follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #29
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@nikitopo can you post a picture of the result?

Thanks!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #30
BRZHarley

Drives: 69 Firebird, 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok.

For those who are interested this my review of the Speedfactory Braille kit...

1st the battery is a lead acid product that is compatible with our charging systems. A big win...

2nd the hold down components are very nice except for the battery tray, it is pretty cheap and thin...

Installation is straight forward no need to modify anything... I did reroute the accessory 12 on the main terminal..

Now for usage... I daily drive in good weather so the car has set for several days at a time without starting problems ... I don't run any electrically intensive accessories on my car, completely factory. Now this battery will not sustain long periods in accessory mode with the engine off! I was at a car show in July and had my left my car in accessory for nearly an hour and the battery struggled to start the engine... No jump or charging was required.

Overall I'm very pleased with the setup and recommend the kit for those who don't want to fab there own hold down. The battery itself can be had from any source including Amazon. The dollar per pound lost is better than other mod I've done to date...

Ed
BRZHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #31
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
@nikitopo can you post a picture of the result?

Thanks!
Yes sure, check below:

The changed Rod-Battery Fix is longer and has a new mounting point. This point is available from the factory. Check red circle below:

The Tray-Battery and Holder-Battery Fix are also changed because of the battery smaller dimensions.

Check also this post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26051
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-28-2017), JazzleSAURUS (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #32
JazzleSAURUS

Excellent post, that's very helpful.

I'm a believer in the Odyssey lightweights, as well as creating additional performance through the creative use of modified OEM, or OEM components from other vehicles, so I really like your solution. Nicely done!

If I get around to the Odyssey soon I'll do something similar to yours and post pics.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #33
BRZtoni
Turbo E85

Drives: 13 wrb brz
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
What batteries are out there that are superior to the OEM rubbish but shave a few pounds?
I'm looking for the best weight reduction I can get on my BRZ that I STILL DAILY DRIVE (but also AutoX and will soon be tracking).
Thoughts?

Anyone daily drive on the FT-86 Speedfactory lightweight battery kit? ( http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft-8...l#.Vp690OtJqWW )
im currently using that battery and use to daily drive my brz - i do have a battery tender on it . i have no issues with it. fitment with the kit is nice definetly helps with reducing weight
Old 08-03-2016, 03:02 AM   #34
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZtoni View Post
im currently using that battery and use to daily drive my brz - i do have a battery tender on it . i have no issues with it. fitment with the kit is nice definetly helps with reducing weight
Yeah I've actually had that kit since two or three weeks since I posted that. I don't have mine on a tender but so far it hasn't died once (I'm sort of anal about battery drain though). It's a good cut in weight, and it leaves room for other things in the engine bay too.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #35
RFB

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Smile SHORAI

I discharged my Shorai to the point of no return after the first year, (with the Shorai charger it would NOT charge up again), I don't use the Shorai charger as a tender except in the winter or if I don't use the car for a week or so.

HOWEVER -

After using a cheap crappy tire hi amp charger the mini battery came to life.
Been a great battery for several years, still goin strong ! ( and I still don't use the Shorai charger as a tender except in the winter or if I don't use the car for a week).

RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #36
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
I discharged my Shorai to the point of no return after the first year, (with the Shorai charger it would NOT charge up again), I don't use the Shorai charger as a tender except in the winter or if I don't use the car for a week or so.

HOWEVER -

Been a great battery for several years, still goin strong ! ( and I still don't use the Shorai charger as a tender except in the winter or if I don't use the car for a week).

So your synopsis is: Great battery, crap charger?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #37
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post

HOWEVER -

I did the same thing as well, accidentally left the dome light on and killed my shorai. I couldn't recover it with the shorai BMS, but I managed to bring it back to life using a DC power supply. After enough charge, I reconditioned it with the Shorai BMS. I haven't bothered putting it back in my car though, had to get back to work so I put in the original battery.
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #38
RFB

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
So your synopsis is: Great battery, crap charger?

Seems to me,
an expensive low power non sulfating battery TENDER, as opposed to a cheap hi current hi amp non sulfating battery CHARGER, and yeah - a great battery .

RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #39
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I am using a Yuasa 44B19L battery:

It is almost half the weight of the OEM battery and still useful in a daily driven car. It fits perfectly in the BRZ RA's battery holder (Japan spec). So, no need for custom solutions.

I replaced the following Subaru parts. Part numbers are for the new ones:

Tray-Battery
82122CA010 x 1

Rod-Battery Fix
82161AG001 x 1

Holder-Battery Fix
82182AG010 x 1

Dimensions of the battery:
Length (mm) 187
Width (mm) 127
Height (mm) 225

Any other battery with similar dimensions will work.
O___O came across some picture compare to stock size
Attached Images

chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (04-06-2020), FeRS (02-26-2022), T-Steve (07-17-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #40
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
O___O came across some picture compare to stock size

Yes the battery tray and holder are much smaller. There also other solutions for lightweight batteries, but I liked this one because it is stock.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-12-2017), funwheeldrive (07-28-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #41
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Hmm, the battery tray I ordered with that part number doesn't look quite the same
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #42
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ_F View Post
I got this Shorai battery https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which weighs about 3 pounds and was decently priced. It's been on since April 15 and hasn't given me any issues here in the Los Angeles weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is most likely what I will do but will go with the larger shorai at about 5lbs so I got more juice DDing in the winter. Looks you just used some spacers with mostly stock mounting?

Tags
battery, daily driver, lightweight battery, track, weight reduction