second garage is built then I'll start the forced induction and live/learn that process too! It's not as serious as people here make it out to be FFS... I guess maybe if you're modifying your daily, in which case, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes"...

Just because exhaust mods require less tuning than say the intake system would, that doesn't mean comprehensively addressing airflow from front to rear is just a bad idea or unsafe..

AGAIN, there's a good chance half the people who slam this stuff are the same running jacked up tunes to make their car pop/bang for some odd reason... everyone needs to relax imo.
Your not getting more direct and unimpeded flow with that intake. What do you think the air is doing when it hits the cooling stack, just sit there?

You are missing the point bud, and it is likely not that serious, it is just something that we have all brought up. The issue is that the OE fuel injection system is MAF referenced, so if you are feeding the MAF a buffeted airflow it isn't going to behave consistently at the same loads. That is why we mentioned in the other thread the MAF placement on your intake so close to the air filter and asking for logs on MAF voltage. Even a MAF rescale can not help this. Has nothing to do with how much the intake is flowing. It likely amounts to F' all but we asked out of curiosity to get a data point.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:39 PM   #39
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
This should be good.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:07 PM   #40
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
This should be good.

It's all really moot in the end.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #41
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

It's all really moot in the end.

I was just very interested about seeing the data logs.
NoHaveMSG (03-31-2021), x808drifter (04-01-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #42
botbs

Quote:
Your not getting more direct and unimpeded flow with that intake. What do you think the air is doing when it hits the cooling stack, just sit there?

You are missing the point bud, and it is likely not that serious, it is just something that we have all brought up. The issue is that the OE fuel injection system is MAF referenced, so if you are feeding the MAF a buffeted airflow it isn't going to behave consistently at the same loads. That is why we mentioned in the other thread the MAF placement on your intake so close to the air filter and asking for logs on MAF voltage. Even a MAF rescale can not help this. Has nothing to do with how much the intake is flowing. It likely amounts to F' all but we asked out of curiosity to get a data point.
So in summary, it is not a good idea to install it right as it will mess up the tuning? Thanks!