follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Should Toyota abolish the Scion brand?
Abolish the Scion brand and use Toyota 133 48.36%
Abolish the Scion brand and come with a sports exclusive brand 27 9.82%
I don't care, keep the Scion brand 115 41.82%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #29
shishand

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
honestly, im disgusted by those scion box cars.. there aimed for teens can i testify as a teen those cars are the ugliest piece of shits i have ever seen in my life.. thats why i dont like the scion logo on my baby

but still, its my just opnion, and i still vote to keep the brand, just this diamond under the Toyota brand not scion...
shishand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #30
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I remember before I discovered the frs, I went on the record saying "I will never buy a Scion". The problem was that Toyota had no fun, interesting cars. If you look at their Japanese lineup, you'll find the Scion xB, xA, iQ, and tC. They're relatively more stylish (compared to other Toyotas), but they still aren't stylish or sporty enough to capture the young, hip market they were trying to attract in the US with the brand Scion. It just seemed like such a swing and a miss to me. Scion became a brand for all the cars that were just slightly "too japanese" for the American pallet.

In the past 10 years, Toyota has become the punchline for every "beige, boring car" joke. So they already had a bad rep outside of Japan. They needed Scion in order to sell their more liberal-designed, youthful cars in the US.

With the success of the FRS, I believe Scion will stay around for a long time. The brand is becoming more familiar to people as a "sports car" brand. So I imagine Toyota will take note and build more fun, cheap cars since they know the market is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb99 View Post
If they get rid of Scion, the FR-S will probably become a rare car
Imagine all the people suddenly rebadging their Toyotas as Scions hahaha

PS: this thread is stupid.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
wbradley (02-05-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
Jared0934

Drives: Strawberry Pie
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I guarantee this has been said, but I don't feel like sifting through even 2 pages of this discussion to find out. You ungrateful punk (not really :-P ), Toyota did you the deed by letting Scion sell to us. Ask all the BRZ owners how they felt paying 5-7k hype mark ups. I'd rather buy it at a sticker price and pay 30 bucks for the toyota badges rather than pay $5,000 for the mark up and get the toyota badges with it.
Jared0934 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jared0934 For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #32
kthxbai

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzbiohazard View Post
Anybody know price differences in us$$$ from the frs and gt86?
Lowest GT86 trim is about 24,995£ = $39,392. For me the GT86 would be completely out of my reach and like many FR-S/BRZ owners we worked very hard to afford this car at it`s current US price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Eh the OP is just a badge whore that's trolling. Let the kid have his fun, and don't take it too personal.
I agree with you, however I think some of the forum members are tiring of the OPs almost constant rag on the Scion brand/FR-S as a whole. If one could consider what the Scion brands mission is as a company, then one could consider the reason why Toyota made the FR-S a Scion. Buyers is Japan begged Toyota to bring out a mono-spec GT86 because they wanted a blank slate to make the car their own. Heck, there are Japanese car enthusiasts who are replacing their Toyota badges on their GT86 with Scion badges as we speak!

At the end of the day, every is entitled their opinions. However, it just gets old when your opinion is the same, day in and day out.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #33
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
having the scion brand is pointless IMO... i dont know if its all dealers but from what ive seen toyota and scion are always in the same building
my parents are HUGE toyota/lexus fans and they didnt know about the scion brand until i told them about the FRS and explained that they are made by toyota... they STILL didnt believe it for a while and thought it was some crappy brand
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #34
mangostick
Banned

Drives: whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Its a common trend amongst car companies in the US. Its to target different demographics.

Scion= affordable, toyota quality
Toyota= the mainstay, for those more established but wanting to stay reasonable
Lexus= upper crust, luxury with quality

To mention abolishing one of toyota's most profitable US market brands is akin to asking toyota to stop selling Tacoma's because you personally dont like them.

One, its never going to happen so keep dreaming.
Two.. why worried about the badge? Are your pants a little too roomy? lol You know no one who knows anything about the car pays any attention to the badging.
mangostick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mangostick For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. You already have a thread open for your BRZ buddies, asking why the BRZ is "better" than an FR-S. I'd rather own a Toyota/Scion any day, for several reasons. I don't quite understand or get why some (not all) BRZ owners have such a superiority complex.

Some of you BRZ owners need to stop this way of thinking. You're no better than the rest of us. You guys drive the same car as the rest of us. Stop putting your car on a pedestal above ours. We all have the same, fun, enjoyable cars. It's your type of thinking, that give Subie owners a bad name. This thread is just ridiculous.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #36
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
i like the brand. your poll is crap.
+1

Not sure why Mr. Noodles is asking, especially considering he's in Canada where Scion just launched in '12.

In Japan Toyota has several different brand divisions, not just a separate luxury brand. I don't care if people think my car is a cheap brand. Like the Mustangs this car manages to transcend all classes.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #37
mangostick
Banned

Garage
One isn't better than the other. /story. They're the same car with some cosmetic and accessory differences. Its like comparing a Trans Am to a Camaro.

IMHO if someone seriously thinks the BRZ is better or the FRS is worse they're just attempting to justify spending more for cushy interior gadgets that a true sporty car doesn't need. Neither car is "better" than the other. The differences are subjective (aka "beauty in the eye of the beholder")

But that's just my opinion so take with grain of salt. I hate the outside looks of the BRZ personally... and the scoobie dealers are gouging on the prices.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #38
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
Its a common trend amongst car companies in the US. Its to target different demographics.

Scion= affordable, toyota quality
Toyota= the mainstay, for those more established but wanting to stay reasonable
Lexus= upper crust, luxury with quality

To mention abolishing one of toyota's most profitable US market brands is akin to asking toyota to stop selling Tacoma's because you personally dont like them.

One, its never going to happen so keep dreaming.
Two.. why worried about the badge? Are your pants a little too roomy? lol You know no one who knows anything about the car pays any attention to the badging.
it's an opinion poll, not about me dominating the world. chill
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #39
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. You already have a thread open for your BRZ buddies, asking why the BRZ is "better" than an FR-S. I'd rather own a Toyota/Scion any day, for several reasons. I don't quite understand or get why some (not all) BRZ owners have such a superiority complex.

Some of you BRZ owners need to stop this way of thinking. You're no better than the rest of us. You guys drive the same car as the rest of us. Stop putting your car on a pedestal above ours. We all have the same, fun, enjoyable cars. It's your type of thinking, that give Subie owners a bad name. This thread is just ridiculous.
Since they all paid more than we did they have to have their fun somehow. In fact, a lot of them paid "a lot" more for their cars than we did. Then if you want to go up a tier they have the Limited. When the triplets (Toyota, Scion, Subaru) first hit the market I thought I would go with the BRZ limited because of the seats but then I learned I had to take navigation which to me is dumb since I know how to read a map and I would also have to swallow having a spoiler which is nothing but added rice as far as I'm concerned, I went with the simplicity of the Scion. Besides it's the better looking car.

p.s. I didn't vote.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (02-05-2013), mangostick (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #40
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
Since they all paid more than we did they have to have their fun somehow. In fact, a lot of them paid "a lot" more for their cars than we did. Then if you want to go up a tier they have the Limited. When the triplets (Toyota, Scion, Subaru) first hit the market I thought I would go with the BRZ limited because of the seats but then I learned I had to take navigation which to me is dumb since I know how to read a map and I would also have to swallow having a spoiler which is nothing but added rice as far as I'm concerned, I went with the simplicity of the Scion. Besides it's the better looking car.

p.s. I didn't vote.
Exactly my thoughts!
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
mangostick (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #41
mangostick
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
it's an opinion poll, not about me dominating the world. chill
lol. your the one suggesting genocide. You chill
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mangostick For This Useful Post:
chenshuo (02-04-2013), kthxbai (02-05-2013), Speedy000 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #42
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post

huh? what have u been reading? the pist in the brz section was asking why they chose what they chose, just like i have the same post in the frs section asking owners why they chose what they chose. why are u and some others so sensitive?
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote