follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Aftermarket exhaust and your warranty, what say you?

I had this in a thread of mine, but not getting any traction so I thought to simply ask. I did do a search and could not come up with a discussion on this so I apologize in advance if I am simply blind.

As I am still a noob to this forum I have been reading and looking till my eyes hurt, "literally" Very good entertaining and educational forum BTW pat yourselves all on back.

Now... I wanted to know as I see well everyone jumping into aftermarket exhaust systems. Some much farther then I am considering for sure.
The question is are you simply not worried about how in any way it could affect your warranty? Or have some of you consulted in depth with your dealers and there is ZERO to worry about?

I am expecting delivery within a few weeks. I do have the choice of course to go with TRD exhaust to me is fine... HOWEVER I do realize it is very overpriced for what you get BUT there is also zero question in my mind that I will not be hassled in any way as well.

I do not think or feel that there would be any ways if you are going to either just mid pipe & catbacks that there would or should be any issue. I just always think that if some stupid ECU thing, or motor related issue came about could they point at you and make a big deal of a simple aftermarket exhaust?

Wondering if anyone could share their knowledge and experience on this specific topic please?

I REALLY Like the sound of the Lachute system, as well as FT86 speedfactories sytem to, and Perrin lastly.

Any thoughts and known discussions and experiences are very appreciated, thank you for your time!!!!!
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OICU812 For This Useful Post:
Kwisak (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
EJ33177

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Ashpahlt AT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I had my car in for warranty work for 34 days (CEL of death), my car had an Airaid intake and Nameless axel back. Dealership didn't say a word about it. As long as whatever aftermarket part(s) you have on cannot be directly linked to whatever the issue is you should be fine. Example: if you put on an aftermarket exhaust system and bring your car in for say condensation in the tail lights the dealership will have to honor the warranty as the exhaust has nothing to do with leaky tail lights.
EJ33177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
Kwisak

Drives: 2013 BRZ GBS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am with you where I have been wondering the same, I have talked to two different dealers on this the first (service manager at Peoria subaru) said it would be fine as long as its a cat back or axel back, nothing to worry about, the 2nd (service manager at power subaru) said basically that because exhaust is after market and not stock it can adversely affect the car and it could void the warranty at the dealers discression. Makes me worry about it, but I think I am going to go for it any way
Kwisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
civdaddy

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Every dealership/mechanic/service advisor/ is different. If you're worried about keeping your warranty, use trd parts or leave it stock.

</ thread
civdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Well personally I don't think I will really need my warranty because I know I will take good care of it. But if you feel like you really need the warranty and want to wait to add things to your car then wait.

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
MY dealer said a exhaust/intake would not affect my warranty, they have yet to see my lightweight crank pulley.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
Dizz1e

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act"]Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...l-warranty-law

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Dizz1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
TheFunkyMonkey

Drives: A Few...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good morning. I've been lurking here some time as I consider a BRZ. I felt that this thread as best as anyone to make my first post...

I've modded a wide range cars (and bikes) in the past and felt I had some value to add to this conversation. I think the advice that others have provided about consulting with your dealer is a good one. You will be surprised at how different of a perspective you can get from one dealer to another so do your homework up front. At the end of the day if you feel that it's a "grey" topic AND can't afford the potential repairs, then don't do the mods. It was good fatherly advice I received many years ago from my father who always had modded cars and bikes...

With all due respect to "Dizz1e" about posting about MMWA, I wouldn't count on that being your defense... I know from direct experience. Yes, MMWA is in place to protect the consumer yet the consumer RARELY wins a MMWA claim. Why? Two primary reasons: the manufacturer is considered the "expert" when it comes to the vehicle that they have manufactured. You can get all of the expertise you want on your side but this one is difficult to overcome. And secondly, and this is the big one, the manufacturers have much more money than you do (an assumption on my part...) and a legal department a mile wide. They will not hesitate to use it to win the claim. I have access to excellent legal representation and had the money to fight a claim to make a point until my lawyer came back and told me that the manufacturer was going to make an example of me and that if we kept pressing forward, it would cost more than the cost of the car, all the mods and the repairs. I gave up...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and enjoy the heck out of your new car!
TheFunkyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFunkyMonkey For This Useful Post:
OICU812 (04-08-2013), russv (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
I appreciate that advice as well and thank you. I will be making a solid decision today on this as I consult the dealer some more on this, I will speak to who they have in charge on the mechanical & warranty side. I do want the Lachute system to be honest, but like you said if I get a grey area answer, which from one individual I allready did then I will opt the TRD Exhaust. I know it is overpriced for what it is, I am not that blind. However I just do not want to run stock and it does sound better and look better to. Worst thing is where I live there are very limited dealers and this car in general to them is VERY new to say the least. It is not 100% by any stretch what I want absolutely not, but even though this is a cash car I don't have time in my life anymore to argue with folks and stress over such things. I appreciate everyones' time, may you all have a good day.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just swap back to stock if you have to take it to the dealership. If you don't want to go through the hassle, avoid the dealership or don't mod the car.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Thanks for all replies. I had some great discussion with people in the know today. Seems I am ok with going mid pipe and back. So therefore I will try the Lachute system first. Thanks for the good advice and time folks, I appreciate your patience with me.

Shawn
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
MadFRS

Drives: UltraMarine FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I was told by the dealership when I purchased my FRS that you can add almost any aftermarket piece except for Forced Induction and ECU tunes, since these drastically change the factory setup. But exhaust, intake, suspension, wheels, stereo, etc are all good.

But really, can we trust what the dealer says when money isn't on the line? Talk is cheap...
MadFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ33177 View Post
I had my car in for warranty work for 34 days (CEL of death), my car had an Airaid intake and Nameless axel back. Dealership didn't say a word about it. As long as whatever aftermarket part(s) you have on cannot be directly linked to whatever the issue is you should be fine. Example: if you put on an aftermarket exhaust system and bring your car in for say condensation in the tail lights the dealership will have to honor the warranty as the exhaust has nothing to do with leaky tail lights.

Same situation, I asked two of my local Toyota-scion dealer, talked to the store manager, they both had the same word to me was like as long as the aftermarket parts not cause the problem when I bring the car into them, the warranty will be cover.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Drives: Tiguan, S4, SBC 350 Wrangler
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've talked to my area scion rep and the mustached man in charge of toyota warranty, they both told me that as long as my after market parts are not directly at fault of the part under question of warranty, you are fine. However, I do not have that in writing, so don't take mine or their word as set in stone. Every warranty part I've seen with toyota is a case by case thing.